• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I have a great deal of Scandinavian heritage and most of my family was from and still lives in Minnesota. If they had a mascot like you mentioned, just about everyone I know would find it funny as hell. People are looking for stuff to be offended about these days.
    I think the principle remains that it's cool to make fun of your own, but not cool to make fun of that which is "other", because at its foundation it is hostility.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by YAC View Post

Don't think that kind of thing is ok to talk about here. But since you asked: Absolutely not. His words: "My kingdom is not of this world." Never attempted to change the political, economic structure of the world.
      "Love your neighbor as yourself".

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

The same guy that predicted the Chiefs would go 20-0 this year?
        Yes, he said it was possible. But then on a segment in which he as asked to name the division winner that was the strongest lock to repeat he said he couldn't pick the Chiefs because of the Chargers. He speaks frequently about his respect for Justin Herbert, the team the Chargers have built and how they always play the Chiefs close.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

I grew up in Julian. There are many Native American reservations in the local area. I had many Native American friends. I dated a Native American girl while in high school. Most of the time, they referred to themselves as "Native People" or "Original People". Sometimes people referred to Native Americans as Indians. But that (mostly) just got you laughed at... since the origins were born from ignorance (Europeans thinking they had landed in India).

I can guarantee you, I never used the word Redskin while visiting "The Rez". In fact, I never used the word Redskin at all... it just didn't play well in the community. There were a few people in the community that did use the word... it just didn't end well for them... LOL!

I had an African American friend in college that used to refer to white people as "cocks"... short for "caucasian" LOL! I guess turnabout is fair play... He didn't use the term while I was around. I didn't really care... I thought it was funny as hell. I've got thick skin. Besides, some of them truly deserved the label...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

I lived right next store to an American Indian for many years and he used to laugh at the uproar about the Redskins name. He still calls them the Redskins to this day and pointed out that this topic, like just about everything else in today's world, is appeasing a tiny amount of vocal people on the fringe. They literally don't care and don't even think about it unless it's brought up in the press by people with an agenda.

I have a great deal of Scandinavian heritage and most of my family was from and still lives in Minnesota. If they had a mascot like you mentioned, just about everyone I know would find it funny as hell. People are looking for stuff to be offended about these days.
            How old was / is he? I don’t doubt many Native Americans don’t give a shit about it. I still cringe at the term but you know how woke I am (lol). If I owned a team, no way I apply a skin-color caricature of any race as my team name.

I had no idea Scandinavians were notorious for being drunk. I think of them as a land filled with gorgeous women in hot tubs eating stinky nasty pickled fish. I actually did have something like 25% Swedish (US adapted to Johnsons).

WTF - don’t try steal my Irish Pride, drunk is our thing!
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• cmplxgal
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • New Jersey
              • Send PM

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

How old was / is he? I don’t doubt many Native Americans don’t give a shit about it. I still cringe at the term but you know how woke I am (lol). If I owned a team, no way I apply a skin-color caricature of any race as my team name.

I had no idea Scandinavians were notorious for being drunk. I think of them as a land filled with gorgeous women in hot tubs eating stinky nasty pickled fish. I actually did have something like 25% Swedish (US adapted to Johnsons).

In his 30s.

If people want to be offended, they can find all kind of reasons to be offended. I consider that an utter waste of time, but that is just me. If we focus on things that really matter and affect people the world would be a lot better off instead of worry about shit like micro aggressions.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

And I would counter, "If people want to be offensive, they can find all kinds of ways to be offensive".

As a teacher, I spend a lot of time teaching kids that what they say and do (offensive in nature) does affect the people around them. Micro aggressions affect my ability to teach (and a child's ability to learn in a safe place). I teach The Golden Rule to my students. In the end, The Golden Rule protects them, as well.

The saddest day I had as a teacher was the day a kid told me that another kid told him to go back to Iraq with his family.
                  1) The kid was from Kurdistan.
                  2) Both parents were dead.
                  The kid was devastated. Once the bully found out the real story... he was devastated, too.

Off my soapbox.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

It could also be part of the culture of the 50s,60s, and 70s time period. Everyone was part of the rat pack with smokes and cocktails....Also, it could be a case by case family lifestyle type thing so I can only give my historical view point. For the most part the family was friendly but mischievous drinkers...Clever witty insults combined with cocktails...there are numerous shows on netflix that actually captures the spirit of these cultural aspects...

I grew up during Christmas Holidays eating Lutefisk (Lyefish) a sort of gelatinous fish which is put into Potato like burrito wrappers smothered in butter. That's another thing..."Butter is not just a food but a Beverage!" for Scandinavians.... Butter Butter and more Butter...
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

Mad Men is an excellent one !

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

If I'm a Titans fan? I'm feeling pretty depressed about what I saw today from Ryan Tannehill.

Comment

• YAC
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2023
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
                          "Love your neighbor as yourself".
                          That's got nothing to do w/woke.

Comment

Working...
                          X