• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Agree! The defensive tackles didn't get run over in Bradley's system...they are the same players. Perryman wasn't a Brandon Staley type player, who valued the coverage skills of White/Tranquil over Perryman's run stuffing (& too often lack of availability).

Frankly, i thought White struggled against run's between the tackles - too often he'd choose the wrong gap because he's not a natural inside linebacker.
    His failure on the final Raiders run play was his season in a nutshell.

Too often, early on, i just thought there were more offensive blockers than defenders to hold up in a particular location.
    Donald's insane ability to get off single and double team blocks helped Staley's defense immensely.
    When Staley said after the game that Murray was the best cover LB he had he lost me completely. That is a fatal flaw type statement to make. Indicates he doesn’t know how to use a guy and can’t evaluate talent

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

So Gus Bradley got the head coaching job because .. why - in Jacksonville and why didn't he ever re-create that type of defense in Jacksonville?

If you want to say that STaley should have developed a scheme that better suits the players, thats fine. But the Chargers under Bradley ran a different scheme than under STaley

And I am pretty sure, the Chargers were 7-9 with Bradleys defense and couldn't get off the gawd damn field either.
      Bradley lacked James and for many games Bosa last year....not a fair comparison.

Bradley's time had come and gone here. He didn't develop and integrate into his D the players he helped bring in....white, adderley, murray, tillery...

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post

Staley had TWO jobs this year. Hard to be 1st year coach AND be D coordinator. Bradley had ONE. Bring in Fangio. Watch this thing grow.
        Agree! Lynn wanted to be offensive coordinator and head coach: he won the battle over Whiz, and then proceeded to fail at both jobs.
        Let Staley focus on integrating the 3 units and be a sounding board for the coordinators.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I won't fault you at all for criticizing the decision to have him in there. But I still 100 percent guarantee you that nobody from the Spanos family, or even Tom Telesco, is dictating to Staley which players he has to play on game day.
          They don't dictate by issuing absolute decrees, they wear you down by asking every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday....why Kenneth Murray isn't out there.
          I don't necessarily believe that the trade-up for K. Murray was a John Spanos special; but if so, it could explain some things.

Injuries to tranquil and White needing a breather is another possibility, with Staley getting spooked by that 3rd and 23 draw play....even though Murray was out there and took himself out of that play.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Not sure why everyone is assuming that Staley didn’t have his type of players on defense. What is his type? Aaron Donald and Nalen Ramsey? Yeah we didn’t have that. Biggest disappointment of the season was the play of the defense. They were better under Gus D and everyone was anxious to show him the door. But his guys bottled us up for nearly an entire game and his guys were mostly ex Chargers. Staley just isn’t the defensive wunderkind we thought
            Clearly our D has to improve a lot, but Gus is still Gus. And his D gave up 32 points, 440 yards of offense and only won because we fumbled a punt, missed a fg, and because our D got some really bad penalties called against us.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Clearly our D has to improve a lot, but Gus is still Gus. And his D gave up 32 points, 440 yards of offense and only won because we fumbled a punt, missed a fg, and because our D got some really bad penalties called against us.
              and he did it with Maxx Crosby and Charger cast-offs. They're 10-7 and in the playoffs. We're 9-8 and out. They won their last 3 games, we lost 3 out last 4.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

and he did it with Maxx Crosby and Charger cast-offs. They're 10-7 and in the playoffs. We're 9-8 and out. They won their last 3 games, we lost 3 out last 4.
                Not disputing that - just commenting that people wanted Gus out for a reason. The 10 point swing in ST (fumbled punt that led to a TD and missed fg) and the 7 to 10 points by bad penalties (according to Tony Dungy) easily swings the game our way despite Gus and his vaunted D.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Not the way I wanted to end Staley's Year One, but the Chargers ended the season playing meaningful football games, unlike with the McCoy and Lynn. I look forward to Coach Staley rebuilding the defensive front seven to his liking.

I'm disappointed the Chargers will have the worst GM in the AFC WEST returning for a 10th year consecutive, but I can handle another two years of Spanos maturing his L.A. investment before he sells out, before the Chargers put a real football man back in the front office.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Comes down to who is supplying the talent to the D.C., IMHO.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Comes down to who is supplying the talent to the D.C., IMHO.
                      And I kind of give Telesco a pass last offseason because the OL was so poor. But he was also GM the previous 8 seasons and is responsible the OL is so poor

He really should have been fired. But he has one more year - a boat load of cap space - see what he does

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Brian Flores and Joe Judge. Two more on the Bill Belichick head coaching tree that bore no fruit.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Brian Flores and Joe Judge. Two more on the Bill Belichick head coaching tree that bore no fruit.
                          Flores did a good job I think .

Judge - never understood that one at all. He was in over his head. Terrible hire

Vrabel is left from the Hoodie coaching tree. Haven't even seen Josh McD's name out there.

Flores might get another job. HIs problem was he and the GM didn't get a long.

Comment

Working...
                          X