• Show
Clear All
  • Buck
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Some Random Stats (Stats? I don't even know) Week 5

The Chargers currently lead the league in:

- The entire standings of the entire NFL. Yes, we are one of three 4-1 teams, but we're the only one undefeated in Conference play. Therefore we are technically the #1 overall seed as of now.

- Point Differential. San Diego is +70. The next closest is Indianapolis at +48, then Baltimore at +36. Of teams who already had a bye, Denver leads with +29, and Seattle who has yet to play this week is +17.

- Win Streak. The Chargers are tied with Dallas with the longest win streak of the season thus far with 4. Both teams lost week 1 and are now tied for best record in the league at 4-1 with Philadelphia.

- Conference Record. No other team is 3-0 against their AFC (yet). Carolina at 3-2 is 3-0 against the NFC as well. There are a few 2-0 teams (Denver, Arizona, Houston, and Seattle [1-0 pre mnf game vs Redskins]) as well.

- Points against. Probably the most amazing stat. The Chargers have played 5 games. Seattle has played 3 (as of time of me writing this). Chargers are #1 in the league with 63 Points against. Seattle is 2nd through 3 games at 66. After tonight, barring a Seattle drubbing, Cincinnati will be 2nd with 76 points. Of teams who have played 5 games, Detroit is 2nd with 79. We are 16 better.

- Giveaway/Takeaway Differential. 1st tied with 3 other teams at +6.

- Defense 4th Down PCT allowed. #1 by a mile. Teams are 0-6 against us. 7 other teams have an 0 for so far, but the most any of them has faced is 2.

- Kicking. Tied for first at 100%.

Other Rankings:

- Points for. We are 6th with 133. Just for comparisons sake.

- Rush yards. #25 in the league with 440. Suck it #32.

- Pass yards. #4 with 1406. Indianapolis is #1 with 1609. Total yards we are #7 with 1846. New Orleans is #1 with 2214.

- 3rd Down PCT. 3rd with 53.2%. Dallas is 1st with 55.6%

- Defensive 3rd Down PCT allowed. 13th with 41%. Not bad. Buffalo is #1 with 31.8%

- Defensive Penalty Yards. 24th with 312. Bad.

- Offensive Penalty Yards. 17th with 253. Average.

- Sacks. 5th with 12. Buffalo and Jets have 17 a piece.

- Offensive Giveaways. 3rd with 2. Cleveland and Seattle have 1 a piece thus far.

- Interceptions. 17th with 3. Giants have 8.

- Fumble recoveries. 3rd tied with 5 other teams. Atlanta and houston have 7.

- Receiving TDs. 2nd tied with 3 others at 12. Indy has 14.

- Punts. 22nd with 23 punts so far. Seattle has 12. A team that has played more than 3 games, St. Louis, has 13.

- Punts landed inside the 20. Tied for first with Buffalo with 12. SD 12/23 punts. Buf 12/31 punts.

- Total Defense Yards Per Game. 3rd with 290.8. Detroit is 282.4 We are one of 3 teams under 300 a game. Pass Yards/G 2nd with 194.8, Rush Yards/G 10th with 96.

Cheers. Now...it's Raiders week.
    Last edited by Buck; 10-06-2014, 05:03 PM.
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Buck View Post

- The entire standings of the entire NFL. Yes, we are one of three 4-1 teams, but we're the only one undefeated in Conference play. Therefore we are technically the #1 overall seed as of now.

- Point Differential. San Diego is +70. The next closest is Indianapolis at +48, then Baltimore at +36. Of teams who already had a bye, Denver leads with +29, and Seattle who has yet to play this week is +17.

- Win Streak. The Chargers are tied with Dallas with the longest win streak of the season thus far with 4. Both teams lost week 1 and are now tied for best record in the league at 4-1 with Philadelphia.

- Conference Record. No other team is 3-0 against their AFC (yet). Carolina at 3-2 is 3-0 against the NFC as well. There are a few 2-0 teams (Denver, Arizona, Houston, and Seattle [1-0 pre mnf game vs Redskins]) as well.

- Points against. Probably the most amazing stat. The Chargers have played 5 games. Seattle has played 3 (as of time of me writing this). Chargers are #1 in the league with 63 Points against. Seattle is 2nd through 3 games at 66. After tonight, barring a Seattle drubbing, Cincinnati will be 2nd with 76 points. Of teams who have played 5 games, Detroit is 2nd with 79. We are 16 better.

- Defense 4th Down PCT allowed. #1 by a mile. Teams are 0-6 against us. 7 other teams have an 0 for so far, but the most any of them has faced is 2.

Other Rankings:

- Pass yards. #4 with 1406. Indianapolis is #1 with 1609. Total yards we are #7 with 1846. New Orleans is #1 with 2214.

- Defensive 3rd Down PCT allowed. 13th with 41%. Not bad. Buffalo is #1 with 31.8%

- Offensive Giveaways. 3rd with 2. Cleveland and Seattle have 1 a piece thus far.

- Punts. 22nd with 23 punts so far. Seattle has 12. A team that has played more than 3 games, St. Louis, has 13.

- Punts landed inside the 20. Tied for first with Buffalo with 12. SD 12/23 punts. Buf 12/31 punts.

- Total Defense Yards Per Game. 3rd with 290.8. Detroit is 282.4 We are one of 3 teams under 300 a game. Pass Yards/G 2nd with 194.8, Rush Yards/G 10th with 96.

The most important stat of all is points allowed and the point differential.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Buck View Post

Too early to even think about this one.

The only thing I was thinking about this is how last year, almost all of our games were so close. This really does show that at least in some sense, we are making progress.

This one means the most. Get some momentum, and get any win you can. You always think that winning the division comes down to head to head, but if you split, then have a couple of games you want back, those end up being the ones that make a difference. But overall record is the primary way to get to the playoffs, so just winning is most important.

Nice, but unnecessary if we win enough games to avoid the tie breakers.

Again, nice, but just win.

Not getting a lot of turnovers, but when you don't turn it over, the ratio gets big fast.

This one usually doesn't mean anything, but I think it does. Usually there is a mix of late game, holding a big lead and let the other guy convert a couple of meaningless 4th qtr 4 down territory ones, but we haven't even allowed that. Plus a couple of big ones along the way, especially vs the Jags.

At least we aren't the Lions. Only converted 1/3 of their FG attempts so far.

Other Rankings:

We probably could have scored more, but MM is a big fan of murderiung the clock at the end of the game. Given how many teams have not been able to protect leads, I would say it has been working pretty well.

I think the running game will be fine. We won't be at the top of the league, but that probably wasn't in the cards anyway. If you get too good on the ground, teams will make you throw, and Rivers isn't going to pass up any easy yards/points.

Again, see murdering the clock above.

For all practical purposes, we are at the top of the league, since teams don't have the same number of attempts or conversions. No idea why the hell they bother to show the decimal point.

We jumped about 10% this week. It is at a healthier percent now, although if you look at the whole list, teams are allowing a lot more 3rd down conversion then in the past. A couple years ago we allowed just under 50% and that was historically bad, but now there are a lot of teams in the 48, 49, 50%, so all of them could be that bad this year.

Can't have a bad ratio if you don't turn it over very often. I think the D will get better too, now that their confidence and attention to detail is improving.

Add in the ones guys have dropped, or could have had (like the one that hit Gilchrist that he almost got the PI call on), we would be competitive. Not that we are going to get all of them, just that our secondary is going to get their share as the season goes on. The important thing is to keep the ratio going our way.

They have done a good job of stripping and getting on the ball.

Always a good one, but a strong running game might hurt it.

Defensive punts is partly a function of TOP and partly due to the turnovers and 4th downs. All of them together mean we don't get to return as many punts. But together they are all good things because teams aren't scoring and we still get the ball back. Scfries is not having his best season, but it is still better then anyone else. How about his kick vs the Jets when he finally got to kick it all out late in the game? Huge hang time.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
        Why is that? I am really not trying to be a smartass or anything, just since you only need to win by 1, it seems pretty meaningless?

Comment

But YPC and post #56 are the most important things in our known universe, so the rest of this is just unnecessary.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Can we get a PowderBlurs.com T-shirt with YPC on the front and Post #56 on the back? You could use them as promo's...
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• homeless simpson
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Why is that? I am really not trying to be a smartass or anything, just since you only need to win by 1, it seems pretty meaningless?
              I think it just means games aren't close re: we controlled the game, and we're scoring points while not allowing much. if your point differential is close then that just makes it seem like you can't always put the other team away or you're in a bunch of close games re: good not great

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

The concept of controlling the game is an interesting item to explore. IMO we contoled the game best vs the Jets, Seattle, and to a slightly lesser extent Jags and Bills. Vs AZ we lost the second half the specialty the 4th quarter but were one snap away... The theme I'm seeing is dictating our game plan and its like watching good teams we nirmaly root against.

Last year we are taken for granted logo:
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• chris9341
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Not trying to be a smart ass back to you but are you telling me that you would be happy with a 1 point win in all of our games? If you only win by one point it just shows that either the offense wasn't dominant or the defense wasn't that great. You may like to see close games I don't know but for me I hate seeing one point victories.

Comment

Not trying to be a smart ass back to you but are you telling me that you would be happy with a 1 point win in all of our games? If you only win by one point it just shows that either the offense wasn't dominant or the defense wasn't that great. You may like to see close games I don't know but for me I hate seeing one point victories.
                    IMO, you'd always like to beat the shit out of your opponent (like we did this week! Hell YEAH) but even a 1
                    point win is a win. Just ask the Cardinals right about now.

Comment

• chris9341
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                      IMO, you'd always like to beat the shit out of your opponent (like we did this week! Hetll YEAH) but even a 1
                      point win is a win. Just ask the Cardinals right about now.
                      yes a one point win is a win and don't get me wrong im happy to take that one point win but like I said if you are only winning the game by 1 point or to be fair 5 or less then that just means you are not a dominant team. Just like the Cardinals game. They dominated us when it mattered most the 4th quarter.

Comment

yes a one point win is a win and don't get me wrong im happy to take that one point win but like I said if you are only winning the game by 1 point or to be fair 5 or less then that just means you are not a dominant team. Just like the Cardinals game. They dominated us when it mattered most the 4th quarter.
                        Maybe I need to read the whole thread before I respond. What's the issue here? We've won by a lot more than one point in our games...

Comment

Working...
                        X