• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

That 2006 OL was devastating!

McNeil, Dielman, Hardwick, Goff, and Olivea. Maybe the best Chargers OL ever.

The 1981/82 OL was pretty spectacular:

Shields, Wilkerson, Macek, White, and Washington.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Does remaining prorated bonus cap impact transfer with him? I didn’t think so but have read that it does - I’m really not sure at all.

I don’t recall anyone who didn’t think his signing was a great move. Not pundits, not analysts, and not in TPB. Hindsight is always clear. I just hope he rebounds next year and we salvage something from it. After next year his cap hit to be on the roster will be more than to cut him and the options will change. his dead cap hit to cut him is $15M in 2024, $10M 2025, $5M 2026.
      Complaining about JCJ and his contract is pointless. You're right, almost everybody praised TT for this move. JCJ was going to be Staley's lockdown corner ala Jalen Ramsey.
      The patellar injury is a bad one. Some don't recover from it. Those that do don't reach their former selves.
      I wouldn't count on JCJ to be a starter for us when he comes back. His contract's out year is 2025... but a post June 1 cut could be applied in 2024 if they just want to rip off the band-aid quickly and use some of that money for Herbie's contract.

IIRC, the 2024 cap space is fine. Then again, a lot of that will be gobbled up with Herbie's 5th year option ($30 mil).

In the end (even if you keep Michael Davis for 2023) the Chargers will have 1 (ASJ) and possibly 2 (Ja'Sir) starting caliber CB's on the roster for 2024.
      If TT doesn't draft a starting CB this year... he'll be forced to next year. I don't know what 2024's CB class looks like... but 2023's class looks real good near the end of the 1st round... just saying.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I think our bigger issue is playcalling and play design, none of that is doing our big uglies, our backs, or justin any favors…IMO our OC is getting out coached on a weekly basis and our offensive players are paying the price…

Lombo is like, ‘here herbert pull some miracle shit outta your ass weekly but not until after I put you in a vice’…there is no offensive identity, no rythm in the play calling…it just feels like their throwing shit at the wall to see if it sticks… it feels like our offense is just out their trying to react to what they think the defense wants to dictate to us rather than putting pressure on the defenses by dictating to them by exploiting their weaknesses…

I know the injuries, I know we’ve played some good defenses too, but I’ll be damned if it doesn’t feel like we play a top 3 defense EVERY week! Why is that? It sure as shit is not the talent, the line is good enough, even without slater probably still mid tier in the league and the skill positions are top shelf in the league,
        I am not smart enough to know if the problems with Lombo’s rush blocking schemes are

1. so uniquely and bizarrely complicated that no OL could ever execute them
        2. typical of NFL blocking schemes but our OL are just not coached well enough to execute them consistently
        3. Normal NFL blocking schemes but our OL players are uniquely not able to execute blocking schemes other players do execute

I doubt #1, Lombo more likely copies basic blocking designs he has seen but maybe he mucked up some mistranslations? Who are our blocking scheme design gurus around here to analyze this question? Are they really so different and hard they cannot be executed?

I strongly doubt #3. we have some smart players on our OL, they are not singularly inept among NFL teams, no way.

By elimination I suspect its mostly #2, based on anecdotal impressions I feel when I see a play that has 3 or 4 defenders swarm a ball carrier with 3 OL blockers standing helpless but within 2 yards of the swarm, like they know they just didnt do it right,

So my hypothesis is bad position group coaching. the fix is not change Lombo’s design but change the methods of OL position coaching and maybe Lombo as overall offense coach as well.

But am I right or wrong? What say ye, thou fine villagers?

Its a new staff, a lot of guys learning to coach at the next levels of their personal experience. Them not knowing the beat ways to teach NFL players would seem possible. Some growth and maturation needed to be expected but its a results business and its year 2, they better show it fast cuz if they don’t cut it its next coach up, just like the players.

Brendan Nugent - first year as an LAC OL coach. Prior to that, coaching assistant 2 yr, then Asst OL coach 4 yrs, OL coach 1 yr in NO. He was fired by NO when Dennis Allen took over, I guess Allen saw or knew enough to know he wanted a change. He hired Doug Marrone, ex-HC at BUF and JAX.

Is this the guy that really needs to be replaced? Both him and Lombo? Just Lombo still?
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

This guy was an unnecessary purchase that's coming back to haunt us... I would give up a second rounder to another team just to unload this guy off the Chargers payroll. Outside of ekeler vato has been the most valuable player dollar for dollar. Everyone else on this list is expendable outside of linsley and he may just retire on us anyways.
          These things happen in the NFL. Signing big name players is always a gamble. The entire Chargers universe was for the this signing when it happened. The Chargers are not the only team who has gambled on a huge FA signing that turned out to be a waste of money. But you don't win in this league if you are not willing to take risks.

Right now I tend to look as JCJ as a $54.375 mil write off because I have serious doubts he can return and play at an elite level again. Players who suffer a ruptured patellar tendon are never the same again, they never regain their previous athleticism.

But in JCJ's place Michael Davis has stepped up. Davis isn't going to be the caliber of CB JCJ was in NE. But he has improved his game and helped fill the hole left by the loss of JCJ. The Chargers' pass D is pretty good.

As an example, look at the 49ers. They invested three 1st round draft choices in QB Trey Lance whom they lost to injury in week 2 and who looked totally lost when he did play and may be a total bust. Then they turned to highly paid backup Jimmy Garoppolo who they lost to injury a few weeks ago. Now they are getting done at QB with the last rookie drafted this year. It's the NFL. Injuries are going to happen. The good teams absorb the blows and move forward with what they have.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Come on guys. Jackson was the number one free agent corner. To some he was the number one free agent, period. Chargers actually signed him to a modest contract for a guy in his position, his age, his prior talent. To say now that it was a bad move, one we didn't need, Chargers should have known, etc is just not fair. His injury was a freak one and cannot fault him or Chargers for that. Should Chargers have not drafted Slater because he tore his bicep in year two?

His play was subpar the few games he was on the field. Have no idea if that would have resolved. But I am not going to arm chair his signing.
            TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              Come on guys. Jackson was the number one free agent corner. To some he was the number one free agent, period. Chargers actually signed him to a modest contract for a guy in his position, his age, his prior talent. To say now that it was a bad move, one we didn't need, Chargers should have known, etc is just not fair. His injury was a freak one and cannot fault him or Chargers for that. Should Chargers have not drafted Slater because he tore his bicep in year two?

His play was subpar the few games he was on the field. Have no idea if that would have resolved. But I am not going to arm chair his signing.
              TG
              It is all 20/20 hindsight. Every honest person here knows that.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• C’monchargers
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I am not smart enough to know if the problems with Lombo’s rush blocking schemes are

1. so uniquely and bizarrely complicated that no OL could ever execute them
                2. typical of NFL blocking schemes but our OL are just not coached well enough to execute them consistently
                3. Normal NFL blocking schemes but our OL players are uniquely not able to execute blocking schemes other players do execute

I doubt #1, Lombo more likely copies basic blocking designs he has seen but maybe he mucked up some mistranslations? Who are our blocking scheme design gurus around here to analyze this question? Are they really so different and hard they cannot be executed?

I strongly doubt #3. we have some smart players on our OL, they are not singularly inept among NFL teams, no way.

By elimination I suspect its mostly #2, based on anecdotal impressions I feel when I see a play that has 3 or 4 defenders swarm a ball carrier with 3 OL blockers standing helpless but within 2 yards of the swarm, like they know they just didnt do it right,

So my hypothesis is bad position group coaching. the fix is not change Lombo’s design but change the methods of OL position coaching and maybe Lombo as overall offense coach as well.

But am I right or wrong? What say ye, thou fine villagers?

Its a new staff, a lot of guys learning to coach at the next levels of their personal experience. Them not knowing the beat ways to teach NFL players would seem possible. Some growth and maturation needed to be expected but its a results business and its year 2, they better show it fast cuz if they don’t cut it its next coach up, just like the players.

Brendan Nugent - first year as an LAC OL coach. Prior to that, coaching assistant 2 yr, then Asst OL coach 4 yrs, OL coach 1 yr in NO. He was fired by NO when Dennis Allen took over, I guess Allen saw or knew enough to know he wanted a change. He hired Doug Marrone, ex-HC at BUF and JAX.

Is this the guy that really needs to be replaced? Both him and Lombo? Just Lombo still?
                If anybody see it different can shed some light on this, but from their recent play, it seems as though the chargers run a predominantly power scheme. Everybody pretty much focus on what’s in front and a guard pull here and there. It is a inherent scheme from pass blocking, since power run blocking scheme is similar if not identical in some instances as standard pass blocking.

Also, you hardly see the linemen push into either direction or actively climbing into the secondary. Imo they are not playing a big play running game but rather one that sort of focus on moving chain, keep the drive alive; time of possession type scheme. It is geared to fit a system that suited for a pass heavy game plan.

in addition, a RB that runs the zone prototypically should be bigger, stronger but fast enough to one cut and power through the secondary and get on a foot race. The Titans demonstrated that very well. Ekeler’s running style (shorter, strong, quick backs) can run, stop, find gaps, kick into gear again and go, plays very well into the power scheme; you can’t find him among the mountain of linemen and there he goes.)

Hint or bigger backs doesn’t really eat in the Chargers’ system, only when they start playing to the scheme then they can get some success but that’s just inefficient imo.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

This guy was an unnecessary purchase that's coming back to haunt us... I would give up a second rounder to another team just to unload this guy off the Chargers payroll. Outside of ekeler vato has been the most valuable player dollar for dollar. Everyone else on this list is expendable outside of linsley and he may just retire on us anyways.
                  That would not be a wise move BUT, trading him after June 1st would only be a 5 mil dead cap and save12 million the cap. With that type of injury though, i wouldnt count on it.

Agree to the above from others, nobody thought it wasnt a good signing when it happened.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That would not be a wise move BUT, trading him after June 1st would only be a 5 mil dead cap and save12 million the cap. With that type of injury though, i wouldnt count on it.

Agree to the above from others, nobody thought it wasnt a good signing when it happened.
                    It's not the contractual amount that kills teams it's the guaranteed money aspect of it. I think there needs to be an NFL players lemon law enacted. :>)
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

It's not the contractual amount that kills teams it's the guaranteed money aspect of it. I think there needs to be an NFL players lemon law enacted. :>)
                      I look at it from the owner's side and the player's side too. Every time a player takes the field for his team/ownership, he risks injury that could alter or end his career. JCJ didn't want to be injured and he's certainly not gold-bricking it. He deserves to be compensated for the guaranteed portion of his contract, especially for an injury that threatens his career.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I look at it from the owner's side and the player's side too. Every time a player takes the field for his team/ownership, he risks injury that could alter or end his career. JCJ didn't want to be injured and he's certainly not gold-bricking it. He deserves to be compensated for the guaranteed portion of his contract, especially for an injury that threatens his career.
                        That's fine but when did the NFL transform itself into the executive Golden Parachute platform. There should be a max cost for this and not a $50 mil deal. Mark my words...this deal will have negative ramifications on future contracts as well as the Russel Wilson debacle.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

It's a tough question. Going back about fifty years, the owners refused to guarantee a player's salary. After a bit some of them started using the guarantee to attact players.0 Soon, everyone was doing it. So in a way, the owners brought this problem on themselves.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X