Chargers leading division for first time since 2011.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buck
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Chargers leading division for first time since 2011.

I'm pretty sure we haven't been first place all by ourselves since we started 4-1 in the 2011 season (Week 9 we were 4-4 and still in first place). That is 46 weeks since we were alone atop the division.

Cheers!
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

46 weeks?
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Buck
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
      46 weeks?
      46 weeks of Regular season weeks.

Comment

• TABF
        Por debajo del promedio
        • Jun 2013
        • SoCal
        • Send PM

46 weeks?
        Dude, love what you bring, but your kinda like the internet police sometimes!
        Thought it was quite obvious what he meant!

Just say'n...

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
          Dude, love what you bring, but your kinda like the internet police sometimes!
          Thought it was quite obvious what he meant!

Just say'n...
          I thought he might've meant months and been off by some weeks . I was thinking real time not football season time
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

I thought he might've meant months and been off by some weeks . I was thinking real time not football season time
            Ugghh
            Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• homeless simpson
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

more accurately, we haven't topped the division since Manning signed with the Broncos in 2012.

Comment

• rikardo
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I expect the Chargers to win the super bowl this year.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

It's half a game, not really ready to get too excited about it yet.

If we had beaten them head to head, then it would be worth getting a little more fired up about.

But, the good thing is that the Chargers under McCoy seem to play better vs the best teams, so I know a few of us (me included) were holding our breath some until we saw that we actually did show up to play.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                    No Sir, I Dont Like It
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Section 457
                    • Migrant Film Worker
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post
                    I expect the Chargers to win the super bowl this year.
                    I hope youre right. Doing my best to stick around until then.
                    No I'm not... Go Chagras!
                    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      It's half a game, not really ready to get too excited about it yet.

If we had beaten them head to head, then it would be worth getting a little more fired up about.

But, the good thing is that the Chargers under McCoy seem to play better vs the best teams, so I know a few of us (me included) were holding our breath some until we saw that we actually did show up to play.
                      Yeah, I've been holding onto that same thought whenever we come out looking unprepared in games like this.
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• sandiego17
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Chargers a legit AFC West threat
                        Denver is the favorite, but San Diego has the key attributes to make a run

Last season, the Denver Broncos were the class of the AFC and pretty much ran away with the AFC West division. The same thing was supposed to happen this season, except the San Diego Chargers are not going to go down without a battle; they are here to stay.

In 2013, Denver won the division by two games. It lost just three times in the regular season, falling twice on the road, to Andrew Luck's Indianapolis Colts and Tom Brady's New England Patriots, and just once at home -- to Philip Rivers and the Chargers.

On Sunday, the Chargers completely dismantled the New York Jets to move to 4-1, sitting atop the division (though they've played one game more than Denver) and riding a four-game win streak. They are legit and will push Denver. Here's why:

Rivers is having an MVP-caliber season

Manning has been everybody's default MVP vote for much of his career. He now has five MVP awards, and could arguably have had more, but through the first quarter of the season, the best quarterback in football -- as well as the most valuable player overall -- has been San Diego's Rivers.

Like Manning, Rivers has been able to get it done regardless of the performance of his offensive line. He has shown an incredible ability to find an outlet pass when heat develops, and his passer rating under pressure is 96.4, which ranks fifth in the league (average is 65.6). Rivers has faced more pressure than the average quarterback (only three passers have felt heat on more than the 63 snaps Rivers has), but he has been accurate on 70.5 percent of the throws he has made under duress, a top-five mark in the NFL.

At the moment, Rivers is in control of an offense in perfect rhythm. He resembles Manning even more as he works at the line of scrimmage in the San Diego no-huddle offense, getting people to the line and executing the right plays to attack what he sees. He may not have the world's best rushing attack, but his backfield has been functional and he has been able to offset that with the passing game to keep the chains moving.

The fact that Rivers is being so successful despite no dominant run game highlights his performance. San Diego has 13 offensive players with a negative PFF grade for run blocking, and its running backs are averaging just 2.8 yards per carry. Keep in mind that this is despite Branden Oliver averaging a respectable 4.8 yards per rush.

Though the running game hasn't aided him much, Rivers is certainly surrounded with weaponry in the passing game. Antonio Gates doesn't have the same speed he once did, but he has compensated for that loss by building up an array of subtle moves and routes to get open and generate separation. Keenan Allen, Malcom Floyd and Eddie Royal are not only capable receivers, but they also each bring something completely different to the table, allowing Rivers to move between them depending on the defense, situation and matchup.

There is also the untapped potential of Ladarius Green and Oliver further down the depth chart. There is a component on offense for every down-and-distance situation that Rivers faces, and he knows how to get use each one.

Additions on defense

Last season, the Chargers' defense was an average unit at best. Only the Chicago Bears surrendered more yards per play than San Diego's 6.1, and the Chargers were middle of the pack in most other defensive statistical categories. They appear to have improved significantly in several key areas to transform the unit this year.

This season, they are giving up just 5.0 yards per play, good enough to tie for fourth in the league, and they lead the NFL in fewest points allowed.

Their secondary has been overhauled with the additions of Brandon Flowers and top draft pick Jason Verrett. The pair represent two of the top 11 corners in PFF grading through the first five weeks of the season, and each has had big games where he has broken up key passes and stuck to opposing receivers. That has had a positive impact on the play of safety Eric Weddle, who no longer has to worry about those around him in the secondary and can concentrate on his own performance (unlike 2013). Weddle is already halfway to surpassing his 2013 PFF grade for the entire season and is allowing a passer rating of just 45.7 into his coverage this season.

Up front, we have been reminded that Dwight Freeney is both still in the league and a devastating pass-rusher when healthy. Though he has only two sacks, he has taken the quarterback down five times and notched a further 18 hurries from his 215 snaps this season. He could easily have had two or three more sacks, but on those plays he has forced the quarterback to break the pocket and improvise. The Chargers' defense struggled with no top-level pass-rusher in 2013, but Freeney is finally proving to be the answer they hoped he would be when they signed him before last season.

Balance of power

The Broncos will certainly remain the favorite in the division. But San Diego was able to defeat them in Denver in 2013, and this is a far better Chargers team than a year ago. With Rivers playing at an MVP level and the defense benefiting from being bolstered in key spots, this is a team that can match Denver in most areas. In fact, with the possible exception of the offensive line, this San Diego side is a close replica of the Broncos, period.

We have come to expect Manning to lead his team to a division crown, but it's not often he comes across somebody else in his division playing at an MVP level. The last time he did was 2003, when the late Steve McNair took the Tennessee Titans to the same 12-4 record as Manning's Colts. Only tiebreakers separated the two teams.

San Diego is a major obstacle in the way of Denver retaining the AFC West, and Rivers playing at this level will keep the Chargers there.

Comment

Working...
                        X