• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

ESPN: Started his career at the Naval Academy, but transferred to Notre Dame after the Defense Department changed some of the rules about service time after graduation. He played two seasons for the Irish. Gilman is aggressive to the ball -- as his six forced fumbles over the last two seasons attest -- but he does need to better finish the plays he diagnoses. He has shown he can match up with tight ends in the middle of the field in man-to-man situations, but he will have to be more consistent with his assignments to stay on the field. Should contribute on special teams immediately. -- Jeff Legwold

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

We have 4 safeties: Derwin, Jenkins, Nassir, and Teamer. Bradley likes to run a lot of 3 safety sets so I wouldn't be surprised if he plays heavily. Not to mention as as 6th round pick, he'll probably be a ST. I suspect he'll replace Teamer.
      Any chance Adderly tries out at CB? He played at corner in college.

The team needed a CB and they didn't address it. The safety room is crowded.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Any chance Adderly tries out at CB? He played at corner in college.

The team needed a CB and they didn't address it. The safety room is crowded.
        Lynn mentioned something earlier in the offseason about Adderley when asked about moving him to corner:
        “I haven’t seen him play corner, but I tell you, he is a good athlete,” Lynn said. “I wouldn’t bet against the young man. But we just need to get him on the field. I believe when he gets on the field, things will work itself out. But we got to get him on the field, and I believe he’s healthy right now. Looking forward to getting a healthy guy out there, because I believe he can play. That’s why we took him in the second round last year,” Lynn said.

I believe Popper also mentioned something in one of his Q&A. Personally, I think if he's healthy, he should take over the FS from Jenkins.

image.png

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
          I really don't get this pick -
          1. We don't need a Safety
          2. He's known to take poor angles
          3. He whiffs a lot
          4. Did mention we don't need a Safety?
          The tackling thing can be fixed. Besides, everyone on D needs to work more on tackling.

We need more S than we have, unless we are only going to stay in our base D, which we won't. Plus, we need some ST guys. I love the pick.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Lynn mentioned something earlier in the offseason about Adderley when asked about moving him to corner:

I believe Popper also mentioned something in one of his Q&A. Personally, I think if he's healthy, he should take over the FS from Jenkins.

image.png
            The CB thing is a non-denial denial. He didn't say yes or no, so you can read what you want out of it. There was a reason Delaware moved him from CB to S. His natural position is FS.

Popper can say what he wants, but just going off the quote, I think Jenkins is going to have to win the starting job again. You might notice that Lynn didn't say anything about that either.

Jenkins probably will win the job, but I think Adderley will push him some. Jenkins coverage skills are a lot better than most give him credit for. His tackling is every bit as bad as people say. PFF counted it as 11 misses and 37 tackles. Not a good ratio for the deep S who is the last man between the offense and the goalline.

We could also use a player like Adderley as a second FS, playing more 2 deep looks. We use James like that a little bit, but he is so much more valuable up close to the line. Adderley and Jenkins would make throwing the ball deep against us pretty dangerous. And that would allow us to move James around even more, but with 4 other DB (James as the matchup guy, Adderley and Jenkins deep), Harris King, Murray and Hayward would be a tough group to throw against. And a 5 under zone look tougher still, since Murray has the wheels to make the Mike LB taking away the deep seam between the S.

That being said, at some point, I wouldn't be surprised if they did give Adderley a look at CB, but that strikes me as more of an in season thing. They will want to give him more of a shot at FS.

As far as UDFA, teams do find zone CB as UDFA. You just have zero chance of finding anyone who can cover and is fast enough to play press man as an UDFA.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The tackling thing can be fixed. Besides, everyone on D needs to work more on tackling.

We need more S than we have, unless we are only going to stay in our base D, which we won't. Plus, we need some ST guys. I love the pick.
              Steve, if a guy gets his age they have had several coaches and still don't tackle well, I'm thinking they never will. Most of us learned to wrap up while we were still kids.

I agree we need some ST guys but we want them to tackle well too.

I hope you turn out to be right about this young man.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Steve, if a guy gets his age they have had several coaches and still don't tackle well, I'm thinking they never will. Most of us learned to wrap up while we were still kids.

He;s the designated Ball Stripper! Twice a year against Gordon! LOL!
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Rambler
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • No Cal
                  • Civil Research Attorney
                  • Send PM

From https://www.profootballnetwork.com/d...-blog-pauline/
                  Where might Alohi Gilman land?

I would expect Notre Dame safety Alohi Gilman to come off the board by the middle of round five. While Gilman did not run well at the combine (4.61 seconds), he had some of the best short shuttle (4.08 seconds) and three-cone (6.81 seconds) marks at his position in Indianapolis.

Gilman impressed scouts when he lined up at corner for two days of Senior Bowl practice, and with more and more teams lining up three safeties, it’s important to have one who makes plays when the ball is in the air.

He is receiving interest from the New England Patriots, Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys and Carolina Panthers.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Again, you can have your opinion, but I have seen it in action with many levels of football (pee wee, intermediate levels, HS, semi-pro football teams, and college, plus anecdotally with Seattle). Give them some time off, or early in the season, they can't tackle anything. Work on it every day, they get better. Again, I have never been part of an NFL team, but when Seattle was winning SB, their players talked at length about how working on it every day makes a difference.

If it wasn't that way, why wouldn't older NFL players just be given time off of practice? Players need to work on fundamentals all the time. It is the foundation of playing football. You don't put a house on a shitty foundation, it slides. fundamentals are the foundation of playing a sport. Like hitting a baseball ... taking fielding practice … on the driving range … ground strokes in tennis .. if ti s basic foundational skill then you work at it.

Also, why is it that the Vikings are better than anyone else in football right now? What do they do that no one else does?

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Vikings? Did I miss a SB?

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

They are the best tackling team in football (according to PFF) by a large margin.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery