• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonio's Gates
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Vickerson is a knucklehead? Everything I've read said he's a great locker room guy. I'm still not ruling out SD signing him after week 1

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Opera singer and web developer.
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
      Yuba, "needs a bigger boat"...
      Did the smaller boat develop a leak?
      Adipose

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

While I am all about improving my favorite team, I sure would have to grit my teeth if Vickerson was signed. Dirty player and a hot head. He has been in numerous scrapes with the Chargers OL over the years, including McNeill and Hardwick. More animosity there than any other DL I have seen. And he does it enough that he gets caught and incurs costly penalties for it. I am sure the officials know to watch him.

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Yubaking
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
          Houston fans seem to favor him over Nix ...
          Where are you getting this from? Nothing cited in tis thread suggests that.

Comment

• Yubaking
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
            Thanks TT for missing on this guy.
            There is no way to know at this time whether or not Nix is a miss. NTs take a long time to develop. Poe was thought to be a bust after his full season and then he turned out to be arguably the best NT in the NFL the following season. Nix has only made it through the preseason after coming off an injury.

At an easier position, WR, our third round draft pick last year did not look very good either in the preseason after coming off an injury and our coaches chewed his behind out as well. I would say he turned out to be pretty good for us when he got his chance to play. Now, I think it takes much longer for a NT to develop, so I would not be expecting Nix to start this year and maybe not even next year. By year 3-4, we should be able to tell what Nix either has or does not have.

If the Texans thought he was a bust, they could have cut Nix. Instead, they cut the player that we got and are talking up like he somehow is something.

Comment

• Yubaking
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              Should make yuba happy, a NT who outplayed Nix.
              Mathews is not really a NT and he did not outplay Nix. Nix made the Texans. Mathews did not.

Comment

• Yubaking
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
                Vickerson is a knucklehead? Everything I've read said he's a great locker room guy. I'm still not ruling out SD signing him after week 1
                I don't think Vickerson is a great NT by any means, but at least he can be a legitimate NT for us. It probably would make more sense for us to get him than it does for us to get Mathews.

Of course, any positive thoughts I might have about Vickerson are tempered by his getting cut by the Broncos in favor of Marvin Austin.

Comment

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                  Mathews is not really a NT and he did not outplay Nix. Nix made the Texans. Mathews did not.
                  This is from the official site of the Houston Texans:

The Houston Texans signed unrestricted free agent NT Ricardo Mathews, it was announced today. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

And since you appreciate stats, you can see from this that Mathews did, in fact, outplay Nix.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                    Go Aztecs and Pads
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Aubrayo Franklin outplayed Cam Thomas for a whole season of real games, but Thomas got his job anyway. Moves don't always make sense.

I know we were supposedly "re-building" last year. Maybe the Texans are doing the same thing.

Comment

• Yubaking
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                      This is from the official site of the Houston Texans:

The Houston Texans signed unrestricted free agent NT Ricardo Mathews, it was announced today. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

And since you appreciate stats, you can see from this that Mathews did, in fact, outplay Nix.

You are citing preseason stats to support your position? Yes, I like stats, but unless I can see when/against whom each player played, I am not going to draw conclusions about interior line play based upon preseason stats.

Even if Mathews did outplay Nix, at a minimum the team liked Nix's potential over that of Mathews. Otherwise, they would not have kept Nix/would have kept Mathews.

But I am not really even sure that the competition was between Nix and Mathews. One of the cited posts from a Texans fan makes it sound like Mathews is a 3-4 DE that was going to play opposite Watt. If so, he was not competing against Nix even if he can rotate in at NT in a pinch. By size, the guy is not a true NT, but rather a 3-4 DE just like Lissemore.

But according to the Texans, who were the ultimate judge of any competition that may have existed, Mathews did not outplay Nix. Nix is a Texan. Mathews is not. Ultimately, that is how the competition is defined in the majority of instances. (Of course, injuries and salary cap considerations can be a factor, but there is no evidence that they were in this case.)

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Opera singer and web developer.
                        • Send PM

Are you saying Tourek Williams outplayed Cordarro Law? Or that Lawrence Guy outplayed Chas Alexcih? You logic doesn't hold water.

A team is not going to cut a 3rd-round pick they traded to get. Period. Regardless of whether another player the team has not invested heavily in outplayed him.

It sure sounds, from what the coach was saying, that Nix has underwhelmed, and that it isn't the typical expected growing pains but perhaps attitude and effort -- but maybe I've misread his comments.
                        Adipose

Comment

• thelightningwill
                          Go Aztecs and Pads
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

You are citing preseason stats to support your position? Yes, I like stats, but unless I can see when/against whom each player played, I am not going to draw conclusions about interior line play based upon preseason stats.

Even if Mathews did outplay Nix, at a minimum the team liked Nix's potential over that of Mathews. Otherwise, they would not have kept Nix/would have kept Mathews.

But I am not really even sure that the competition was between Nix and Mathews. One of the cited posts from a Texans fan makes it sound like Mathews is a 3-4 DE that was going to play opposite Watt. If so, he was not competing against Nix even if he can rotate in at NT in a pinch. By size, the guy is not a true NT, but rather a 3-4 DE just like Lissemore.
                          But according to the Texans, who were the ultimate judge of any competition that may have existed, Mathews did not outplay Nix. Nix is a Texan. Mathews is not. Ultimately, that is how the competition is defined in the majority of instances. (Of course, injuries and salary cap considerations can be a factor, but there is no evidence that they were in this case.)
                          If our new D lineman is just like Lissemore, I can deal with that.

Comment

Working...
                          X