• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

The PAC 12 has been declining for some time, that's why they haven't been able to generate the TV deal other conferences have - which accelerated the decline further. When USC and UCLA left it was only a matter of time before it all collapsed.

Between realignment and NIL college football's not recognizable any more . . . . . . . . . . . . . the money's going to create an even larger talent difference between the elite teams and everyone else. At some point there will be a need to return to true division levels in college football, ie; div I (elites), div II (good teams), div III (everyone else). We're going to see essentially the same teams at the top of the playoff seedings every year; Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Ohio State, etc.

Not sure this is better . . . . . . . . . not sure it's worse either.
    Since there's only 4 teams left now in the Pac-12, if they can just at least add 2 more teams, they can rename it the, ahem...

image.png
    ...the 6-PAC...

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
      You are right, it's KC. I think it's more like something :« At least, beat the Raiders !»
      Do you remember how the Chargers perform in presaison that bug year ?
      That was the season that led to me really starting to paying attention to Chargers football because prior to that, I was just a kid who rooted for "cool players" around the league.

I remember not having any money, no girlfriend, nothing, I felt as lowly as that 1-15 season. I got free tickets to that KC game from my school principal for having good grades, but gave them to my stepdad and mom to go because he was a big fan and the Chargers sucked that season.
      He came back so happy from that game and told me all about it. More importantly he told me it didn't matter how bad a team was, their job was to play their best every week, and that's something honorable to be proud of, so I took it to heart and decided not to worry about the outcome and focus on the process and having trust that it will pay off.
      I figured this Chargers team was a perfect representation of me and my status as a young man, so to the top we would climb together.

said to myself,
      "we're the worst team in the league but we're bound to be the best team one day." I've always had more spirit than logic haha

I took pride in starting my fandom from the bottom, reassuring myself every year that the dream would come true one day if we did our best each week. Still proudly holding my end of the bargain and working my ass off. Thus far I have a decent job, my health and a wife and 3 kids that love me. Modest life but I couldn't be happier. Well of course I can! when we finally hold up that trophy!

Sorry for the long personal ramble but it felt great typing it.
      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

That was the season that led to me really starting to paying attention to Chargers football because prior to that, I was just a kid who rooted for "cool players" around the league.

I remember not having any money, no girlfriend, nothing, I felt as lowly as that 1-15 season. I got free tickets to that KC game from my school principal for having good grades, but gave them to my stepdad and mom to go because he was a big fan and the Chargers sucked that season.
        He came back so happy from that game and told me all about it. More importantly he told me it didn't matter how bad a team was, their job was to play their best every week, and that's something honorable to be proud of, so I took it to heart and decided not to worry about the outcome and focus on the process and having trust that it will pay off.
        I figured this Chargers team was a perfect representation of me and my status as a young man, so to the top we would climb together.

said to myself,
        "we're the worst team in the league but we're bound to be the best team one day." I've always had more spirit than logic haha

I took pride in starting my fandom from the bottom, reassuring myself every year that the dream would come true one day if we did our best each week. Still proudly holding my end of the bargain and working my ass off. Thus far I have a decent job, my health and a wife and 3 kids that love me. Modest life but I couldn't be happier. Well of course I can! when we finally hold up that trophy!

Forget the trophy. You have what counts.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Since there's only 4 teams left now in the Pac-12, if they can just at least add 2 more teams, they can rename it the, ahem...

image.png
          ...the 6-PAC...
          Still wont get any TV money . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

said to myself,

Sounds like you were a great kid who became a great man, my friend. Don’t change.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              There are tremendous rivalries in the Big10. Are you being facetious? Or do you mean the new entries don’t have rivalries with the “classic” Big10 teams? And Michigan, OSU, Penn State do not play second rate football.

TG
              Compared to the NFL, Alabama & OSU play 3rd rate football - so, I was being generous.

Yes, new entries will not have anywhere near the atmosphere of old rivalries;
              and the change in conference only serves to lessen the old rivalries.

UCLA vs USC? Who now cares?

College football is now driven entirely by a search for profits,
              with fantastic contracts offered to the coaching staffs that far outstrip that of entire college departments.

The relationship between football programs and universities has always been problematic;
              but now those problems are on hyperdrive.

I have very little respect for guys like Nick Saban, or Lincoln Riley as ethical human beings.
              College football coaches, more and more, seem like those types.

Administrators who pretend to oversee them aren't any different ..... thorough corruption all around.

You can have it!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Compared to the NFL, Alabama & OSU play 3rd rate football - so, I was being generous.

Yes, new entries will not have anywhere near the atmosphere of old rivalries;
                and the change in conference only serves to lessen the old rivalries.

UCLA vs USC? Who now cares?
                I have Bruin and Trojan alumni all thru my family. I haven’t asked but I’ll bet every one of them still will care, and at the same exact level as they ever did - the USC/UCLA game won’t change. Cross-town rivals, battle of LA - why do you think they won’t care suddenly just because the little tiny patch on their uni’s is B10 instead of P12?

I do agree with everyone that the outcome of these changes will be huge but are unknown. It’s further separation of the haves and have-nots, further corporatization of colleges sports. For sports that play multiple times a week, it’s going to be a bigger demand on the studen-athletes of the Top3 conferences. Not sure anyone will even be able to say “Top-5” after this.

I don’t know what it all means and don’t really care other than my Aztecs got screwed yet again.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

I’m a Terp fan. Ten years ago we left the ACC for the Big10. It was shocking and I hated leaving all the old rivalries behind. It’s been worth it though as we gain history with new opponents and now have more money and prestige as one of the power 2.

And I hate seeing what the ACC has done to themselves, they’ve become a bitter little conference who screwed themselves because they were upset MD left. I wonder if they will survive now.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                      I’m a Terp fan. Ten years ago we left the ACC for the Big10. It was shocking and I hated leaving all the old rivalries behind. It’s been worth it though as we gain history with new opponents and now have more money and prestige as one of the power 2.

And I hate seeing what the ACC has done to themselves, they’ve become a bitter little conference who screwed themselves because they were upset MD left. I wonder if they will survive now.
                      My post-grad degree is from UMd College Park, so I’m not a hater here at all. But they have been one of the reliable door mats of the B10, aka Indiana, Rutgers since they joined, or (usually) Minnesota; a tomato can for the bigs to pound into the turf while tuning up for important conference games.

They have shown possible growth the last couple years, losing less. Overall Conf Record is 23-52, but 4-5 last year. This may, though, support my fear that ridiculously large conferences will result in years were average teams have better records based on which teams they draw that year.

UMD lost to UM, Purdue, Wi, OSU and Penn State, usually by a lot (Purdue game was only close game)
                      UMD beat Rutgers, Indiana, NW, and MSU - Michigan state is the only usually decent program in that win group but they were a lousy 3-6 in conference last year.

It is great for UMd to be in B10, agree on that. BTW - Zay Flowers, 1st of 2nd fave here by many (me included) for our WR is reportedly uncoverable in his camp - absolutely killing their defense almost every rep. My tape review of him predicted that - what jumped out to me was not just that he was fast, but he ran very disciplined and precise routes.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

My post-grad degree is from UMd College Park, so I’m not a hater here at all. But they have been one of the reliable door mats of the B10, aka Indiana, Rutgers since they joined, or (usually) Minnesota; a tomato can for the bigs to pound into the turf while tuning up for important conference games.

They have shown possible growth the last couple years, losing less. Overall Conf Record is 23-52, but 4-5 last year. This may, though, support my fear that ridiculously large conferences will result in years were average teams have better records based on which teams they draw that year.

UMD lost to UM, Purdue, Wi, OSU and Penn State, usually by a lot (Purdue game was only close game)
                        UMD beat Rutgers, Indiana, NW, and MSU - Michigan state is the only usually decent program in that win group but they were a lousy 3-6 in conference last year.

It is great for UMd to be in B10, agree on that. BTW - Zay Flowers, 1st of 2nd fave here by many (me included) for our WR is reportedly uncoverable in his camp - absolutely killing their defense almost every rep. My tape review of him predicted that - what jumped out to me was not just that he was fast, but he ran very disciplined and precise routes.
                        The Terps are not receiving a full share of money yet so they should get better. They have also won two bowl games in a row. I view them in the middle of the pack for now. But I have no hope they’ll ever be better than Penn State.

I also think they’ll be the next B1G team to win the natty in basketball. That team is going to be exciting this year leading to an increase in top players who want to go there.

And is it better to be an SDSU who can dominate a smaller league or would probably be bottom half in the old PAC12. Where do you want to compete? For me, I’d rather see SDSU dominate the MWC.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Does the Pac-10 (Pac-12) still own the rights to the Rose Bowl game?
                          If so, it seems they still have leverage. Why not incorporate some of those Mountain West teams into the Pac-10 (Pac-12)...?

Oregon State, Washington State, Cal, Stanford, Boise State, Air Force, Colorado State, Fresno State, San Diego State, Wyoming, New Mexico, and UNLV. Most of those schools have been competitive in various sports over the years. I'm sure the Mountain West teams would appreciate the TV revenues generated by Pac-12.

Comment

Working...
                          X