• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
    And it should not have been a penalty. Smith was outside the pocket and Johnson led with his shoulder and hit him in the chest. Textbook!
    Love to lay that hit on Payton too. Wrap it up, that's the game.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

ReFo: Jets @ Chargers, Week 5
      Thomas Maney | October 6, 2014

Share by Email

2014-REFO-WK05-NYJ@SDIn the least competitive of Sunday’s games, the Jets were shutout for the first time since Week 4 of the 2012 season in San Diego as the Chargers cruised to a 31-0 victory and a 4-1 record. It was much of the same from their first four games with the Jets failing to find NFL-caliber quarterback play to keep their offense on the field, though that meant a lot of work for our highest-graded punter, Ryan Quigley, who didn’t disappoint. New York now sits at 1-4 and there’s not much reason to be optimistic with their next two games against Denver and New England.

Conversely, the Chargers looked like a top team in his one and are in great position in the AFC West with three straight division games coming up.

New York Jets – Performances of Note

Muhammad Wilkerson, DL: +5.4

Breakdown: He didn’t have much impact as a pass rusher, but outside of a 52 yard run, the Chargers averaged just 2.8 yards per carry on the ground, and Wilkerson was incredibly active in slowing down their attack. Each of his six tackles counted as a defensive stop as he made life difficult for the San Diego front, standing up blockers and plugging the point of attack.

Signature Play: 3Q, 8:55. Right guard Chris Watt had no chance on the reach block, as Wilkerson got inside to drop the rusher for a two yard loss.

Geno Smith, QB: -3.1

Breakdown: Went 4-of-9 on aimed passes with a 2.3 YPA, before being benched in favor of Michael Vick to start the second half. He didn’t make any glaringly bad plays – his interception late in the first half wasn’t egregious – but there just wasn’t much positive, as he misfired on a number of plays and failed to keep the Jet offense on the field.

Signature Stat: Smith didn’t attempt a pass at intermediate distance (10-19 yard) and all four of is completions came within 10 yards of or behind the line of scrimmage.

Chris Johnson, RB: -2.8

Breakdown: Didn’t gain anything above expected on his seven carries and coughed up the ball at his own 20 yard line to give the Chargers great field position early in the second quarter.

Signature Play: 2Q, 12:05. After a Phillip Rivers interception, Johnson immediately gave the ball right back, displaying poor ball security as he lost the ball on a tackle from behind.

San Diego Chargers – Performances of Note

Branden Oliver, RB: +2.4

Breakdown: Seeing his snap count doubled from Week 4, the undrafted free agent racked up 182 total yards on 24 touches, finding the end zone as both a rusher and receiver while forcing six missed tackles.

Signature Play: 2Q, 0.51. In his best Darren Sproles impression, Oliver made an impressive cut and burst through the line to give the Chargers a three-score lead heading into halftime.

Jason Verrett, CB:+1.7

Breakdown: San Diego’s first rounder slowed down after a blistering start to the season, but played well in this game, picking up a tackle for short gain in run defense, while getting his hand on a ball for a pass defense in coverage. He allowed a completion on just 2-of-6 targets for 14 yards, though was out of position and benefited from a poor throw on one of those.

Signature Stat: After lining up almost exclusively at LCB in his last two games, Verrett moved around against the Jets, seeing roughly equal time at the left and right outside corner spots.

King Dunlap, LT: -4.6

Breakdown: One of the many Charger o-lineman to struggle in the run game, Dunlap had a rough time against one of the league’s best defensive fronts, whether it was being shed for the tackle or stood up at the point of attack to force the running back elsewhere.

Signature Play: 1Q, 5:11. Whiffed on Calvin Pace at the line, but was bailed out as Donald Brown displayed an impressive stiff arm to avoid the tackle for loss and got outside to pick up 13 yards on the play.

PFF Game Ball

This one goes to Antonio Gates his 60 yards and two touchdown catches, as he remains a reliable target for Phillip Rivers.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
        Play of the game.

JJ just leveling Gino with that shoulder to the chest. I'm surprised Gino didn't get whiplash from the way his head snapped forward and back. But Gino was done after that hit.
        I wish it was Vick.
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
          I wish it was Vick.
          Flowers did have a good run on when he hit Vick. Telling that the Chargers had the Jets covered so well that they could send a DB to spy on Vick more than occasionally.

Comment

• TTK
            EX-Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • America's Finest City
            • Send PM

Vick took some big shots yesterday. That was enjoyable to watch. #dogkiller

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Geno: "I counted down instead of up" when it came to calculating East Coast vs West Coast time.

This is such a bad excuse. If his excuse was that he went to the movies and thats why he missed the meeting, he knew the time.

You dont just go to the movies and not know what time the movie starts. Its right there on the board when you choose your movie.
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

I'm hoping Vick starts next week versus Denver. Gino couldn't beat a college team right now.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• sandiego17
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                  Geno: "I counted down instead of up" when it came to calculating East Coast vs West Coast time.
                  Ahh, the 'I'm an idiot' defense. The fact that he would admit this, even if its true just adds to the whole thing.

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                    Ahh, the 'I'm an idiot' defense. The fact that he would admit this, even if its true just adds to the whole thing.
                    And they expect him to read NFL defenses.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                      And they expect him to read NFL defenses.
                      Yeah, when he can 't read the time on his phone.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

All phones change with the time zone. Silly excuse. Man up, lying just seems stupid.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                          Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Palm Springs
                          • I know nothing
                          • Send PM

Jets stay on eastern time no matter where they play.... That's really stupid in the days of cell phones.
                          I can understand confusion on earlier or later by 3 hours. I have to think about it by where the sun comes up so that it is earlier in the east.... My wife can't tell compass directions so my method doesn't work for her...Of course she doesn't give a shit when the Jets have a meeting.

Comment

Working...
                          X