• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

DLine depth

Practice was over Wednesday afternoon when Corey Liuget was approached by a group of rookies and asked if he would help them with their technique.

Liuget obliged, commencing an on-field clinic for undrafted rookies Byron Jerideau, Brandon Moore and Kwame Geathers. Cam Thomas, who had been tending to another obligation, showed up after a while to offer additional wisdom.

Before the players returned to the locker room, they knelt together in prayer, something the group has been doing after every practice since before any of the current defensive lineman arrived.

Jacques Cesaire, Luis Castillo, Antonio Garay, et al, are gone. But they are not forgotten – in the form of what they passed down to Liuget and Thomas being paid forward.

“We’re a new generation right now,” Liuget said. “But we still keep the tradition of what those guys brought to the Chargers organization and what they mean and how they just structured that role … Cam is stepping up, and myself also. Cam is still showing me the ropes. He was with those guys longer. For me to be able to help a young guy and show them what it takes to make the team is very good because I’m helping this team out overall.”

“You never know, our D-line is young, and I may go down or Cam may go down, one of us may go down, and we need someone to step up and be able to fill that role.”

Good looking out. And good thing.

Because this defensive line may well be long on potential, but it is definitely short on experience.

While we’re accustomed to obsessing over the state of the Chargers offensive line, the other line presently is a concern as well.

With Liuget and Kendall Reyes both showing in the second half of last season that they will make us rethink what a defensive end in a 3-4 defense is capable of and Thomas developing slowly but surely at nose tackle, the line has an immense upside. But, as a whole, its depth is thin enough to see through and relatively young enough to breast feed.

Thomas is entering his fourth season, Liuget his third and Reyes his second. Jarius Wynn, signed in April, is entering his fifth season, though he has started just four games.

As for experience, that’s pretty much it.

With Wynn appearing on track to make the roster, that leaves a likely two spots that, barring a veteran free agent signing, would be filled by undrafted rookies or Damik Scafe, who has played a total of 14 defensive snaps.

Not since 2004 has there been this much flux in the unit going into a season.
    Of all the changes at Chargers Park, perhaps no shift has been as dramatic as on the defensive line, which for so long was long on experience.

When Liuget was a rookie in 2011, Cam Thomas and Vaughn Martin were entering their third season. The other defensive linemen to begin that season with the Chargers were Luis Castillo (in his seventh season), Jacques Cesaire (ninth season) and Antonio Garay (sixth season).

Thomas’ rookie year, he got to learn from 12-year veteran Jamal Williams in training camp, and ninth-year man Alfonso Boone joined the team in September.

“I was in the backseat just listening, observing everything, learning,” Thomas said. “Now it’s like ‘Okay, it’s your turn to sit in the front seat now.’ Now it’s like everything they instilled in me, I’m going to instill in (the young) guys.”

In that the Chargers have used fewer than six different starters on the defensive line just once in the past four seasons, that could well prove beneficial.

In praising Liuget, Reyes and Thomas for their willingness to share information, Geathers said something that will take some getting used to:

“They’re older, they’re veterans.”

On this unit this year, yes they are.
    Last edited by oneinchpunch; 08-01-2013, 07:38 PM.
    Hashtag thepowderblues
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Wynn and Geathers have two of the backup spots locked up IMO.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

This is the stuff that happens when you change the GM and HC while transitioning a young family member/0wner into a more promin8 roll.
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
        This is the stuff that happens when you change the GM and HC while transitioning a young family member/0wner into a more promin8 roll.
        I'd say it is much more what happens when the former GM left the team with an aging rosters, a large number of expiring contracts, little cap space, and a ton of holes.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Supposedly AJ had a plan, maybe that plan was damn the Norvpedo's maybe not. Change at the top has waves not ripples. A change in schemes even more so.
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
            Supposedly AJ had a plan, maybe that plan was damn the Norvpedo's maybe not. Change at the top has waves not ripples. A change in schemes even more so.
            Damn this Norvpedoes
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              I'd say it is much more what happens when the former GM left the team with an aging rosters, a large number of expiring contracts, little cap space, and a ton of holes.
              sounds like you think the owner and capologist had no input and didn't sign off on any of the (now) unfavorable contracts? I've never heard of a GM having the owner's checkbook in hand and blanket authority to spend whatever he wants on player contracts.
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

The players more than the contracts were the issue. You normally aren't looking to cut a player the very next year after you sign them to a long term deal.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

It depends on how much the unfavorable contracts figured into their signing. If we threw these big deals at these guys, but they might have signed for less, or more team friendly deals, then we screwed up.

If that was the only way to get them, then there are those that argue we did what you are supposed to do in FA. You got the players you wanted, that you thought would help. And that is my issue with FA.

Personally, I think the FA thing was sort of tragically doomed. How many true starters can you get in FA anymore? But you have to give big contracts. So you tend to give big money deals to role players, who can then never begin to approach the sort of production needed to justify the contract they just signed.

Or if you do find starters, are they really the guys you want anyway? You just can't find the ideal candidates (low risk) to throw big deals at because teams don't let those guys become FA. The guys that do, are just worried about being the big winners in FA, get the big deal, and then it changes them.

Most big singing FA contracts are just a waste of time and money. You rarely get the player you paid for.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Ed McGuire has lost a step

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      The players more than the contracts were the issue. You normally aren't looking to cut a player the very next year after you sign them to a long term deal.
                      agreed. which is also why I don't see McClain, Meacham, and even Royal on the "waiting to be cut" list to use their $ elsewhere like some on here. The idea was never to get these guys for 1 year where they perform like Pro Bowlers and cut them if they didn't. IMO they get every opportunity to compete for jobs and playing time this year with the MM clean slate policy, and only get cut if they are clearly outplayed by a cheaper guy who will get all the snaps AND we get cap relief but not more dead $ cutting them this year.
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Den60
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        Martin was old?

Comment

Working...
                        X