Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Thoughts for Free Agency

They put this up as a FA thing, but applies to the draft as well.
    1).Stop believing that the next RB is the exception. Travis Henry is the current one, but this happens every few years.

2). Be careful with the flash in the pan QB.

3). Take chances on players who have played well in limited roles. Shaq Barrett is this years example.

4). Off the ball LB (read not pass rushers) who can't cover don't help much.

5). Adding one pass rusher to your D isn't going to help much. Houston, Clowney and Flowers all put up great PFF grades to justify their salaries, but it was like putting a finger in the failing dam. The 3 defenses finished in the 23rd or worse. One pass rusher doesn't help unless you have others to help him.

PFF's Ben Linsey offers up five lessons that teams should learn from the 2019 offseason.
    PFF's Ben Linsey offers up five lessons that teams should learn from the 2019 offseason.
  • Sgt Schultz
    Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
    • Jun 2013
    • Palm Springs
    • I know nothing
    • Send PM

What about this from that article?

"
    We've been preaching that coverage is more important than pass-rush for a while now — you can find the latest installment
    here
    — and this is another sign pointing towards that. It's never a bad thing to add a player like Houston, Flowers or Clowney, one who can get after the quarterback at a high level, but teams should be prioritizing coverage while being wary of handing out contracts in the range of $15 to $25 million per year to players who don't play the game's most valuable positions."

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
      Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
      • Jun 2013
      • Palm Springs
      • I know nothing
      • Send PM

Gus did say that Bosa and Ingram would be more effective if the corners could play man.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 8/6/1960 View Post

"
        We've been preaching that coverage is more important than pass-rush for a while now — you can find the latest installment
        here
        — and this is another sign pointing towards that. It's never a bad thing to add a player like Houston, Flowers or Clowney, one who can get after the quarterback at a high level, but teams should be prioritizing coverage while being wary of handing out contracts in the range of $15 to $25 million per year to players who don't play the game's most valuable positions."
        Id call bullshit. If you have no pass rush the WRs will get open eventually a we see it time and time again in every game. Sure there are coverage sacks but disrupting the QB gets more results more often.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

"
          here
          I think the PFF article has some insight, but I think their overall conclusion(s) are wrong.

1). The pass rush/pass coverage is a dynamic, so to a point splitting the thing up is pointless. You have to do both.

2). It is better to have several good to very good pass rusher than to have one elite player. It is too easy for an offense to account for the single player, and pass rushing is just too inconsistent for 1 individual to do much (beyond a single) game. You need lots of pass rusher, all contributing.

3). Pass coverage is probably more important than some fans and NFL teams realize. However, NFL offenses for the last 40 years have been systematically structured to get the ball out of the QB hands faster. NFL QB are COACHED to get rid of the ball after 3 seconds.
          If that isn't proof that pass rush is more important.
          , I don't know what is. The PFF is analyzing the impacts of rush vs cover in a vacuum, and missing all this.

4). I do believe the Chargers have some of the pieces for a very strong pass defense. We have most of a pretty good secondary. We have great edge rushers, with some depth behind them. We have up and coming inside rushers. We need A) a FS who can play single high FS (Adderley), B). better CB play from either Mike Davis or whoever they bring in to compete with him, and C). the offense has to score more and/or hold onto the ball to put more pressure on offenses. I think we have the makings of a dominant D, but we aren't there yet.

They put this up as a FA thing, but applies to the draft as well. 1).Stop believing that the next RB is the exception. Travis Henry is the current one, but this happens every few years. 2). Be careful with the flash in the pan QB. 3). Take chances on players who have played well in limited roles. Shaq Barrett is this

Gus did say that Bosa and Ingram would be more effective if the corners could play man.
          Ideally I would like to see us get better and be able to play man coverage, especially press man, but just playing better zone coverage would be a big help too. If the coverage makes the QB go through his reads and not be able to just throw off his back foot when he sets, then it gives the pass rushers time to get to the QB. And beyond that, we need inside pass rushers to keep the QB from stepping up in the pocket and DE who keep the QB contained and forces them to step into the DT rush.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

We are going to find out tomorrow.
            Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I think the PFF article has some insight, but I think their overall conclusion(s) are wrong.

1). The pass rush/pass coverage is a dynamic, so to a point splitting the thing up is pointless. You have to do both.

2). It is better to have several good to very good pass rusher than to have one elite player. It is too easy for an offense to account for the single player, and pass rushing is just too inconsistent for 1 individual to do much (beyond a single) game. You need lots of pass rusher, all contributing.

3). Pass coverage is probably more important than some fans and NFL teams realize. However, NFL offenses for the last 40 years have been systematically structured to get the ball out of the QB hands faster. NFL QB are COACHED to get rid of the ball after 3 seconds.
              If that isn't proof that pass rush is more important.
              , I don't know what is. The PFF is analyzing the impacts of rush vs cover in a vacuum, and missing all this.

4). I do believe the Chargers have some of the pieces for a very strong pass defense. We have most of a pretty good secondary. We have great edge rushers, with some depth behind them. We have up and coming inside rushers. We need A) a FS who can play single high FS (Adderley), B). better CB play from either Mike Davis or whoever they bring in to compete with him, and C). the offense has to score more and/or hold onto the ball to put more pressure on offenses. I think we have the makings of a dominant D, but we aren't there yet.

They put this up as a FA thing, but applies to the draft as well. 1).Stop believing that the next RB is the exception. Travis Henry is the current one, but this happens every few years. 2). Be careful with the flash in the pan QB. 3). Take chances on players who have played well in limited roles. Shaq Barrett is this

Ideally I would like to see us get better and be able to play man coverage, especially press man, but just playing better zone coverage would be a big help too. If the coverage makes the QB go through his reads and not be able to just throw off his back foot when he sets, then it gives the pass rushers time to get to the QB. And beyond that, we need inside pass rushers to keep the QB from stepping up in the pocket and DE who keep the QB contained and forces them to step into the DT rush.
              Steve, with QB's getting rid of the rock faster nowadays, this would be a good case for drafting Simmons and letting him roam the flats doing his disruptive thing...

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Steve, with QB's getting rid of the rock faster nowadays, this would be a good case for drafting Simmons and letting him roam the flats doing his disruptive thing...
                Think of our D with Isaiah and Derwin playing opposite side hang defenders.

XXXXXXXXXXX - - BOSA - TILLERY - PIERCE - SUPAMEL - - XXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXX - - - DERWIN - - - - TRANQUIL - - - - KYZIR - - - - ISAIAH - - - XXXXXX

XXX - - SHOWCASE - - - - - - - - - - - NASIR - - - - - - - - - - - - DANTZLER - - XXX
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

How about DTs on the interior who are actually a threat in pass rush? Gus and Lynn overlook that. They think the team can get away with having players like Square and Jones, who are limited at pass rushing, to provide those. Yeah we have Tillery, but he's one guy and that's not enough.

And yes, the cornerback group is nothing to write at home. The unit is weak other than Hayward.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                    • Send PM

I would take an elite dline with average DBs over average dline and elite DBs anyday...

QB worries a lot more about that pass rush, and if it isn't getting to him, sooner or later someone is gonna get seperation, or come back on a route, or he hits his safety valve.

You make him have to think faster, and worry about sack for a loss, ball strip, or his physical health...then your getting somewhere..
                    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

They won't make the playoffs next year - don't just try to fill holes.

i'd like them to approach free agency with the idea that they are building a team - not completing it.

I'd rather they focus their money on one player, instead of bringing in 3-4 marginal players (like last year).

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                        I would take an elite dline with average DBs over average dline and elite DBs anyday...

QB worries a lot more about that pass rush, and if it isn't getting to him, sooner or later someone is gonna get seperation, or come back on a route, or he hits his safety valve.

You make him have to think faster, and worry about sack for a loss, ball strip, or his physical health...then your getting somewhere..
                        I watched Kinlaw against Alabama yesterday Lone Bolt: he doesn't look like a #6 selection. I'm on the border with Brown. Is there anyone in free agency?

Defensive tackles in free agency seem to bomb out regularly. Except for Reggie White, I can't think of a single one that made a big difference.

Comment

Working...
                        X