• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

It isn't hard for me to believe that the Chargers' offense will step up in 2021, because the O-line improvements will significantly help BOTH the run and pass phases, and thus help ensure that the offensive game plan doesn't HAVE to depend on one, or the other. Mixing it up effectively has always made life harder for defenses, and it always will.

It isn't hard for me to believe that the Bolts' special teams will be significantly improved in 2021, because (1) hard to imagine they could be WORSE!, and (2) the club has hired a special teams coordinator competent to actually FIX things. I have a lot of respect for Anthony Lynn, but I have to point to his hiring of George Stewart as special teams coordinator to be a major gaffe. Then, he compounded the problem by sticking with him after the team had arrived in hell aboard Stewart's handbasket. Stewart hadn't been a special teams coach for something like 18 years when Lynn hired him. If I remember correctly, Stewart's assignment immediately preceding his hire by the Chargers was as a Receivers Coach.

There is, now, clearly the mentality that, "if bulldozing special teams to the ground and rebuilding from scratch is what it takes to get the job done, then that's what we'll do!" Three placekickers in camp?!? Child, please!

It's more difficult for me to believe that the defense is prepared to deliver a playoff caliber performance. The D-line remains a significant *?* IMO, it's more likely that Jerry Tillery will continue to disappoint, than it is that he'll somehow find the switch, and flip it. I'm less concerned with the Back 8 than I am with the Front 3, because if they can't find ways to pressure the opposing QB frequently, we'll be in for a lot of shoot-outs.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
      It isn't hard for me to believe that the Chargers' offense will step up in 2021, because the O-line improvements will significantly help BOTH the run and pass phases, and thus help ensure that the offensive game plan doesn't HAVE to depend on one, or the other. Mixing it up effectively has always made life harder for defenses, and it always will.

It isn't hard for me to believe that the Bolts' special teams will be significantly improved in 2021, because (1) hard to imagine they could be WORSE!, and (2) the club has hired a special teams coordinator competent to actually FIX things. I have a lot of respect for Anthony Lynn, but I have to point to his hiring of George Stewart as special teams coordinator to be a major gaffe. Then, he compounded the problem by sticking with him after the team had arrived in hell aboard Stewart's handbasket. Stewart hadn't been a special teams coach for something like 18 years when Lynn hired him. If I remember correctly, Stewart's assignment immediately preceding his hire by the Chargers was as a Receivers Coach.

There is, now, clearly the mentality that, "if bulldozing special teams to the ground and rebuilding from scratch is what it takes to get the job done, then that's what we'll do!" Three placekickers in camp?!? Child, please!

It's more difficult for me to believe that the defense is prepared to deliver a playoff caliber performance. The D-line remains a significant *?* IMO, it's more likely that Jerry Tillery will continue to disappoint, than it is that he'll somehow find the switch, and flip it. I'm less concerned with the Back 8 than I am with the Front 3, because if they can't find ways to pressure the opposing QB frequently, we'll be in for a lot of shoot-outs.
      ^ This. I'm with u, Quack...I think the Bolts need to sign a solid FA D-lineman to add to the rotation--preferably two--a DT and Edge...if Tillery somehow emerges from his mediocre funk and actually improves, fine. But we can't count on it, so we need solid players. Bench or cut anyone who can't cut the mustard, regardless of what round they were drafted in. I also think we could use a solid FA DB...doesn't have to be flashy, just solid...

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Think the defense will be all about health...James and Tranquil turn out to NOT be injury prone, a lot of pressure comes off that line...and Staley knows how to use a dline. The whole league knows we have talent...but we not only have had injury bugs hit us hard, but at key positions...every team has injuries, but to our best players? Fingers crossed thru training camp....
        The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Tillery is my breakout candidate
          Legit first round talent imho
          our lack of investment in draft capitol on DL gives me hope that Staley likes what he has, partly in Tillery
          G-Ro knows.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

D-Line is a big question mark but didn’t we already know that but other needs took precedent? The 2021 Draft was considered one of the weaker position groups in the 2021 draft had just 19 defensive tackles heard their name called in Cleveland. Furthermore, there were no interior defensive linemen selected in the first round. So it made no sense to reach for one there. Still plenty of time before training camp, June 1st dead cap relief may push some strapped salary team to trade a starting caliber defensive lineman? Or just wait to see how season plays out and prepare for next years free agent/draft class. Still have plenty of cap room.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
              D-Line is a big question mark but didn’t we already know that but other needs took precedent? The 2021 Draft was considered one of the weaker position groups in the 2021 draft had just 19 defensive tackles heard their name called in Cleveland. Furthermore, there were no interior defensive linemen selected in the first round. So it made no sense to reach for one there. Still plenty of time before training camp, June 1st dead cap relief may push some strapped salary team to trade a starting caliber defensive lineman? Or just wait to see how season plays out and prepare for next years free agent/draft class. Still have plenty of cap room.
              Yep...look for D-line in FA, UDFA, and later, cuts by other teams and PS poaching...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

We signed Covington.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                  We signed Covington.
                  Covington is okay, but I'd like to see more production from an Edge than the 1 sack he generated in two full seasons...realize he's a backup, but even a someone like Isaac Rochell had 3.5 sacks the past two years in a backup role...hopefully Sackwell proves effective either as starter or #1 Edge backup, but I'd still like to see the Bolts work out a deal with someone like Houston, and give Bosa a TRUE Bookend Buddy to help bring the heat...

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

I read today at PFT that some assistant coaches around the league are refusing to get vaccinated, which will cause them to lose their Tier 1 status and they won’t be able to coach on the field or in meeting rooms and can’t interact face-to-face with players. It is going to put the teams they work for in a difficult position. I wonder it's going to be a problem for the Chargers.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Chiefs have had great fortune in the injury department the last 3 years, leading up to last year's Super Bowl.
                      Lose an important piece and they looked like crap against Tampa Bay.

Playing 8 extra playoff games the last 3 years, their luck is about to run out.
                      We need to be the ones to bring an end to their AFC West run. It would avenge our 2010 season when KC overtook us with a fluke team.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Covington is okay, but I'd like to see more production from an Edge than the 1 sack he generated in two full seasons...realize he's a backup, but even a someone like Isaac Rochell had 3.5 sacks the past two years in a backup role...hopefully Sackwell proves effective either as starter or #1 Edge backup,
                      Don't worry. Because Covington isn't an edge player. He's an interior player.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

Covington is a penetrating interior DT in a 4-3 or DE in 3-4 he was a good signing and much needed rotational depth.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Study our DL depth chart.
                          Learn StaleyD concepts.
                          Master metrics.
                          Then you can make better posts.
                          You'll have better production.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment