• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Agree with this. Drue was definitely one of the (few) to have even moderate success. Kyzir White would be another. These guys need to be paired up with the appropriate 'thumper' LB - we just could never manage to get it right.

We are most definitely thin at LB. After Kendricks we've got Murray (sigh) and then a whole bunch of ???. Depending on your view of Murray you could make the argument that we've only got 1 starter level (not star) LB on the team ATM. Position needs significant improvements if we're going to stop the run next year. Speaking of tweeners; since we're currently lacking in LB talent does it make sense to have DJ bulk up (a bit) and step into the coverage LB role? Or does that just make a bigger hole in the secondary? I've not been that impressed with DJ's coverage abilities.

If we cannot stop the run consistently next year we're cooked - no matter what other improvements we make. Teams will grind our defense down, take time off the clock (away from our offense) and kill us with PA.
    I don’t think bulking King James up to LB is the way to go and yes, it’d just shift the hole from LB to S, who the hell do we have - Alohi?

A good rule of thumb is if your LB needs to be “paired with a thumper” - e.g. he needs another LB that can actually stop the rush plays and make tackles without getting dragged 5 yards first, he is not an elite LB that you want to pay extra for. This is why Drue was not given a good second contract, and it’s why he signed a one-year prove-it deal. TPB should complete the mourning process and get over him. He’s no Donnie Edwards (duck!)

I am personally sick of the “LBs are relics” thinking - it’s stupid. A top LB should make 100 tackles a year, thats almost 20% of plays. WHERE he makes those tackles will dictate if your defense thrives or suffers. Is he dropping ball carriers for TFLs or is he gettin ragdolled sideways an extra 3-5 yards as he tries to tackle poorly.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t think bulking King James up to LB is the way to go and yes, it’d just shift the hole from LB to S, who the hell do we have - Alohi?

A good rule of thumb is if your LB needs to be “paired with a thumper” - e.g. he needs another LB that can actually stop the rush plays and make tackles without getting dragged 5 yards first, he is not an elite LB that you want to pay extra for. This is why Drue was not given a good second contract, and it’s why he signed a one-year prove-it deal. TPB should complete the mourning process and get over him. He’s no Donnie Edwards (duck!)

I am personally sick of the “LBs are relics” thinking - it’s stupid. A top LB should make 100 tackles a year, thats almost 20% of plays. WHERE he makes those tackles will dictate if your defense thrives or suffers. Is he dropping ball carriers for TFLs or is he gettin ragdolled sideways an extra 3-5 yards as he tries to tackle poorly.
      Agreed - LB's should not be 'devalued', particularly if you're trying to stop the run. I'm in the Wagner / Kendricks camp, but I doubt Staley is . . . .

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Would anybody rather have Josh over Staley? Not me!
        Is comparing Staley to one of the few HCs who is actually worse than he is supposed to make us feel better?

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Is comparing Staley to one of the few HCs who is actually worse than he is supposed to make us feel better?
          But surprisingly makes me feel better . . . . . . someone has it worse than us!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

But surprisingly makes me feel better . . . . . . someone has it worse than us!
            There’s that sunshine peeking through the clouds!

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

That really wasn't the point of my post, it was an after thought. My main point is how poorly they are spending the significant cap space they had.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

That really wasn't the point of my post, it was an after thought. My main point is how poorly they are spending the significant cap space they had.
                I was just giving you shit. I also think you get it. You're not afraid to criticize the team when you feel it's warranted. You're not a Pollyanna.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

I was just giving you shit. I also think you get it. You're not afraid to criticize the team when you feel it's warranted. You're not a Pollyanna.
                  All good, wasn't offended

Nope.

I feel reasonably optimistic about being a playoff contender next year but the depth concerns me a bit. They have to draft better in the mid rounds with the growing cap issues. AFC is tough and so is schedule so they have to play better this year and a big part will be staying healthier. Looking forward to Kellen Moore replacing Lombardi.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

wow check out the shape that DJ Fluker is in at 32 as he tries to make a comeback

Former Chargers first-round pick D.J. Fluker is looking to make a return to the NFL and is in phenomenal shape.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

All good, wasn't offended

Nope.

I feel reasonably optimistic about being a playoff contender next year but the depth concerns me a bit. They have to draft better in the mid rounds with the growing cap issues. AFC is tough and so is schedule so they have to play better this year and a big part will be staying healthier. Looking forward to Kellen Moore replacing Lombardi.
                      You’re losing him …

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

wow check out the shape that DJ Fluker is in at 32 as he tries to make a comeback

Former Chargers first-round pick D.J. Fluker is looking to make a return to the NFL and is in phenomenal shape.
                        That just confirms that he wasn’t dedicated when he had his shot, he was just getting by, he should’ve been like this since before he got drafted…
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• CivilBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

https://boltbeat.com/posts/chargers-...ker-nfl-return
                          A pass for me. Gym shape is not the same as game shape. Also it depends how much money he wants. I don’t know how many times TO tried to get back in the NFL with a super gym physique. I think a few games in, he ended up tearing something..

Comment

Working...
                          X