• Show
Clear All

Seau family opts out of concussion settlement

Seau family opts out of concussion settlement
  • Faded blues
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2013
    • Send PM

A little disappointed with this scenario. 4 million might be fair compensation. Cte is not the sole reason for the suicide.

RIP seau

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Opera singer and web developer.
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
      A little disappointed with this scenario. 4 million might be fair compensation. Cte is not the sole reason for the suicide.

RIP seau
      Did you read the article. Clearly they don't need or want the money. They want information and accountability. By paying out a settlement, it sure can seem as if the NFL has information it would rather not disclose. It's not that the Seau family thinks CTE is the sole reason for the suicide but rather that they want accountability to minimize the chances of something like this happening again.
      Adipose

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Good for the Seau family.

Comment

• Faded blues
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2013
          • Send PM

It's about the money.

The Seau family doesn't have the money to take this case to trial.

The NFL clearly will not allow for certain information to
          Be discovered.

It's like steroids: their a short term gain, everyone know since the 80 s their bad, but people used them.

Concussions are a fact of life.

Most people don't realize that more concussions happen in girls varsity high school per year then all of youth and highschool combined.

The main point going forward is that everyone takes concussions seriously no matter the situAtion even if not football related.

Besides, I really doubt that their is a magic bullet that the nfl is hiding.

Even today
          The best evidence suggests a correlation between concussions and Cte, not a fact.

It just makes too much sense that head injuries cause Cte.

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

They don't want Junior to have died in vain. Can't fault them for that.

Comment

• Centella
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Most people don't realize that more concussions happen in girls varsity high school per year then all of youth and highschool combined.
              Really? Link!?

Comment

• Faded blues
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Centella View Post
                Really? Link!?
                Sorry for not proof reading well.

It was per Rocky Long comparing girls varsity soccer to football and concussions. I consider rocky long to be an admirable man and not to be a snake salesmen so I took his word as gold.

Think about all the times soccer players go up for headers and knock heads. It's a much bigger issue than people want to admit.

The key is now is how serious people take concussions in all sports and walks of life. This is very good.

I'm trying not to be contrarian but seaus death was a big wake up call.

My son plays youth football and I can tell all the coaches are taking this serious. They are starting on the ground floor, and teaching kids how to hit and tackle by avoiding using the helmet. A lot of ex-players are involved and want to see kids a play a much safer game than they did.

I'm a parent and if I thought football would put my son at more risk compared to other sports, I would not have allowed him to play.

All sports have inherent risks.
                Last edited by Faded blues; 09-03-2014, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Opera singer and web developer.
                  • Send PM

Sorry for not proof reading well.

It was per Rocky Long comparing girls varsity soccer to football and concussions. I consider rocky long to be an admirable man and not to be a snake salesmen so I took his word as gold.

Think about all the times soccer players go up for headers and knock heads. It's a much bigger issue than people want to admit.

The key is now is how serious people take concussions in all sports and walks of life. This is very good.

I'm trying not to be contrarian but seaus death was a big wake up call.

My son plays youth football and I can tell all the coaches are taking this serious. They are starting on the ground floor, and teaching kids how to hit and tackle by avoiding using the helmet. A lot of ex-players are involved and want to see kids a play a much safer game than they did.

I'm a parent and if I thought football would put my son at more risk compared to other sports, I would not have allowed him to play.

All sports have inherent risks.
                  I honestly don't think the Seau family is trying to find the NFL culpable. Rather, they can see, as we all can, that the NFL has dragged its heels regarding head injuries. Sure, they've cracked down on head-to-head hits, etc., but they don't promote the use of the safest helmets with anti-concussion features, they actively ban the use of those shells some players used to wear over their helmets that demonstrably cut the risk of concussion, and in general have not been proactive in doing everything they can to create a safer football culture. If the Seaus and Duersons and others of the league have to die as a result of possibly preventable head injuries acquired while playing in the NFL, the least that can come of it is honest disclosure about the risks and real change, the sort not driven by corporate sponsorship, which is infinitely better than everyone crying about how sad it is and then moving on with only token change.
                  Adipose

Comment

• Faded blues
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                    I honestly don't think the Seau family is trying to find the NFL culpable. Rather, they can see, as we all can, that the NFL has dragged its heels regarding head injuries. Sure, they've cracked down on head-to-head hits, etc., but they don't promote the use of the safest helmets with anti-concussion features, they actively ban the use of those shells some players used to wear over their helmets that demonstrably cut the risk of concussion, and in general have not been proactive in doing everything they can to create a safer football culture. If the Seaus and Duersons and others of the league have to die as a result of possibly preventable head injuries acquired while playing in the NFL, the least that can come of it is honest disclosure about the risks and real change, the sort not driven by corporate sponsorship, which is infinitely better than everyone crying about how sad it is and then moving on with only token change.
                    Well put. I will definitely have to look unit the topic further.

Comment

• Faded blues
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2013
                      • Send PM

Into

Comment

• Faded blues
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2013
                        • Send PM

Panama