Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

Trading Waller would only weaken the Raiders IMHO. So I am all for it.........
    At least immediately, so yes, please let this happen.
    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

At least immediately, so yes, please let this happen.
      I wonder what the packers would be willing to give up for him. I also wonder if they tried to get him included in the Adam’s trade and the raiders refused. It would definitely hurt the raiders to move on from waller…
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        I'm reading all over the place that the Raiders and Packers are in negotiations to trade Darren Waller. There was some friction between Waller and the Raiders during that stretch last season where he missed a bunch of games with an injury. I don't know what it was exactly, but I remember Waller not being happy, reportedly. It might have been, and I think it was, about his contract. He signed a five year contract back in 2019 that is going to pay him $6.25 mil per over the next two seasons. He probably feels he is grossly underpaid, given the explosion in WR salaries. I know he is a TE, but before Davante Adams came aboard he was Carr's No. 1 receiver. And having acquired and paid Adams, they can't afford to pay Waller too, is my guess. The Packers are very receiver needy, and they got out of having to pay Adams, so Waller might be a welcome fit for A Rod up in Green Bay.
        The fact that the Raiders are even TALKING to the Packers about a Waller deal is telling:

"In professional sports as a whole, not just the NFL, every organization will eventually run into a time when they have to make a tough decision about keeping a superstar player who is beloved by the fanbase. Players get older and want more money while teams have an eye toward the future and are worried about the bottom line and/or the salary cap. For the Las Vegas Raiders and tight end Darren Waller, that difficult decision could be coming sooner rather than later.

Per Aaron Nagler of Cheesehead TV, the Green Bay Packers and the Raiders have engaged in trade talks for Waller.
        “According to a pair of league sources...the Packers are targeting a veteran tight end. Specifically, Las Vegas Raiders tight end Darren Waller,” writes Nagler. “The Packers and Raiders have engaged in talks regarding a trade of Waller with an eye toward a deal getting done during this week’s NFL draft.”

“Waller is also apparently the player the Packers were trying to pry away from the Raiders during the negotiations around the trade of Davante Adams, a move that was nixed when both sides were reminded that league rules prohibit players being part of compensation for a trade of a player on an unsigned franchise tag.”

“Waller will turn 30 in September and still has two years remaining on his deal, one which features no more guaranteed money remaining on it.”

“No word yet on what kind of compensation is being discussed or offered by the Packers.”

Nagler scratched the surface on why Las Vegas might be looking to deal its superstar tight end. Waller is about to be on the wrong side of 30, has an expiring contractlast year of their contracts.

So, taking all of this into consideration, the new regime might be hesitant to offer Waller a contract extension this offseason. In fact, The Athletic’s Vic Tafur even said last week on the State of the Nation podcast that a split between the two sides could be coming.
        “Moreau will be a lot more affordable than Darren Waller, but I think you can probably get Renfrow and Moreau done,” Tafur said. “You have all these new contracts. You have Chandler Jones, Davante Adams, and now [Derek] Carr. I kind of feel like Waller is kind of the odd man out. I think he probably won’t be here past this year, but you never know.”

Tafur didn’t even mention Maxx Crosby’s new deal in that quote, but the point is, the math might not work out in the Raiders’ favor and they could end up losing one of their best players for nothing if they wait too long.

The part that doesn’t make sense from the Silver and Black’s perspective is why now?

They’ve already handed out a bunch of cash this offseason but are still in the black by about $5.1 million per OverTheCap.com’seffective cap space calculation, and the moves they’ve made suggest they’re going after a Super Bowl run this season. Also, they’ll get some money back on June 2nd, when Cory Littleton’s and Carl Nassib’s contracts come off the books, meaning they have plenty of breathing room cap-wise. So why get rid of a premier player who still has two years left on his contract?"

Comment

• AL9000
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2022
          • San Diego, CA
          • Send PM

There were rumors at the end of last season that Waller wanted a trade and refused to stay with the team if Carr was extended.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post
              And 6 WR’s went in the first round

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post
                QBs are king, WRs are easy to get.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

I can see TT and Staley going after a RT and DB depth in free agency still. Say Daryl Williams and Bryce Callahan or Kevin King. That’s on top of some late round developmental prospects.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

The Raiders decline the 5th year options on all three of their 2019 1st round draft picks.

Raiders decline fifth-year options for DE Clelin Ferrell, RB Josh Jacobs, DB Johnathan Abram (nfl.com)

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
                      The Raiders decline the 5th year options on all three of their 2019 1st round draft picks.

Raiders decline fifth-year options for DE Clelin Ferrell, RB Josh Jacobs, DB Johnathan Abram (nfl.com)
                      Talk about a fail.
                      ironically these are the extra picks from the Mack trade.
                      Ha!
                      P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                      P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                      P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                      P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

The decision not to option Jacobs surprised me, but then I read they want to keep him, they just don't want to pay him the guaranteed money he would get under the option. It's part of the devaluation of the RB position.

Comment

• Boltx
                          Dominate the day
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

We probably don't have the money that Jacobs would want, but it would be nice to weaken the Raiders and he would make a helluva tandem with Ekeler.
                          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

Working...
                          X