• Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Brady and Pats to part ways?

Tension may impact Brady's future
    Updated: October 5, 2014, 1:31 PM ET
    By Chris Mortensen | ESPN

Brady Uncomfortable With Patriots' Changes
    Chris Mortensen discusses the tension between Tom Brady and the Patriots' coaching staff, which may influence whether Brady finishes his career in New England.
    Tags: NFL, Tom Brady, New England Patriots

Tension exists between Tom Brady and the New England Patriots' coaching staff, and multiple sources told ESPN that they believe it could influence whether the quarterback finishes his career with the team that he has led to three Super Bowl titles.

Two sources told ESPN that former rookie quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo was drafted as Brady's successor and the move could happen "sooner than later." No source suggested that "sooner" would mean a change during the 2014 season.

Much of Brady's frustration relates to the downsizing of the Patriots offense that stems from questionable personnel decisions and the retirement of longtime line coach Dante Scarnecchia after the 2013 season, the sources told ESPN.

With Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins being traded before the season, the line now coached by Dave DeGuglielmo is so inexperienced that Brady's input into game plans, personnel groups and pre-snap adjustments has significantly diminished.

One team source told ESPN that a conservative approach is necessary and said everyone needs to be patient to allow the team and staff to get on the same page. Brady's declining performance also has been cited internally, a source told ESPN.

Nevertheless, the circumstances have affected Brady's confidence and performance, sources told ESPN, and the Patriots have had little success providing the talent needed to execute the team's previous approach -- a complex scheme that can change dramatically on a weekly basis.

The team's draft history also is under fire. The Patriots have used 11 draft picks on receivers since 2002 and only two -- Deion Branch and former college quarterback Julian Edelman -- have made any impact. The signing of Danny Amendola as a slot-receiver replacement for Wes Welker has proven to be a failure, too.

Even though Patriots coach Bill Belichick chuckled when asked Monday night about Brady's status, more than one source told ESPN that "nobody is untouchable."

Brady has stated publicly he wants to play another four or five years, at least. Sources close to the quarterback told ESPN that remains true but acknowledge that his career may end with another franchise unless Patriots owner Robert Kraft intercedes.
    If the Pats could get a high pick for Brady, I think they'd take it. The club is not good right now and it may be time for them to start rebuilding. And the Pats have never shown any love for their players. Its all about the team going forward.

And what team has everything but a QB that could potentially take them to the SB?
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
    And what team has everything but a QB that could potentially take them to the SB?
    First two teams that came to mind were Buffalo and Miami, but you know that will never happen. Houston also fits the Bill. Minnesota is probably the only NFC team that qualifies.
    Adipose

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

San Francisco?
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Send PM

San Francisco?
        Despite what we may think, every indication is that SF is happy with Kaepernick.
        Adipose

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

I have a friend who is a SF fan. he told me in preseason that SF fans think Cap should be benched.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• thelightningwill
            Go Aztecs and Pads
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

O'line isn't perfect anymore, and Tom Brady can't handle it. Sounds like a leader to me.

Too bad we have that asshole Philip Rivers who weathered two badly-coached passing systems, and seems to play well behind a flawed offensive line. That jackass doesn't even whine about his team. He'll never be a leader like Brady. Could you imagine what Brady would have done under Marty and Norv? With Gaither and Clary blocking at the tackle spots?
            Last edited by thelightningwill; 10-05-2014, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
              O'line isn't perfect anymore, and Tom Brady can't handle it. Sounds like a leader to me.

Too bad we have that asshole Philip Rivers who weathered two badly-coached passing systems, and seems to play well behind a flawed offensive line. That jackass doesn't even whine about his team. He'll never be a leader like Brady. Could you imagine what Brady would have done under Marty and Norv? With Gaither and Clary blocking at the tackle spots?
              Gotta love brady's "it's not my fault we're not scoring enough points, it's a team sport."
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• KarlC
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Would any team give up the farm in draft picks and pay Brady's salary?

I'm honestly curious.

SD guy in OZ

Comment

• thelightningwill
                  Go Aztecs and Pads
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Gotta love brady's "it's not my fault we're not scoring enough points, it's a team sport."
                  Also not his doing when the Patriots won the 3 Super Bowl championships. I think we can now flush the "rings" argument down the Trainspotting water closet when it comes to who the best quarterback is.
                  Last edited by thelightningwill; 10-05-2014, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by KarlC View Post
                    Would any team give up the farm in draft picks and pay Brady's salary?

I'm honestly curious.
                    It's the sort of thing the Raiders might do.
                    Adipose

Comment

• KarlC
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                      It's the sort of thing the Raiders might do.
                      Any team that Brady would actually go to?

SD guy in OZ

Comment

• SFW
                        PB Official Game Thread Starter
                        • Jul 2013
                        • NY
                        • USMC
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post

These are strong feelings to condemn Brady when there is no quote or anything to the media about Brady complaining or throwing any teammate or coach under the bus. As fans if we believed every speculative article based on "sources" are heads would be spinning. Lets have a little more patience to see if any of this is actually comes true or is true.
                        1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                        2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                        3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                        4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                        5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                        6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                        7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

Working...
                        X