• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MassGeneralBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

What happened to the Offense?

Granted, I knew this was going to be tough match up knowing Arizona has an outstanding defense and dcoordinator with balls unlike ours (still not sold on Pagano despite Andy Benoit and others claiming he's a solid schemer, how many times has our D not been able to make a play when it counts the most at end of games?), the blame for the loss should mostly been pointed on the offense. The WRs, especially Royal and Keenan stunk up the joint with dropped balls etc, pathetic, Allen wants to be a great receiver and we were all expecting greatness, but come on, we were expecting this offense and these guys in their second year to take the next step and be an explosive offense like Denvers, but we got exposed with attacking Ds with excellent secondary play.

Besides the dropped balls, and Rivers getting a little jerky and playing hurried on that final drive, the inability to run the ball I think was the biggest problem. As much as Mccoy loves to have that quick passing game, his offense heavily relies on the run, and that was the biggest problem. I think we saw the limitations of our playmakers on the edge when they go against a great secondary, but Mccoy and Reich need to get the running game on track or this is going to be a painfully long year. Not sure how much Hardwick will be gone for, but we are getting painfully old with guys that are physically at the end of their career with guys like Gates and Hardwick, and this Oline needs to get on track in a hurry. Where the hell was Ladarius Green in the gameplan last night? It seemed plays took so god damn long to get off and we were not playing the attack hurry up offense that we were all expecting to, to get opposing defenses on their heels.

I think the expectation going into this season especially with the second year in Mccoy offense is what hurts and frustrates us the most. We all knew the D was the big question mark, but we werent expecting the offense to look as erratic, slow and confused. If Reich doesn't get this turned around in a hurry, I want Mccoy to take over the playcalling, cause the difficuty of this schedule doesnt allow for give away games.

-MGHB

Like clockwork, we lose and this dude shows up.

Comment

• rikardo
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

The biggest different with this new OC is the time Rivers gets the call in yesterday looked like the Norv Turner days when Rivers did not have time to change the call because of that. Also to many drop balls by everyone even Rivers...

Comment

• TABF
        Por debajo del promedio
        • Jun 2013
        • SoCal
        • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post
        The biggest different with this new OC is the time Rivers gets the call in yesterday looked like the Norv Turner days when Rivers did not have time to change the call because of that. Also to many drop balls by everyone even Rivers...
        I think we had the play in w/Plenty of time. I think the crowd noise played a huge roll with shifting plays. Tons of talk about the OC yesterday in the game thread, however, Rivers checks out of plays a ton. I thought the game plan was good, I thought our winning attitude was left at Chargers park.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

Pissed logo:
          Last edited by Mister Hoarse; 09-09-2014, 08:38 AM.
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• BoltBalls
            Always keep eye contact!
            • Jun 2013
            • SD!
            • Send PM

All I have to say about this game is SEVEN DROPS. FIVE of them were by the offense, all by normally dependable veterans. You can't win games in the NFL with that many mistakes period. I've been a lurker most of this offseason but I've been as excited as most of you were for the games to start but this is just deja vu all over again with another heartbreaking epic failure to start the season.

Let's hope they turn things around more quickly and eliminate these crucial mistakes. Rivers had a good game if it wasn't for all the drops and that horribly timed dropped snap. It was the Halloween Chiefs game all over again there, that was an expected field goal which would have been enough to win it.
            Last edited by BoltBalls; 09-09-2014, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
              SLAM DUNK!
              • Jun 2013
              • East County San Diego
              • Bolt fanatic
              • Send PM

It is only one game but the offense never looked that discombobulated last year with Whisenhunt.

They better figure it out quick.
              migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Knucklebear
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I didn't have a chance to watch the game (but kept up with the live updates), what happened to the run game?

Besides the TD by Matthews they couldn't get anything going.

Comment

• TABF
                  Por debajo del promedio
                  • Jun 2013
                  • SoCal
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                  It is only one game but the offense never looked that discombobulated last year with Whisenhunt.

Texans game, Second half... Mirror image.

Joe

Comment

• CTrout
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post

I think there's alot of short memories round here. The Texans, Titans and Redskin games from last year all come to mind. The Cardinals D is much much better then those D's.
                    Stop the stupid mistakes and this O would of been good enough to win the game.

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
                      I think there's alot of short memories round here. The Texans, Titans and Redskin games from last year all come to mind. The Cardinals D is much much better then those D's.
                      Stop the stupid mistakes and this O would of been good enough to win the game.
                      Yeah mistakes killed us.

Dilfer said it best...we didn't finish. Drops, missed INTs, botched snap, etc.
                      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• KNSD
                        Registered Charger Hater
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

What happened? Arizona is a pretty damn good defense. That's what happened. Every little mistake (and there were many) gets magnified when you play really good teams.
                        Prediction:
                        Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                        Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

Working...
                        X