• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northerner
    Charger fan since '79
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

You can look at it this way, but he's only 31. If he can maintain his performance similar to last year he could get another contract (say a 2 year) after the 2024 season. Which team and situation is more conducive to enabling him to continue to put up numbers? Staying in LA with Harbaugh and being JH's favorite target? Or going to Chitown and breaking in a rookie QB?

Keenan may not have left any money in the Charger locker room this year, but it's likely that he's cost himself in future contract money - probably far more that whatever pay cut he was asked to do in LA. Seems like he reacted emotionally and ended up cutting off his nose to spite his face . . . . . . . . . I guess we'll see.
    good points. Keenan ended up coming across a lot less "team" and "charger for life" than he was acting like at the end of the season. who knows. i think there is way more to this than we know (as usual). he said he would wait out the season and sign late for the playoffs - that would have meant a lot less money. that ended up being bullshit. chicago ain't no contender. their division is death with green bay and detroit.

his quote: Chargers WR Keenan Allen: “I don’t want to go nowhere else.” Allen said if a trade were to happen, he would only play for a select few teams. “If It did come down to that, Adios Amigos. … I’ll get picked up in the offseason or right before the playoffs like them old heads.”

also, i think if Herbert had said - I fucking need this guy - they could have found a way through a contract extension to spread out his 2024 cap hit. the whole world assumed he was the one guy that was staying, and he got booted over to chicago.

as you mention, Keenan could possibly play for another 2 years after 2024. I was figuring that they would work out a "team friendly" extension and push some of his 2024 money to the future years. a win win arrangement.

go figure. if we draft any of the top 6 wide receivers, I will be stoked.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Yep - and he's now in a situation in Chicago to repeat that 5 - 12 record, AND to break in a rookie QB, AND to freeze his ass off while doing it. Cold weather is hard on the older players - I doubt he makes it through the season . . . . . . Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
      we will have to see. Chicago had a better record than we did last year. Without a QB. If the NFL people are right about Caleb (i have my doubts) the Bears have a pretty solid roster in a suddenly tough division. Not much breaking in with a guy that played pro style already. He'll hit the ground running like Herbert did his rookie year when he had some bona fide weapons. Might be refreshing to play for a team with some real NFL tradition and dedicated fans. Soldier field isn't gonna be overrun with visiting team fans.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

good points. Keenan ended up coming across a lot less "team" and "charger for life" than he was acting like at the end of the season. who knows. i think there is way more to this than we know (as usual). he said he would wait out the season and sign late for the playoffs - that would have meant a lot less money. that ended up being bullshit. chicago ain't no contender. their division is death with green bay and detroit.

his quote: Chargers WR Keenan Allen: “I don’t want to go nowhere else.” Allen said if a trade were to happen, he would only play for a select few teams. “If It did come down to that, Adios Amigos. … I’ll get picked up in the offseason or right before the playoffs like them old heads.”

also, i think if Herbert had said - I fucking need this guy - they could have found a way through a contract extension to spread out his 2024 cap hit. the whole world assumed he was the one guy that was staying, and he got booted over to chicago.

as you mention, Keenan could possibly play for another 2 years after 2024. I was figuring that they would work out a "team friendly" extension and push some of his 2024 money to the future years. a win win arrangement.

go figure. if we draft any of the top 6 wide receivers, I will be stoked.
        I don't think Herbert has the personality to do that.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I don't think he's happy about this but I do think if they make some repairs and improve the over all offense he will get the bigger picture quickly!
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I don't think he's happy about this but I do think if they make some repairs and improve the over all offense he will get the bigger picture quickly!
            who knows man. He's probably golfing and fishing and smoking brisket for all we know. he may not care, he may care deeply, he may be glad KA's gone, may be upset KA's gone. We'll never know. His press conferences are like AI responses

Comment

• northerner
              Charger fan since '79
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Chase Daniel seemed to imply in a recent podcast that herbert had a hand in bringing back Shane Day (QB coach)..

from wikipedia:

Los Angeles Chargers (second stint)

On February 8, 2024, Day was hired to return to the Los Angeles Chargers as quarterbacks coach under new head coach Jim Harbaugh.[11]

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I don't know...Caleb Williams to KA plus maybe another good receiver somewhere else in this draft is really appealing for a turn around to at least a 9-8 season.

It all depends on whether Williams is the real deal . . . . . . . . . . . plenty of 'can't miss' QB's have failed. Herbert was a 'bird in the hand' so to speak. Williams is a TBD . . . . . . . . . . IMO - if money was Keenan's primary motivation he should have stayed in LA.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

we will have to see. Chicago had a better record than we did last year. Without a QB. If the NFL people are right about Caleb (i have my doubts) the Bears have a pretty solid roster in a suddenly tough division. Not much breaking in with a guy that played pro style already. He'll hit the ground running like Herbert did his rookie year when he had some bona fide weapons. Might be refreshing to play for a team with some real NFL tradition and dedicated fans. Soldier field isn't gonna be overrun with visiting team fans.
                  Always a learning curve for QB's - no matter how talented. Like you I have my doubts about Williams . . . . . . . . . . . . . I think he's going to find that NFL defenders are much harder to run around than Pac 12 players.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Always a learning curve for QB's - no matter how talented. Like you I have my doubts about Williams . . . . . . . . . . . . . I think he's going to find that NFL defenders are much harder to run around than Pac 12 players.
                    My thing about Caleb is that he has a sense of entitlement that's off putting. He's already a pro, been making lots of NIL money. It was leaked that his "team" was asking for equity in whichever team drafted him which was bat shit crazy. And he's been coddled. A lot of these guys that are at the top QB wise had chips on their shoulders. Brady, 6th round, Mahomes, not the top guy, Aaron Rodgers dropped to back end of first and sat, burrow could t get the job at Ohio State, Josh Allen only recruited by Wyoming , Herbert only really recruited by Oregon, Hurts, had to leave Alabama after being demoted. Remains to be seen whether Caleb is ready to put in the work at the next level

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Such a punk.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

CB Michael Davis has signed with the Commanders

Comment

• CivilBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

CB Michael Davis has signed with the Commanders
                          CB room was thin now almost empty. I see CB one of our top 3 pick. Can’t wait

Comment

Working...
                          X