Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
    We could still sign vickerson after week one. Palepoi to ps
    Good point. We still could do it prior to week 1.

Comment

• Big Dog
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      Maybe they were trying to increase the odds of keeping him by having other teams fill up their PS first.
      Good point, if you are right ... other teams that needed a RB were forced to make a move on Saturday or Sunday and now they may have "already moved on" so to speak and are less likely to pick-up Grice who can now be signed to the practice squad.

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Ricardo Mathews, NT, added to roster.

Can play all 3 DL positions.

Has starting experience (limited)

Former Colt! Surprise!

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Texans fans and journalists seem to think Mathews deserved a spot on the roster, outperformed louis nix but was cut because of nix' draft status

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I think Ricardo Mathews deserves his own thread. Thanks AG for the heads up on the sentiment by the Texans fans; it looks like Mathews even outplayed the starting NT Powe there. Nix has durability issues.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

The page you're looking for may have been changed, moved or mysteriously gone missing

Mathews, 27, a four-year veteran was signed by the Texans in April and had made impressive strides to make the team. He sacked Peyton Manning for Pete’s sake! But with Jerrell Powe being the presumptive starter and with Louis Nix III back in the fold from injury, the Texans were not going to cut this year’s third-round draft pick leaving Mathews the odd man out. Mathews had previously appeared for four seasons with the Indianapolis Colts but was used very little. He had six tackles and one sack in the preseason. I do think Mathews is extremely useful and I’m sure he will latch on to a team that utilizes the waiver wire to address their needs.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

CAREER:
                Former seventh-round pick who has played in 52 regular season games with six starts and in four playoff games for the Indianapolis Colts from 2010-14
                Has totaled 51 tackles and 1.5 sacks in his career

2013 (Indianapolis 16/1, 2/0):
                Played in every game for the second consecutive season and recorded 18 tackles, a half-sack, one pass defensed, one tackle for loss and a career-high three quarterback hits
                Recorded five tackles in the postseason, including three tackles in the AFC Divisional against New England (1/11/14)
                Started the season finale against Jacksonville (12/29) and recorded two tackles
                Registered a half-sack against Kansas City (12/22), teaming with Fili Moala to take down Alex Smith for an 8-yard loss in the third quarter

2012 (Indianapolis 16/5, 1/0):
                Played in all 16 games (five starts) and notched 13 tackles and one pass defensed
                Made his first career NFL start against Cleveland (10/21)
                Made his second start of the season at defensive tackle against Detroit (12/2) and finished with a season-high three tackles
                Made a start at defensive tackle against Houston (12/30) and notched a tackle and one pass defensed
                Had one pass defensed in the team’s AFC Wild Card Playoff loss at Baltimore (1/6)

2011 (Indianapolis 12/0):
                Competed in 12 contests and finished with career-highs of 19 tackles (11 solo), 1.0 sack and two passes defensed
                Totaled two tackles and two passes defensed in his 2011 season debut vs. Kansas City (10/9)
                Posted two tackles (one solo) and one tackle for loss at New Orleans (10/23)
                Recorded his first career sack at Tennessee (10/30), taking down Matt Hasselbeck for a 9-yard loss in the fourth quarter, and contributed with three solo tackles
                Led all Colts defensive linemen with a career-high five tackles (four solo) at Jacksonville (1/1)
                2010 (Indianapolis 8/0, 1/0):
                Saw action in eight games as a reserve defensive tackle and finished the year with one stop
                Was inactive for the first four weeks of the season
                Played in the AFC Wild Card playoff game against the New York Jets (1/8/11) and finished the game with one tackle

COLLEGE:
                Appeared in 49 career games at Cincinnati and totaled 69 tackles, 15.0 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks and one fumble recovery
                Started 13 games as a senior and totaled career bests with 44 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks
                Was on the Bearcat Academic Honor Roll
                Majored in criminal justice

HIGH SCHOOL:
                Attended Terry Parker High School in Jacksonville, Fla.
                Was a three-time first-team all-conference choice.
                Reached the track state championships and was a wrestling conference champion

Comment

• Big Dog
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by dancingbear
                  Not much of a resume for someone playing opposite JJ. Surely that position can be upgraded.
                  My opinion is that Rico Matthews could've filled that position nicely.
                  3 Hours Ago
                  dancingbear
                  Hall of Famer

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by TexansFanNTN
                  My opinion is that Rico Matthews could've filled that position nicely.
                  Bingo. I mentioned that in another thread. Those bowling ball linemen are hard to block. Personally I am amazed that we didn't look at the waiver wire harder than we did. SF showed us the quality of our depth.

Comment

• Big Dog
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Houston fans seem to favor him over Nix ...

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

I know somebody here who favors Nix over Mathews.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

I like it. Experienced but not beat up. Big. Multi-positional. Earned a job in TC, but lost it to a non-cuttable draftee. Potentially gives us a good rotation.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Bill O'Brien needs more from Louis Nix
                          August, 29, 2014
                          AUG 29
                          4:21
                          PM ET
                          By Tania Ganguli | ESPN.com
                          08COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
                          HOUSTON -- You don't always get the frankness we got on Friday from Texans coach Bill O'Brien, in this instance regarding nose tackle Louis Nix.

Nix missed time during this offseason after having a knee scope, and the catchup process for the third-round pick doesn't have Nix where O'Brien wants him.

"It’s been OK," O'Brien said. "He has to get a lot better. He’s a third-round draft pick and he needs to make sure he’s working extremely hard every day to play pro football. We’re in the process of figuring out who the 53-man roster is. A lot of those things we take into account.

"You have a guy there that’s a young guy who really doesn’t totally get it yet, what it means to play in this league. He has to come out and earn it. He’s better than he was when he came out on the field a couple weeks ago against Atlanta, but he’s got a long way to go."

Strong words.

When the Texans drafted Nix, trading back into the third round to get him. I thought he'd at least compete to be a starter, but quickly it was clear Jerrell Powe had that spot locked down. The fact O'Brien even brought up the roster cuts in a response about Nix is very interesting.
                          Thanks TT for missing on this guy.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X