• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I feel like Justin Herbert is the type to do a team friendly deal in the future like Brady or Mahomes where they don't try to get every dime and will leave some on the table to help build the team. I think JH10 knows he can make up those dollars by winning and having endorsements. And taking a bit less will mean more wins because that extra cap space can help build a better team around him. So they can do things like go get a Xavien Howard and resign their star players. And not worry too much about the cap space to give JH10 his multi year extension when it's time.

I'm not sure I'd call the $503 million dollar contract extension that Mahomes signed as something that helps build the team...

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Will be expensive but would take a future need away with an established All-Pro caliber CB.
      Let us concentrate on EDGE, IDL, TE, OL in the 2022 offseason.
      I definitely don’t hate the idea.

Derwin, Nasir, Vato, Howard, and CHJR/Samuel Jr would be a top 5 DB group.
      ^ This...Edge and IDL are two biggest needs...

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

^ This...Edge and IDL are two biggest needs...
        LAC has eight Edge/ OLB and ten IDL on the roster. Starters are locked in.
        I'm waiting for a few weeks of training camp before I worry about the depth.
        Let the coaches get a look at them in helmets & pads, see how well they handle what's asked of them.
        No point in arguing about names since they haven't played a snap yet for Staley but there are several players that IMO have a shot at doing will.

Now show us.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I'm not sure I'd call the $503 million dollar contract extension that Mahomes signed as something that helps build the team...
          One thing I have learned about the cap with the Saints. Its a year to year proposition if you are a team that on paper, seems like they can win. The Saints were kind of that team If you have the cash, you can always make it work.

And a QB making a lot of money is to me a BS excuse. Herbert should take every damn dollar he can get. He doesn't need to take a hometown discount as there are always ways to create cap space. Now for the Chargers - since Dean is not likely to do what the Saints did. The Spanni are good about spending to the cap but they are not the type to really rob Peter to pay Paul. So for Deano, maybe saving a bit of cap space like this offseason - is pragmatic for the future. But the more I see, the more I like the Saints model - year to year baby. Figure it out year to year

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

One thing I have learned about the cap with the Saints. Its a year to year proposition if you are a team that on paper, seems like they can win. The Saints were kind of that team If you have the cash, you can always make it work.

And a QB making a lot of money is to me a BS excuse. Herbert should take every damn dollar he can get. He doesn't need to take a hometown discount as there are always ways to create cap space. Now for the Chargers - since Dean is not likely to do what the Saints did. The Spanni are good about spending to the cap but they are not the type to really rob Peter to pay Paul. So for Deano, maybe saving a bit of cap space like this offseason - is pragmatic for the future. But the more I see, the more I like the Saints model - year to year baby. Figure it out year to year
            They need to create a fan base in L.A. soon or they are off to London. 2nd place finishes in the AFC west the next decade will get them nowhere.
            Nothing pragmatic about perpetually sitting on your hands.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

They need to create a fan base in L.A. soon or they are off to London. 2nd place finishes in the AFC west the next decade will get them nowhere.
              Nothing pragmatic about perpetually sitting on your hands.
              My statement was more with how Dean has managed his cap in years past and to pay for Herbert - they might need to save up cap space

But to your bigger point that you bolded - I agree. This next offseason - presuming Herbert gets better and Staley is as good on the sidelines as he has been so far -- it will be time for Dean to push the cap a bit more.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Posted so Boltjolt can sleep better at night.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Not a fan of he who spends the most wins the most. Spends most wisely, OK.
                  I'm a big fan of the 2021 OL investment. Now. Later?
                  ..But that's always what FA $ buy: a seat at the table. We think we can compete, until the wheels fall off.

The Spanos have gambled big on Staley and OL.
                  I'm in.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                    Not a fan of he who spends the most wins the most. Spends most wisely, OK.
                    I'm a big fan of the 2021 OL investment. Now. Later?
                    ..But that's always what FA $ buy: a seat at the table. We think we can compete, until the wheels fall off.

The Spanos have gambled big on Staley and OL.
                    I'm in.
                    More Like an Investment versus a gamble. It's not like Staley doesn't have a track record and he's also surrounded himself with a competent staff. Mistakes will happen your just not going to see it four games in a row!

:cheers:
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Posted so Boltjolt can sleep better at night.
                      Wow, if InvisiMel signs with the Chefs, imagine the damage the Bolts will suffer when they pump Ingram for details on the Gus Bradley Picket Fence Defense playbook...oh, the horror...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

More Like an Investment versus a gamble. It's not like Staley doesn't have a track record and he's also surrounded himself with a competent staff. Mistakes will happen your just not going to see it four games in a row!

When I say change their spending - I still think it has to be strategic and the right players. Spending to spend hasn't won many teams very much. Plus I think the team needs to be MUCH closer to winning than they are now.

I am excited to see what Staley does though -- meaning not just talking to the media - but really coaching games.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I like your perspective.

I expect that the '21 D will get more takeaways, force more punts. Play avg or better on special teams and the offense will enjoy better field position.
                          Playoffs!

Comment

Working...
                          X