• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Hello Watt

MM said after the game in his locker room speech that the running game had to improve. And that he will be looking at it closely. JAX is a great team to use to break in the rookie

By the way, this play was pathetic. The o-line needs to step it up.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Wat
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Maverick
      (Coryellian)
      • Jun 2013
      • Point Loma
      • Send PM

Wut?

Comment

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

I doubt Orhnberger is being replaced anytime soon. Troutman on the other hand. Still making the same mistakes from what I heard.

I'd like to just put Watt next to Fluker and let them grow together. We either draft or sign a C next offseason.

Comment

• KNSD
            Registered Charger Hater
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Orhnberger is fine. Chargers did nothing but PREDICTABLY run right up the middle this last game. Hardwick would have had a piss poor grade too given the fact that the Bill's two best defenders are their DTs.
            Prediction:
            Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
            Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
            Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
              Orhnberger is fine. Chargers did nothing but PREDICTABLY run right up the middle this last game. Hardwick would have had a piss poor grade too given the fact that the Bill's two best defenders are their DTs.
              Teams knew we were going to run LT in the Martyball days, but we just executed better than they did. Obviously we don't have a talent like LT on the roster, but we also aren't opening up the kind of holes he had either.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                Go Aztecs and Pads
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                Teams knew we were going to run LT in the Martyball days, but we just executed better than they did. Obviously we don't have a talent like LT on the roster, but we also aren't opening up the kind of holes he had either.
                I used to think it was all about the O'line. But Tomlinson kicked ass even before Dielman and McNeill started parting the defense for him. O'lines can make certain runners look like Hall of Famers (Denver did that for a few backs). And O'lines can make certain runningbacks wish for an early retirement. (The Rams almost ended Jerome Bettis's career before he escaped to Pittsburgh.) But, when the runningback was Tomlinson, the O'line really only meant so much. Dude found the tiniest of holes and exploited them for way more yards than he should have.

Comment

• Wheels
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • San Diego
                  • Send PM

That's true about LT, he was one of the greatest. But he had his best season when the OL was mauling people.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                    Go Aztecs and Pads
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                    That's true about LT, he was one of the greatest. But he had his best season when the OL was mauling people.
                    In 2006, Tomlinson had his most well-known year. Set the record for points, had a shit load of yards rushing and averaged over 5 yards per carry.

But, before Dielman was good, before McNeill was in the NFL, when we were hardly winning any games, in 2003, Tomlinson got more combined yards rushing and receiving than he did in 2006. He also had an even higher average per rush than he did in 2006. He didn't have the insane amount of rushing TDs or quite the amount of yards rushing. But, really, it depends what you mean by "best season".

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Yeah, but remember that even as great as LT was, he average less than 4 yards per carry in 4 separate seasons with us. RB need holes to run through and our line is not opening anything up the middle. Our best runs this year have been Mathews outside and Rivers scrambling up the middle. It's been very unimpressive.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                        Go Aztecs and Pads
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        Yeah, but remember that even as great as LT was, he average less than 4 yards per carry in 4 separate seasons with us. RB need holes to run through and our line is not opening anything up the middle. Our best runs this year have been Mathews outside and Rivers scrambling up the middle. It's been very unimpressive.
                        Tomlison averaged 3.9 yards per carry in 2004 in his first year under Marty. He also led the league in touchdowns that season, I think.

In Tomlinson's rookie year, he averaged 3.6 and had more than 1,200 yards rushing.

The other two times Tomlinson averaged fewer than 4 yards per carry were at the end of his Chargers career under Norv.

I didn't mean to imply that o'linemen are unnecessary aspects of the running game. I only meant that LaDainian Tomlinson was great. He was able to kick ass with or without much help from his line, which was really unusual. Not saying our current group of runners, or anybody else's runners this year, can do what he did. Most runningbacks need a good o'line. Good o'lines, in fact, make bad runners look good.
                        Last edited by thelightningwill; 09-22-2014, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X