Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

Great post (especially noting all the players returning from injury). I think, to be fair, we need to acknowledge the players lost, but there aren't a lot of regrets in there:

Free agents signed by other teams: Philip Rivers (Colts), Melvin Gordon (Broncos), Travis Benjamin (49ers), Jatavis Brown (Eagles), Jaylen Watkins (Texans), Geremy Davis (Lions), Nick Dzubnar (Titans), Adrian Phillips (Patriots), Derek Watt (Steelers), Michael Schofield (Panthers), WR Dylan Cantrell (Cardinals, moving him to TE), Thomas Davis Sr. (Redskins)

Unsigned free agents: NT Brandon Mebane, RB Troymaine Pope, G Spencer Drango, TE Sean Culkin, TE Lance Kendricks

Traded Russell Okung
    You're right, the players that have moved on are part of the equation. Other than Rivers, the players on that list that had enough playing time to be m issed are Melvin Gordon, Adrian Phillips, Michael Schofield, and Russell Okung. I don't think we have anyone on the roster that can play OT better than Okung so I count him as a loss but I think we have suitable replacements for the others.

I wish we knew if our team even tried to keep any of those guys? Also, no doubt some of them wanted to change teams regardless.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Healthwise, Okung was too big of a risk for me.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
        Healthwise, Okung was too big of a risk for me.
        Health & cap hit.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Like this time of year like every year, we look pretty damn good on paper. Injuries are what always, always scuddle us.

Comment

• cmplxgal
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • New Jersey
            • Send PM

Always.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

You're right, the players that have moved on are part of the equation. Other than Rivers, the players on that list that had enough playing time to be m issed are Melvin Gordon, Adrian Phillips, Michael Schofield, and Russell Okung. I don't think we have anyone on the roster that can play OT better than Okung so I count him as a loss but I think we have suitable replacements for the others.

I wish we knew if our team even tried to keep any of those guys? Also, no doubt some of them wanted to change teams regardless.
              Why? It was obvious that all of the players in this group (except maybe Phillips) were either over the hill, injury risks, and/or wanted too much $$$.

Philip Rivers (Colts) - It was time to cut ties--Rivers was getting older, would have cost a bundle to keep, still with poor mobility, and most of us got tired of his hero ball antics
              Melvin Gordon (Broncos) - Let his team down with that silly holdout--glad he's gone...he's not as good as he thinks he is...
              Travis Benjamin (49ers) - Butterfingers Benji--nuff said...good riddance...
              Jatavis Brown (Eagles) - Bouncewhiffy Brown--all that promise, and just never panned out...not to mention his serious tackling issues...
              Jaylen Watkins (Texans) - Just a guy...easily replaceable...
              Geremy Davis (Lions) - Another guy...and we just upgraded at wideout, so no loss there at all...
              Nick Dzubnar (Titans) - Not a bad ST player, but, and this is a big but...he's so S - L - O - W . . . . .
              Adrian Phillips (Patriots) - He's the only player I would have liked to have kept, at least for depth...but hey, the Bolts like this Gilman kid, so we'll see...
              Derek Watt (Steelers) - Waste of a roster spot...why do I get the feeling the Bolts drafted his old Wisconsin buddy Watt just to help out Gordon out...and it STILL didn't help much...
              Michael Schofield (Panthers) Allowed too many hurries...not all that impressive...huge upgrade with Turner signed...
              Dylan Cantrell (Cardinals, moving him to TE) - Injury bust...maybe Cantrell gets new life with the Cards, but the Bolts couldn't afford to keep investing in another meh receiver with injury issues...
              Thomas Davis Sr. (Redskins) - Old Man Davis was running on fumes last year...Murray is an epic upgrade...
              Okung - Too many injury issues, and a costly player to keep...too risky to keep on roster...Bulaga is basically a fairly equal trade, though at RT...

So, in conclusion, the ONLY player worth keeping was Phillips, and he was able to ink a 2-year, $7.8 mil deal with the Cheatriots, a decent upgrade over his 2019 salary with the Bolts, $2 mil...so, can't blame Phillips for taking the money and running...

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Gordon was offered a contract before the holdout and he didn't play well when he rejoined the team. The '20 RBs look good without him.
                Okung was a solid starting LT in the past, when healthy. His health was not a good bet considering the cap investment & recent history.
                Schofield was expensive vet depth.
                I thought we'd sign Phillips. Shucks.
                They saved some money & acquired other vets, draft picks & coaches. I wish us luck!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

I remember alot of Cantrell hype last year. Watching him run a few NFL routes against NFL scrubs, i doubted he’d ever play WR on the team. He’s not fast, he’s not shifty, He has no first cut to get open early and no top speed to get open late. he won’t get open against pro DBs unless they aren’t bothering to cover him at all. Maybe he can bulk up to TE size, i wouldn’t bet on that either.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                    I remember alot of Cantrell hype last year. Watching him run a few NFL routes against NFL scrubs, i doubted he’d ever play WR on the team. He’s not fast, he’s not shifty, He has no first cut to get open early and no top speed to get open late. he won’t get open against pro DBs unless they aren’t bothering to cover him at all. Maybe he can bulk up to TE size, i wouldn’t bet on that either.
                    They already announced they intend to play him at TE.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                      Have ya had a chance to look at our UDFA Dalton Shoen?Whattya think?

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Re: Dylan Cantrell. So much hype here for a below average player. And he didn't light it up in training camp/preseason. And he got hurt all the time. Never quite understood all the love. But given that, can a 6th round pick really be a bust?

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Popper just went through all the different defensive backfield
                          personnel groupings we are likely to use
                          in Base 4-3, NICKEL and DIME.

The adage that you can never have too many quality DBs sure looks to hold true.

When opponents throw out extra WRs looking for mismatches,
                          we will match up nicely.

That is the winning edge for our defense.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X