• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rensoul
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Payton will be calling the plays and be the real OC. We don't even know what position Lombardi is rumored for - QB coach again?
    My guess would be QB's coach which he was for several years in NO. Even if Payton named him an OC, he would likely get the Renaldo Hill treatment and Payton would handle the play-calling.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      Is it common practice to interview staff already on board for their same job?
      did Steichen want to be here?
      just 2 of many important pieces of information I need.
      Fair enough. I have the same questions. I guess I assumed Steichen at the time would've preferred to stay, he just had an amazing season with best rookie QB in league history.

It's customary for a new coach to choose his own staff. But it's not unusual for coordinators to survive a chance at head coach. Ken Whisenhunt was retained as Chargers' OC when Lynn was hired.

I know there have been cases when ownership/management stipulate that certain coaches already on staff must remain when they hire a new HC? Was that the case for Whisenhunt? Did Telesco/Spanoses dictate to Lynn that he retain Whisenhunt, who was hired by McCoy? If so, why would they not do the same re Steichen when they hired Staley?

The benefit to keeping Steichen is not only the success he had with Herbert as a rookie, but to avoid Herbert having to learn a new system between his 1st and 2nd seasons. He had to deal with changing systems yearly at Oregon. Again, I'm assuming Steichen would've wanted to stay with Herbert/Chargers in 2021 had he been given the opportunity.

Now Herbert has to learn this third offensive system in four seasons. I think one thing contributing to Joe Burrow's success in CINN is he's had the same OC (and HC) and offensive season his entire 3-year career. Contrast that with what Herbert's had to contend with.

Again, as you note, we don't have all the information and there lots of questions. But I'm going under the assumption that Steichen would've liked to have been retained as Herbert's OC when Staley was hired, but Staley let him go because he wanted Joe Lombardi, who was Staley's OC when Staley was a QB in college. And if this is the way it went down, it does not reflect well on Staley's judgment as a HC.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post
        Sigh . . . .revisionist history is such a fun game to play with this organization - they've given us so much to work with
        Quoted for truth.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          Fair enough. I have the same questions. I guess I assumed Steichen at the time would've preferred to stay, he just had an amazing season with best rookie QB in league history.

It's customary for a new coach to choose his own staff. But it's not unusual for coordinators to survive a chance at head coach. Ken Whisenhunt was retained as Chargers' OC when Lynn was hired.

I know there have been cases when ownership/management stipulate that certain coaches already on staff must remain when they hire a new HC? Was that the case for Whisenhunt? Did Telesco/Spanoses dictate to Lynn that he retain Whisenhunt, who was hired by McCoy? If so, why would they not do the same re Steichen when they hired Staley?

The benefit to keeping Steichen is not only the success he had with Herbert as a rookie, but to avoid Herbert having to learn a new system between his 1st and 2nd seasons. He had to deal with changing systems yearly at Oregon. Again, I'm assuming Steichen would've wanted to stay with Herbert/Chargers in 2021 had he been given the opportunity.

Now Herbert has to learn this third offensive system in four seasons. I think one thing contributing to Joe Burrow's success in CINN is he's had the same OC (and HC) and offensive season his entire 3-year career. Contrast that with what Herbert's had to contend with.

Again, as you note, we don't have all the information and there lots of questions. But I'm going under the assumption that Steichen would've liked to have been retained as Herbert's OC when Staley was hired, but Staley let him go because he wanted Joe Lombardi, who was Staley's OC when Staley was a QB in college. And if this is the way it went down, it does not reflect well on Staley's judgment as a HC.
          All you need to know about the Chargers FO is that they had both Steichen and Siriani in the building, each for several years, and couldn't recognize the potential.

Once you see that it's easier to understand passing on Reid, Payton, firing Marty, etc. Clown show

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

All you need to know about the Chargers FO is that they had both Steichen and Siriani in the building, each for several years, and couldn't recognize the potential.

Once you see that it's easier to understand passing on Reid, Payton, firing Marty, etc. Clown show
            I've been thinking about this too. Sirianni was QB coach and WR coach during McCoy's regime, and he, like Whisenhunt, was retained when Anthony Lynn was hired (as was Steichen as QB coach).

Sirianni was Lynn's WR coach for one season, then Frank Reich hired him to be the Colts' OC in 2018 when Reich took over as HC in Indy.

Steichen was elevated to OC from QB coach mid-season 2019 when Whisenhunt was fired. I liked him from the beginning of his tenure at OC, initially with Rivers then with Herbert. When they fired Lynn two years ago I was really hoping Steichen would remain as Herbert's OC.

Steichen and Sirianni were on the Chargers' staff for a combined 14 seasons under Lynn and McCoy. I'd take either one of them over Staley as HC of the Chargers.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

I've been thinking about this too. Sirianni was QB coach and WR coach during McCoy's regime, and he, like Whisenhunt, was retained when Anthony Lynn was hired (as was Steichen as QB coach).

Sirianni was Lynn's WR coach for one season, then Frank Reich hired him to be the Colts' OC in 2018 when Reich took over as HC in Indy.

Steichen was elevated to OC from QB coach mid-season 2019 when Whisenhunt was fired. I liked him from the beginning of his tenure at OC, initially with Rivers then with Herbert. When they fired Lynn two years ago I was really hoping Steichen would remain as Herbert's OC.

Steichen and Sirianni were on the Chargers' staff for a combined 14 seasons under Lynn and McCoy. I'd take either one of them over Staley as HC of the Chargers.
              Too funny that the ex chargers are lighting it up and most likely going to win the superbowl. we can just pretend it's the chargers.
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Their fault for not saying, "relationships" enough times.
                okay, I'll stop now.
                Promise.
                P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Since it is draft season, did anyone with sound judgement red flag Joe Mixon like I did ?

There was some ugly domestic violence before that draft.

Now, a vital piece to keep Joe Burrow healthy is looking at felony assault with a deadly weapon, and being cut by CIN.

Edit. Charges dismissed.
                  Last edited by wu-dai clan; 02-03-2023, 04:11 PM.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
                    Since Balboa Stadium
                    • Sep 2022
                    • LA
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I want to know specifics before I crucify BS.
                    Frankly, I don't even know what is fact surrounding the situation, or even what the usual protocol is when a new HC is hired.
                    Is it common practice to interview staff already on board for their same job?
                    did Steichen want to be here?
                    just 2 of many important pieces of information I need.

I want to be fair to BS, even if he's full of BS sometimes.
                    I think we all know the drill. These guys in coaching most often times know each other from other jobs, sometimes they are even from the same high school or something.

Staley played quarterback for Mercyhurst College while Lombardi was the offensive coordinator there back in 2005.

Now Lombardi worked with Drew Brews and Sean Peyton for many years and won a superbowl. He had something like 25 years experience. Who would doubt he was qualified?

So Staley got rid of guys he did now know, and hired the guys he knew if he could.

I still do not think that the Chargers failings are the result of the OC. I still say it goes back to the HC.

I bet if Lombardi becomes OC with Sean Peyton he would do great because Peyton unless something has changed should be a great HC.

If the new guy does any better I think it will only be if we have less injuries in the OL and with the receivers. But yet he will get all the credit and so will Staley if that happens.

Any of these guys with decent experience can be good with a good QB/OL and some receivers.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

I think it’s more than fair to assume that steichen would’ve wanted to stay…wasn’t he an ‘interim’ OC that year (right?)? So being offered the play calling duties full time going forward that would still have been a promotion, correct? He had to have known that coaching herbert was going to put him on the fast track for HC jobs…I think if staley offered him the job he would’ve stayed, it’s silly looking back but Steichen had more NFL AND play calling experience than staley at that time, wow…you can make the argument that for herbert’s sake and in keeping continuity with justin they should’ve promoted stiechen to HC instead of hiring staley…
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Ownership matters and these owners are all up in the FO, so yeah…
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I think it’s more than fair to assume that steichen would’ve wanted to stay…wasn’t he an ‘interim’ OC that year (right?)? So being offered the play calling duties full time going forward that would still have been a promotion, correct? He had to have known that coaching herbert was going to put him on the fast track for HC jobs…I think if staley offered him the job he would’ve stayed, it’s silly looking back but Steichen had more NFL AND play calling experience than staley at that time, wow…you can make the argument that for herbert’s sake and in keeping continuity with justin they should’ve promoted stiechen to HC instead of hiring staley…
                          Steichen was the interim OC in the 2nd half of 2019, but promoted to the full job in 2020. I still think that at the end of the 2020 season in Jan 21, when Lynn was fired and Staley hired, he would've preferred to be retained as Herbert's OC in the new Staley regime.

Comment

Working...
                          X