• Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lol, tell a young rich guy he can't party or go to the club :LOL:
    You must have self-control, grasshopper...

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FarAwayBoltFan View Post

I suspect he means that if there is no college football season then players won't have the same opportunity to improve their draft stock. Consequently, players that could have shined in 2020 and gone top 10 in the 2021 draft, like the Joe Burrows type player that was a mid round prospects pre-season 2019 but went #1 in 2020, may be available with less prestigious picks. If the Chargers record does not net them a prestigious pick, the lack of a seasons worth of evaluation increases the possibility of finding a diamond in the rough with lesser picks.
      They'll have to have a SUPER combine...or several regional combines to handle the increased load of players trying to get noticed by NFL teams...

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

I suspect he means that if there is no college football season then players won't have the same opportunity to improve their draft stock. Consequently, players that could have shined in 2020 and gone top 10 in the 2021 draft, like the Joe Burrows type player that was a mid round prospects pre-season 2019 but went #1 in 2020, may be available with less prestigious picks. If the Chargers record does not net them a prestigious pick, the lack of a seasons worth of evaluation increases the possibility of finding a diamond in the rough with lesser picks.
        Understood,....it works the other way as well. Some will be over rated and drafted higher than deserved. So I don't view it as a good thing.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

There won't be a NFL season either. The NFL is just delaying the announcement to get any money they can get off merchandise, advertising, Hard Knocks, etc... and such only to shut it down.
          That's what I think anyways. I am surprised the NBA is playing though.
          NBA went through the logistics of making a bubble. They’ll keep playing until they finish the season or the bubble pops.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Im wondering if conferences will base their decision to shut down sports based on politics. Red state conferences like the ACC, SEC and Big 12 will play while blue state conferences like the PAC 12 and Big 10 will shut down.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
              Pretty much retired......
              • Sep 2018
              • JoJa
              • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              Im wondering if conferences will base their decision to shut down sports based on politics. Red state conferences like the ACC, SEC and Big 12 will play while blue state conferences like the PAC 12 and Big 10 will shut down.
              Here is something to consider. Say the SEC and ACC play this season. They will have a recruiting BOOM because kids that want to play will think twice about a team/conference that sat it out. You can't get that Nike deal sitting on a campus NOT playing football and you can't improve draft stock either. The schools that play will be in the drivers seat for HS seniors........

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
                San Diego Native
                • Feb 2019
                • Farmington, NM
                • Send PM

Understood,....it works the other way as well. Some will be over rated and drafted higher than deserved. So I don't view it as a good thing.
                Agreed but I believe that was the original poster's point. Without a college season, teams will have incomplete player evaluation which creates a less accurate draft which devalues the top prestige picks creating more opportunity throughout the draft.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                  Not that this isn’t a good question. I just feel like this is a bag of worms that we shouldn’t open.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Not that this isn’t a good question. I just feel like this is a bag of worms that we shouldn’t open.
                    Shelve the post. Time will tell.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

Here is something to consider. Say the SEC and ACC play this season. They will have a recruiting BOOM because kids that want to play will think twice about a team/conference that sat it out. You can't get that Nike deal sitting on a campus NOT playing football and you can't improve draft stock either. The schools that play will be in the drivers seat for HS seniors........
                      Not that the SEC and ACC weren’t getting the top recruits anyways. But I see your point. It may make the gap grow even more. On the other hand, if those conferences start and there’s a serious problem ie. an outbreak, then the opposite could happen as well.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Agreed but I believe that was the original poster's point. Without a college season, teams will have incomplete player evaluation which creates a less accurate draft which devalues the top prestige picks creating more opportunity throughout the draft.
                        We at least have film on the juniors that didn’t declare last draft.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

...AND which also really increases the probability of getting several REAL STEALS in mid to lower rounds!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X