• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
    Who says teams can run straight up the gut on us? I certainly haven't seen it. It's been on the edges. The majority of yards coming on one play vs. Attaochu who didn't seal the edge. That and those damn QB's escaping.
    First off let me just say that I am happy with the players we got and our record. However I'll just say we'll agree to disagree on this subject here. Take the running aspect out of the equation ok and the D-line isn't getting pressure on the QB. I'm not talking about sacks either I'm talking about QB pressure which from what I have seen so far there hasn't been hardly any. I do believe if we didn't have good LB'ers our run defense would be a lot worse. I just feel that there is room for improvement on this team and I think people are getting complacent with this team and our record. You know something we'll probably be 6-1 or 5-2 going into the Denver game but I believe that KC will be our first true test. I've been a fan of this team since before I came out of my mothers womb and in the past I would have been ecstatic that the chargers have a 3-1 record without looking at the whole picture.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Huh? The Jags were barely able to run. We stuffed them on two short yardage 4th down plays. Their best rusher was Bortles and that was on broken plays.

Clearly we aren't the top run stuffing team, but Pags has been able to dial up plenty of run blitzes to prevent us from being gashed. It's worked because we finally have corners that can cover.

Plenty of us have said, CB and pass rush was the biggest need on this team. Plenty of others pointed to run defense. We ignored the run defense and bolstered the CB's and pass rush. I think it's worked so far since we are a top 5 scoring defense.

It's just part of the process. By design our offense will force teams to throw the ball on us. We had to improve that aspect of the defense to have success. This is how the coaches have drawn it up.
      Agree. Pas rush and corner were our biggest needs. Again, I would live to add another athletic DE to our rotation. All in due time

Comment

• chris9341
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Yuba if you are paying attention to this thread this is how you have a discussion. Now I disagree with Panama's and Beerman's assessment of the team but I respect there opinion on the matter obviously they have a different take on the defense then I do and you know what that's ok. I would rather be proven wrong then to be proven right and be a someone who says I told you so or say hey I was right all along.

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
          First off let me just say that I am happy with the players we got and our record. However I'll just say we'll agree to disagree on this subject here. Take the running aspect out of the equation ok and the D-line isn't getting pressure on the QB. I'm not talking about sacks either I'm talking about QB pressure which from what I have seen so far there hasn't been hardly any. I do believe if we didn't have good LB'ers our run defense would be a lot worse. I just feel that there is room for improvement on this team and I think people are getting complacent with this team and our record. You know something we'll probably be 6-1 or 5-2 going into the Denver game but I believe that KC will be our first true test. I've been a fan of this team since before I came out of my mothers womb and in the past I would have been ecstatic that the chargers have a 3-1 record without looking at the whole picture.
          I'm hopeful the return of Attaochu will bring back the pressure. Losing Ingram really hurt, he was putting it together.

That said, still light years better than last season.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I don't feel any complacency. It takes time to rework a roster that was heavy with dead wood, especially with the dead money and bad contracts we were saddles with. Personally, I see this as the start of 5 seasons with a chance to win it all. I think we will get better on paper and on the field. To be competitive while reworkin the roster is awesome. Are there holes....of course. Every team has them. Are the holes getting smaller? IMO yes. I believe the franchise is in good hands, mistakes will be made, but for the most part I like where they have focused our assets and also believe a solid plan is in place.

Comment

• Sec-E4
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2014
              • Arizona
              • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
              all I needed to know about team chemistry was displayed last summer with the softball team pictures that were on the internet.

This is a good group of guys. I hope they have great success.
              We're they all wearing Labcoats & holding beakers in the Team Softball pic ?

Comment

• chris9341
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

I'm hopeful the return of Attaochu will bring back the pressure. Losing Ingram really hurt, he was putting it together.

That said, still light years better than last season.
                Now Attouchu I believe is going to be a real good player for us so that is something that maybe we can agree on. Maybe I am baseing a lot of my opinion on last season and you are right they are light years ahead from last season I just feel that there is room for improvement.

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Opera singer and web developer.
                  • Send PM

the D-line isn't getting pressure on the QB. I'm not talking about sacks either I'm talking about QB pressure which from what I have seen so far there hasn't been hardly any.
                  Ah, I see, you've been watching the wrong team. We have been getting good pressure on the QB this season, which is one of the biggest differences between this season's defense and last season's defense.
                  Last edited by Panama; 10-01-2014, 02:19 AM.
                  Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Send PM

Yuba if you are paying attention to this thread this is how you have a discussion. Now I disagree with Panama's and Beerman's assessment of the team but I respect there opinion on the matter obviously they have a different take on the defense then I do and you know what that's ok. I would rather be proven wrong then to be proven right and be a someone who says I told you so or say hey I was right all along.
                    You're wasting your breath.

Yeah, I don't see what the big deal about disagreeing and even being wrong is. It's a discussion board. If all our opinion's were in line, that would be pretty boring. And if we were always right, we'd seldom learn anything. But there's no need to make the disagreements disrespectful or to discount someone else's opinion on its face just because one disagrees.
                    Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                      パナマ
                      • Aug 2013
                      • London
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
                      We're they all wearing Labcoats & holding beakers in the Team Softball pic ?
                      the-hostage-situation-550x365sdfdsfsdf.jpg
                      Adipose

Comment

• chris9341
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                        Ah, I see, you've been watching the wrong team. We have been getting good pressure on the QB this season, which is one of the biggest differences between this season's defense and last season's defense.
                        If you are talking about our outside LB'ers then yes you are correct. I just looked up a stat that I couldn't find on espn about QB hurries and it shows Dwight freeney leads the league in QB hurries with 9 so what that shows me is that he is getting up field but what I am talking about is getting pressure straight up the middle. Maybe we are watching two different teams or maybe one of us has blinders on and I don't think it's me.

Comment

• Panama
                          パナマ
                          • Aug 2013
                          • London
                          • Send PM

If you are talking about our outside LB'ers then yes you are correct. I just looked up a stat that I couldn't find on espn about QB hurries and it shows Dwight freeney leads the league in QB hurries with 9 so what that shows me is that he is getting up field but what I am talking about is getting pressure straight up the middle. Maybe we are watching two different teams or maybe one of us has blinders on and I don't think it's me.
                          We're not getting pressure from Lissemore or any NT, but I didn't expect that. They're mostly in on running downs anyway. We are, however, getting pressure from Reyes and, especially, Liuget. Also, before Ingram was hurt, on occasion he would slide inside and generate pressure there. I would, however, agree that the ILB blitzes up the middle have not been working at all.
                          Adipose

Comment

Working...
                          X