• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Paul Oliver's family suing the NFL, Chargers and Saints

The relatives of former San Diego Chargers defensive back Paul Oliver have sued the National Football League for wrongful death, saying that concussions contributed to his suicide last year and the league had covered up the dangers of head injuries.
  • UtahBolt
    Did we win?
    • Jun 2013
    • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
    • Send PM

Ugh. I had no idea he shot himself in front of his family. Terrible...
    I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• RTPbolt
      Charger Fan till the end
      • Jun 2013
      • North Carolina
      • Send PM

Yes horrible. I had not even heard that.

Its such a hard issue to put your finger on. No doubt its been a lifetime of football head dings leading up to the state of his brain. I wouldn't put all the blame on the NFL. Im sure it was college and high school and pee wee that contributes to all these cases. I do feel for the family and hope there can be some compensation to assist them. I do think the players have always had choice and I think they can't really claim complete ignorance of the dangers of playing this game for the money and love of the game.

Very sorry to hear though....horrible for this kids and wife to witness it. Just awful.

Comment

• Savage Lizard
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Big Bear
        • Self-employed property manager.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
        Its such a hard issue to put your finger on. No doubt its been a lifetime of football head dings leading up to the state of his brain. I wouldn't put all the blame on the NFL. Im sure it was college and high school and pee wee that contributes to all these cases. I do feel for the family and hope there can be some compensation to assist them. I do think the players have always had choice and I think they can't really claim complete ignorance of the dangers of playing this game for the money and love of the game.
        But the NFL has the deep pockets. Who the hell signed all those permission slips for pee wee, and high school football?

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Wonder if the NFL will start requiring players to sign a waiver before being drafted or signed. Or do they already do that?
          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Faded blues
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2013
            • Send PM

Waivers generally carry little wait in the court of law considerongg the circumstances.

The question is can the plaintiffs demonstrate causation linking Cte to suicidal actions.

I'm sure there were other factors involved.

Just sad. Prayers to the family

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
              Waivers generally carry little wait in the court of law considerongg the circumstances.

The question is can the plaintiffs demonstrate causation linking Cte to suicidal actions.

I'm sure there were other factors involved.

Just sad. Prayers to the family
              By the same token, can they link the CTE to his pro football career, and not a prior condition from the many years it took him to get to the NFL. It is not like he played a Lot or had a long pro career.

Comment

• Faded blues
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                By the same token, can they link the CTE to his pro football career, and not a prior condition from the many years it took him to get to the NFL. It is not like he played a Lot or had a long pro career.
                The problem with past concussions dating back to peewee is having documented proof. 15 years ago youth sports weren't up to speed with the severity of concussions. If Oliver visited a doctor due to a concussion, then there proof exists. Must players back in the day, just shrugged it off. Without documentation, the incident never occurred.

The Chargers will most likely keen on two fronts being trying to break the link to cte being the sole reason behind his suicide and the limiting the projected earnings of Oliver. Civil cases are a nasty business where everyone points fingers and calls the othersode liars and such.

Honestly, for the sake of both sides, I hope they settle out of court.

Witnessing your dad blow his brains out will have a lifetime affect on the kids mentally, I hope they can recover from this tragic event they witness.

Comment

• Sec-E4
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2014
                  • Arizona
                  • Send PM

You sign up knowing you can make movie star money in your NFL career, You can also become a Hall of Fame Player, Or your career can end in one single play. This is a Job & it is what you signed up for.

Comment

Working...
                  X