• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I was a little surprised and disappointed that people wanted to demote him or maybe even cut him after that first game. Admittedly he had a poor game, but the guy has been a pretty important role player when healthy since he's been in SD. I'm not a fan of him on punt returns-- he does too much of that running backward shit. But he's been a pretty nice receiver for us. He sure opens things up for the passing game when he's a factor.

Comment

• RTPbolt
      Charger Fan till the end
      • Jun 2013
      • North Carolina
      • Send PM

I just hope he stays healthy. He started great last year than kind of disappeared. I like him, Allen and Floyd as our trio. All have solid skills that add to Gates to make us hard to pick a guy to shut down. They took Gates out but our trio stepped up nicely.

Keep getting Royal in space like that. Really has some quick feet to avoid getting tackled.

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

They still need to find a way to involve Green (when healthy).

One of the reasons our running attack was so effective last year was because we had two TE's. I suspect that aspect is not lost on the coaching staff either. Granted it's a moot point until Green heals up the hammy.

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Opera singer and web developer.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
          We could be making a run at an undefeated season and NFL history if not for Royal.
          I'm glad we got that monkey off our back early. Nothing wrong with 18-1.
          Adipose

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
            They still need to find a way to involve Green (when healthy).

One of the reasons our running attack was so effective last year was because we had two TE's. I suspect that aspect is not lost on the coaching staff either. Granted it's a moot point until Green heals up the hammy.
            We do, there is no doubt about it. Just right now, the bigger issue is that we can't block anyone inside, so that has to get fixed first. A lot of our outside zone runs are being called, they just are getting blown up so fast, that they don't even look like outside runs. We have to stop the penetration inside to have any kind of running game. And going 2 TE isn't going to help that.

I do think a lot of the 3 WR thing is more about who we have played then anything else. Honey Badger was down for the Cards. Seattle was short a CB prior to the game. Bills were struggling to decide who the 2nd CB and nickle CB were, so they were ripe. Then we go against the jags, when we are short at TE due to injuries and they are short a CB. So, when you look at the matchups, we had good reason to go 11 personnel, even though Green is sadly underutlized.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              We do, there is no doubt about it. Just right now, the bigger issue is that we can't block anyone inside, so that has to get fixed first. A lot of our outside zone runs are being called, they just are getting blown up so fast, that they don't even look like outside runs. We have to stop the penetration inside to have any kind of running game. And going 2 TE isn't going to help that.

I do think a lot of the 3 WR thing is more about who we have played then anything else. Honey Badger was down for the Cards. Seattle was short a CB prior to the game. Bills were struggling to decide who the 2nd CB and nickle CB were, so they were ripe. Then we go against the jags, when we are short at TE due to injuries and they are short a CB. So, when you look at the matchups, we had good reason to go 11 personnel, even though Green is sadly underutlized.
              I would expect more of the same this week. The Jets secondary is banged up and very weak, while their D line is the teams' biggest strength. Spread them out and use ball control passing to move the chains. When they start to creep up, double move....Go deep...TD. Rinse and repeat.

Comment

• Centella
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                I know a lot of us were hard on him after what was almost a lazy performance in the opener against AZ.

Since then though....nails. Stay healthy.
                Gotta plead guilty, and gladly. Royal has been great since that terrible week one.

Comment

• Sec-E4
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2014
                  • Arizona
                  • Send PM

It looks exactly like the start of last season, Starting out with a Hotttt Eddie Royal.
                  The question is, Will he remain a HOTT part of the offense or will defenses pick him out ? Which should lead to others getting big plays.

Either way I wasn't on the bandwagon that was calling for his head. All I cared about was, That he wasn't going the way of Vincent Brown & Meachem "ALA" giving up on routes, Not even fighting the backfield for the ball

#Thechessmatchcontinues

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

I do think week one showed Reich how to use Eddie. He was running so many crossing routes vs. Arizona and then those magically disappeared the next 3 games. He's running a lot more vertical intermediate routes and WR screens. Unless I'm just going crazy and making shit up in my head, which is also entirely possible.

That out and up route (with Allen crossing over him) for the TD this past weekend was a thing of beauty. Can guarantee that will result in a big play for Allen when they run it again and he's running free underneath because the safety has to protect over the top.
                    Last edited by Beerman; 09-30-2014, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

If there's one thing I'm especially hopeful about, it's Reich adapting to the guys he's got so damn fast. Not used to seeing that from a Chargers OC.

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Opera singer and web developer.
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
                        It looks exactly like the start of last season, Starting out with a Hotttt Eddie Royal.
                        The question is, Will he remain a HOTT part of the offense or will defenses pick him out ? Which should lead to others getting big plays.

Either way I wasn't on the bandwagon that was calling for his head. All I cared about was, That he wasn't going the way of Vincent Brown & Meachem "ALA" giving up on routes, Not even fighting the backfield for the ball

#Thechessmatchcontinues
                        Brown never gave up on routes. He just ran the wrong route twice.
                        Adipose

Comment

• Sec-E4
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2014
                          • Arizona
                          • Send PM

Look back on post #56 on the other pages

Post #56

Comment

Working...
                          X