• Show
Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

I hope Kendricks isn't a repeat of Tommie Davis.

I'm not with the crowd that hates players that leave the team. For instance, I still think Weddle was a great player for us.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
      I hope Kendricks isn't a repeat of Tommie Davis.

I'm not with the crowd that hates players that leave the team. For instance, I still think Weddle was a great player for us.
      I was pulling for the Rams in the playoffs with Weddle.
      I was a Jets fan in the playoffs in 2010.
      I was a Colts fan in 2020.

If Rivers went to New England or Weddle to K.C.: that would have been a tough pill to swallow.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

The worst thing i seen is J. Seau in a Patriots uniform !

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Not for lack of intelligence: Tranq just won the Chess.com 2023 BlitzChamps II tournament​. If his assignment was confusing to him, blame Staley.

BlitzChamps II (BC2) brings together eight NFL stars on June 23 at 9 a.m. Pacific/12 p.m. Eastern to compete in a series of rapid chess games. The event is a single-elimination bracket featuring a $100,000 charitable prize fund.

In my opinion, both White and Tranquill lacked the instinct to play the run at a high level: invariably choosing the wrong gap.

Does Henley have the instinct? All three converted to inside linebacker from less physical positions.
          ​
          Tournament chess allows 2 hours for the 1st 40 moves. We measure football moves in hundredths of a second.
          Communicating plays, reading and reacting in those .01 sec intervals was the issue. Not planning a strategy in the same quarter.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Not for lack of intelligence: Tranq just won the Chess.com 2023 BlitzChamps II tournament​. If his assignment was confusing to him, blame Staley.

BlitzChamps II (BC2) brings together eight NFL stars on June 23 at 9 a.m. Pacific/12 p.m. Eastern to compete in a series of rapid chess games. The event is a single-elimination bracket featuring a $100,000 charitable prize fund.

In my opinion, both White and Tranquill lacked the instinct to play the run at a high level: invariably choosing the wrong gap.

Does Henley have the instinct? All three converted to inside linebacker from less physical positions.
            ​
            Tournament chess allows 2 hours for the 1st 40 moves. Blitz games 1-5 minutes per move. We measure football moves in hundredths of a second.
            Communicating plays, reading and reacting in those .01 sec intervals was the issue. Not planning a strategy in 60 seconds or more.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Tournament chess allows 2 hours for the 1st 40 moves. We measure football moves in hundredths of a second.
              Communicating plays, reading and reacting in those .01 sec intervals was the issue. Not planning a strategy in the same quarter.
              This tournament gave a very brief time limit between moves.

Either way, Tranquil being slow to diagnose plays would not be due to a general inability to process things rapidly.

Tranquill, White & currently Murray (all three) have been given the dreaded slow to recognize plays label as Charger inside linebackers.
              Murray had a better than decent Wonderlic score.

Questioning their intelligence is not a good indication as to why they were having problems.

I'm open to your line of reasoning as to why they seem to be lacking in the recognition department.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                And Rodney, uugh!

I must have unconsciously suppressed it.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Either way, Tranquil being slow to diagnose plays would not be due to a general inability to process things rapidly.

Tranquill, White & currently Murray (all three) have been given the dreaded slow to recognize plays label as Charger inside linebackers.

Questioning their intelligence is not a good indication as to why they were having problems.

I'm open to your line of reasoning as to why they seem to be lacking in the recognition department.
                  Hmmm….at a certain point you have to look at coaching g don’t you? Or does every player that comes through have the same problem?

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Addressing Tranquill and the green dot only. Split duties, Take the play called in and communicate with other 10 players as needed. while making reads and choosing an appropriate reaction. More like boxing than chess. Read the body language of the offense while communicating with his defense.
                    IQ is great. Instinct, reaction time and being a gifted field leader is required to wear the green dot and do it well.
                    Murray had the same problem in college. A+ athlete, slow to diagnose. Seau used to commit quickly and made a lot of plays even if he was wrong.
                    Murray needs some of that.
                    White was a big S. Played like one. I liked him but never thought he was MLB material.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                      I agree and Rodney too. They were the very best players on our defense. I still think Seau was an all-time great at the LB position.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Hmmm….at a certain point you have to look at coaching g don’t you? Or does every player that comes through have the same problem?
                        We have a new player, Kendricks, and a new ILB coach, Jeff Howard. Same old, lame old? We'll see.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

A dispiriting trend for the Chargers: Tranquill was made the green dot guy with not a wealth of starting experience at inside linebacker.

One year at Notre Dame?
                          One year part time starter for the Chargers (2021)?

What is it with this franchise?
                          If Kendricks has lost only a step, and gets up to speed quickly, it should make a difference.
                          The SJD sideline dust-up was an indicator that maybe Tranquill was not cut-out to be Staley's green dot.
                          As a pass defender, he had the instincts and physical abilities. As a run-stopper... he didn't have either.

His play against Jacksonville was embarrassing. I'm ready to move on. Find people who can do the job.

It's why SJD and Austin Johnson were brought in to replace Joseph and Jones. Fox replaced Tillery. Mack replaced Nwosu. Kendricks will replace Tranquill. Henly will replace K9 eventually. The offensive line was re-built with a proven veteran center... and high draft picks. That's what you do if you want to be great. That's what you have to do if you want to compete with Chiefs, Bengals, and Bills for the next 5-10 years.
                          ​

Comment

Working...
                          X