• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

He had two or three his first year and as a draft pick he had a concussion history in college IIRC. He is less stoutly built than RM as well IIRC.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

2014 Buffalo Bills 9 5 78 300 3.8 53 0 19 125 6.6 25 1 3 1

2013 Buffalo Bills 15 10 202 933 4.6 77 2 33 185 5.6 27 0 4 1

2012 Buffalo Bills 16 9 207 1,244 6.0 62 6 43 459 10.7 66T 2 3 3

2011 Buffalo Bills 16 11 107 561 5.2 38 4 39 269 6.9 19 2 2 0

2010 Buffalo Bills 14 1 74 283 3.8 20 0 24 157 6.5 41 1 5 3

TOTAL 668 3,321 5.0 77 12 158 1,195 7.6 66 6 17 8

6 career TDs vs 17 Fumbles... No thank you!
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Branden Oliver Strives for More After Seizing Opportunity

Posted 56 minutes ago

Hayley Elwood

Contributing Writer

Facebook Twitter

From being undrafted to leading the Bolts in rushing as a rookie, Branden Oliver eyes even more.

View Gallery | 28 Photos

Best of 2014: Branden Oliver

In a mere matter of months, running back Branden Oliver went from an unknown undrafted rookie free agent to a valuable contributor for the San Diego Chargers.

“I’m definitely blessed,” Oliver reflected. “I just have to thank God for the opportunity first and foremost. My body is good, I learned a lot this year and the game has slowed down a whole lot for me. I know there are greater things to look forward to and I know I still have a lot of work to do.”
        With a crowded running back room, the undrafted rookie out of Buffalo never lost faith even though he knew making it through roster cuts was going to be tough. Yet like successful undrafted players before him, he also knew he had to take advantage of every opportunity to prove his value. Oliver did just that, looking to fellow undrafted running back and veteran Danny Woodhead for advice throughout training camp. Then, in the Bolts’ first preseason game against the Dallas Cowboys, he made a name for himself, averaging 9.1 yards per carry with one touchdown.

Despite the success he had during the regular season, Oliver said this game was his favorite moment of 2014.

“(I enjoyed) the preseason game against Dallas when I got in and started tearing it up,” he said. “I thank God for giving me the opportunity to do what I do. I thank the coaches for the opportunity and (President) Dean Spanos on down (through) the whole San Diego Chargers organization.”

Not only did Oliver survive two roster cuts to make the team’s final roster and clinch a coveted spot, he became a major contributor to the offense by stepping up when Woodhead, Ryan Mathews and Donald Brown went down.

“It was unfortunate, but I had to step up,” he said. “That’s what Coach (Mike) McCoy was telling us; (that it’s) next man up. I got the opportunity to shine and I had to take advantage of the opportunity.”

Oliver, who never fumbled, played in 14 games this season with seven starts. He led the team in most statistical rushing categories with 160 carries for 582 yards and three touchdowns. He also contributed in the receiving game by catching 36 passes for 271 yards and a score.

The two-time Pepsi Rookie of the Week said being the team’s leading rusher in 2014 is a huge accomplishment. However, he’s not satisfied, using his rookie year to fuel his game to the next level.

“It means a lot but at the same time there’s always room for improvement. I know I can do much better from the things I’ve learned this year. Like I said, the game has slowed down so much so next year the sky’s the limit. I just want to take it to another level.”

As he heads towards his sophomore campaign, Oliver’s goal this offseason is to train and get in the best possible shape for next season.

“I’m definitely going to improve,” he said. “I’m trying to get back to work in the next couple weeks. I really don’t want to take too much time off and will definitely have fun while I’m doing it.”
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

This is my dream running back... Someone just like Mathews except he stays healthy.

OR

Someone just like Oliver except bigger and faster.
          For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Faded blues
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2013
            • Send PM

Ingram beast gore
            Draft

Comment

• homeless simpson
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Is there a rb in college that looks like he'd be good/great regardless of line? Not likely to find someone like LT, but LT looked good even with abysmal OL (2001, 2003)

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

There are always RB who look good in college with only fair OL. The catch I they need to figure out what we want to do on O. Mathews may not get respect from fans, but there are not many RB who can threaten the inside and outside like he did. Plenty can do one or the other, but it is going to be tough to find someone to replace him.

The other thing we will need to do is step up the blocking. Some RB (like LT and Mathews) can get by with less than stellar blocking, but how many are there? If we can't find one, then we need to upgrade the TE blocking (or move Johnson to TE from FB) as well as the OL.

And if we go for some rookie likeGurley, it probably means gutting our scheme to accommodate the new player.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Tom Telesco has eye on Chargers' line
                  By Michael Gehlken5 A.M.JAN. 1, 2015

Ryan Mathews missed 10 games in 2014. Danny Woodhead missed 13. Donald Brown averaged 2.6 yards per carry for a team that averaged 3.4, second worst in the NFL. A rookie led the Chargers in rushing. Unlike Mathews in 2010 or LaDainian Tomlinson in 2001, he wasn't planned.

Sixteen games set a tone for this offseason: The running game must improve.

On Wednesday, Tom Telesco set the tone as to how.

"I like the backs we have right now," Telesco said. "I really do. ... I like our guys."

The Chargers general manager met with reporters on New Year's Eve for his annual after-season press conference. His annoyance the session was held in 2014 instead of 2015 was palpable, not quite over a Sunday loss in Kansas City that ended the season earlier than planned. Telesco assured he won't make any personnel decisions off emotion, but to improve a maligned running game, he pointed to the offensive line as where change is most dire.

It's not running back.

It's not Brown.

Telesco spoke definitively about the future of the former Colts running back, who signed a three-year contract last March. Brown is due a $3 million base salary in 2015 if on the active roster Week 1. Telesco flatly answered "yes," with repetition, when asked if Brown will be a Charger next season.

Brown had 85 carries for 223 yards with 22 catches for 211.

"Donald's the same back as he was last year, but he averaged over 5 yards per carry the year before," Telesco said. "Did he get as many good opportunities? I don't know. ... We thought he mixed in well with our guys. I have a lot of confidence in Donald; I really do.

"Whether you didn't see enough on him this year or not, I have a lot of confidence in him. Even in the passing game, as far as taking a 5- or 6-yard checkdown pass and turning it 15 or 20 yards, he's got some big-play ability. Like I said, you probably didn't see enough of that this year, but it's there. I feel good about it, and I'm glad he's here."

So, Brown will join Danny Woodhead and Branden Oliver in the backfield in 2015.

Whether Mathews will, too, is a question that still lingers.

The Chargers offense clearly is better with him than without; however, too often his place on the roster is not synonymous with his place on the field. Either Mathews or the Chargers can build an argument that a fresh start is in the respective side's best interest.

Be it in San Diego or elsewhere, the most logical contract structure for Mathews may be one that prominently features not likely to be earned (NTLBE) incentives.

Along with Mathews' base salary and signing bonus, he would receive bonuses for such performance landmarks as season-yardage totals or Pro Bowl selections. The Chargers did something similar in 2014 with other players, including wide receiver Eddie Royal. He earned $750,000 of his $1 million in NTLBEs due to his reception total and yardage.

"We'll look at all our options," Telesco said. "We have a lot of different ways we can go. ... We know what Ryan brings to us. He's a great kid."

Telesco likes his backs, yet the running game must improve.

That leads to the offensive line.

Left tackle King Dunlap, a 16-game starter, is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent. His 2014 season is expect to command the attention of an open market. Starting guards Chad Rinehart and Johnnie Troutman are both under contract for 2015. The team may work to upgrade at both spots.

That could mean a high-priced free agent, such as the 49ers guard Mike Iupati. It could mean a more affordable one. There's the draft.

On Wednesday, Telesco entertained an in-house option.

He has been asked before about right tackle D.J. Fluker possibly moving inside to guard, a position where some teams projected the first-round choice in the first place entering the 2013 NFL Draft. As he has before, Telesco expressed confidence in Fluker at right tackle only this time, for the first time, he spoke highly of Fluker's versatility to play guard.

Mathews may be the Chargers' most talked-about free agent this season.

The line, for the second time in three years, could be the offense's most intriguing position group.

"The running game as a whole has to get better," Telesco said. "There's no doubt. We saw 16 games of that, so that's pretty easy to see. That's all part of the offseason. We've got to figure out where the issues are. There were some good things this year, probably more good things in pass protection than the run game. But that's something we need to work on moving forward; there's no question about it."

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Ahhh, Fluker to RG, yes please.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

https://<iframe src='http://streamab...'no'></iframe>

Hmmm Maybe Fluker to TE would be better.
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        Last year's crap oline got it together and played better than many thought they ever would, don't see why they can't do it again.
                        Why not. Tommy T solved the OL and depth issues. Now he just needs a RB
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                          Grammar Police
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

TT counted on Hardwick and Clary. That was his error and an understandable one. Let's not start weaving the threads of revisionist history eh OIP?
                          Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                          X