What is the NFL liable for?

Comment

• Trumpet Man
      Dea Spanos my HERO
      • Dec 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

What is the NFL liable for?
      Well all sorts of things I am not sure where to start ?

How about setting an NFL precedent when a players heart stops and what is that worth for a charity donation ? It gets better ....

This generally requires a vote of the NFL owners because it is their money not Lord Goodell's. You need a majority vote of the owner's to loosen the purse strings and that is no easy task.

Is it one dollar or a 10 million dollars ?

It gets "sticky" and with rich people that usually involves attorneys.

What will the NFL be liable for in the future with similar incidents ?

I don't know ?

That is a question best answered by the legal eagles and loss prevention insurance carriers.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Trumpet Man View Post

How about setting an NFL precedent when a players heart stops and what is that worth for a charity donation ? It gets better ....

This generally requires a vote of the NFL owners because it is their money not Lord Goodell's. You need a majority vote of the owner's to loosen the purse strings and that is no easy task.

I don't know ?

That is a question best answered by the legal eagles and loss prevention insurance carriers.
        What happened was horrible, but I'm scratching my head on why the NFL would be liable for anything and how a charity comes in to play. I'm not being obtuse and am not an attorney but doesn't the league have to be negligible for something to get sued? Football is a violent sport and bad injuries happen all the time - not sure what the grounds for a lawsuit would be.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
          Dea Spanos my HERO
          • Dec 2022
          • Send PM

What happened was horrible, but I'm scratching my head on why the NFL would be liable for anything and how a charity comes in to play. I'm not being obtuse and am not an attorney but doesn't the league have to be negligible for something to get sued? Football is a violent sport and bad injuries happen all the time - not sure what the grounds for a lawsuit would be.
          That's why you have attorneys,

You have 32 NFL owners led by an attorney (Lord Goodell) and to cut to the chase, why has it taken so long to donate a dime ?

It would seem to be an easy decision to donate ?

The NFL has a Foundation already set up so that part has been done for years. There are no excuses the way I see not to do something yet crickets .......

Is the NFL waiting for Hamlin to die before they donate or waiting it out until the dust settles ?

Is this a game of what type of mileage does the NFL get donating now versus later and I have no doubt owners are talking about it. It's their money.

I need another michelada thinking about this mess. This is why players like Andrew Luck, Barry Sanders etc etc just say fuck it and retire.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

It’s entertaining for us regular folks to see powerful men tear each other apart, MMA, boxing, football, rugby, wrestling, and to a lesser extent soccer and basketball, baseball is probably one of the safest sports in the world if you don’ get hit with wild pitch in the head…

I bet back in the cave man days members of the clan baited the two largest guys in the clan to fight, just so they could see who was the toughest and strongest…enjoying violent sports goes way back…

I do think football can be made safer, but it would require a monumental culture change from coaches to players, I’ve seen players look out and take care of one another on the field before so I know it’s possible, by choosing not to crush a guy they had dead to rights but instead just making the sure tackle…how often do we see guys giving an opponent a bunch of ‘extra’ shit they didn’t need to give just to make the play? It happens all the time, guys take a running start at RBs that are already stopped and bend them backwards on the pile or twist their heads and upper bodies like they want to break them in half? It happens all the fucking time, lately I’ve been noticing K9 attempt to spear guys already tackled by someone else and it’s only a matter of time before he injures someone or one of his guys, he’s always reading things late so he comes up and hits people late, it’s going to start to draw flags as the league gets a dozier on him…

I think the problem lies with sometimes the less talented players needing to intimidate the opposition in an attempt to create a level playing field and less qualified coaches teach their players not to take care of their opponents because they believe it gives them a better chance at winning…football is dangerous enough without folks making it more so…
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

That's why you have attorneys,

You have 32 NFL owners led by an attorney (Lord Goodell) and to cut to the chase, why has it taken so long to donate a dime ?

It would seem to be an easy decision to donate ?

The NFL has a Foundation already set up so that part has been done for years. There are no excuses the way I see not to do something yet crickets .......

Is the NFL waiting for Hamlin to die before they donate or waiting it out until the dust settles ?

Is this a game of what type of mileage does the NFL get donating now versus later and I have no doubt owners are talking about it. It's their money.

I need another michelada thinking about this mess. This is why players like Andrew Luck, Barry Sanders etc etc just say fuck it and retire.
              You want to sue the NFL for not donating to the kids charity? That’s not crazy, it’s bat shit crazy

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2020
                • Send PM

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2020
                  • Send PM

In no way can the NFL be held liable for a death of a player on a live football field during a match in progress. The NFL has made certain to indemnify themselves through the CBA and various arbitration agreements with the NFLPA that mitigates their liability. The only way they could be held legally culpable is for absolute negligence by NFL officials or willful obstruction by NFL officials to prevent a player's care in case of injuries sustained during a game in progress. Nonetheless, a death would be bad PR, and I'm certain there will an endowment policy for said player that is outside the legal framework and/or requirements that the NFL must abide by.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

I don't know ?

Thats not true - the NFL league offices have a budgeted amount of discretionary public service and charitable funds they can re-allocate around to a new suddenly favored charity. I’ll bet their discretionary budget is well more than 10x numbers being thrown around without having to go to owners for line item votes.

the legal challenge has nothing to do with gifts to charities. The allusion is to the fundamental nature of running a commercial enterprise which at its core is based on having employees perform work tasks that are inherently and visibly dangerous. Make these tasks broadly publicly viewed and you have liability on TV. There is a recurring calculation of future liability and when a player basically drops dead on the field, both actuarial healthcare cost risk and legal financial risk of non-health economic, non-economic and punitive damage judgments can get shook up. Add in the financial risk that negative exposure could drive statutory changes due to an unpleasant nationally broadcast employee death that substantially impact future ongoing concerns and the permutations get very sticky very fast

I suspect its all nothing we ever see on the outside … but beer prices won’t be dropping at SoFi.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Trumpet Man
                      Dea Spanos my HERO
                      • Dec 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

You want to sue the NFL for not donating to the kids charity? That’s not crazy, it’s bat shit crazy
                      Hell I don't want to sue anyone BUT I can see where a pandora's box for all sorts of lawsuits. Maybe I just spent too much time having guns pulled in my office by crazier shit and lawsuits has jaded my faith in mankind. It's not the fact they are not donating anything - yet - it is the shade on the whole process. If fans can muster up $5 million for Hamlin Children's fund drive - where is the NFL ?
                      I have been witness to batshit crazy lawsuits to the tune of a Billion dollars with former employers.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
                        Dea Spanos my HERO
                        • Dec 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Thats not true - the NFL league offices have a budgeted amount of discretionary public service and charitable funds they can re-allocate around to a new suddenly favored charity. I’ll bet their discretionary budget is well more than 10x numbers being thrown around without having to go to owners for line item votes.

the legal challenge has nothing to do with gifts to charities. The allusion is to the fundamental nature of running a commercial enterprise which at its core is based on having employees perform work tasks that are inherently and visibly dangerous. Make these tasks broadly publicly viewed and you have liability on TV. There is a recurring calculation of future liability and when a player basically drops dead on the field, both actuarial healthcare cost risk and legal financial risk of non-health economic, non-economic and punitive damage judgments can get shook up. Add in the financial risk that negative exposure could drive statutory changes due to an unpleasant nationally broadcast employee death that substantially impact future ongoing concerns and the permutations get very sticky very fast

I suspect its all nothing we ever see on the outside … but beer prices won’t be dropping at SoFi.
                        I am reasonably assured any disbursements for a precedent setting event with all the social media exposures will require a vote of ownership despite a petty cash fund for lack of a better phrase or a "line item" designation.

The rich do not grant carte blanche spending when millions are involved or leave that decision to Lord Goodell unilaterally. I just don't think the NFL works that way with owners personal pocketbooks.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Hell I don't want to sue anyone BUT I can see where a pandora's box for all sorts of lawsuits. Maybe I just spent too much time having guns pulled in my office by crazier shit and lawsuits has jaded my faith in mankind. It's not the fact they are not donating anything - yet - it is the shade on the whole process. If fans can muster up $5 million for Hamlin Children's fund drive - where is the NFL ?
                          I have been witness to batshit crazy lawsuits to the tune of a Billion dollars with former employers.
                          You’re right. In America, anyone can sue for anything. I could sue the NFL for the trauma of having witnessed a guy essentially dying and being revived on the field when my expectation was to sit and be entertained by a good football game for 3 hours. I wouldn’t win but I could sue

Comment

Working...
                          X