• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

How were we down 2 position players in tbis draft again?
    QB for the future, lost our 3rd. We only got 5 position players not 7.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

QB for the future, lost our 3rd. We only got 5 position players not 7.
      We got 6 players not 7.U have no idea right now when Herbert plays.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/20...0-nfl-draft/2/

Interesting...

Even after the additions of Bryan Bulaga and Trai Turner, drafting an offensive lineman was seen as a priority. However, the Chargers came away empty handed. Am I surprised? Not at all.

One of the bold predictions that made before the draft was that Los Angeles wasn’t going to select a single lineman. The main reason I believe that they held off was because of new offensive line coach James Campen.

During his time with the Packers, Campen turned a slew of mid-late round projects into Pro Bowl and All-Pro selections. This could lead to the possibility of them banking on his coaching to develop Trey Pipkins, Storm Norton, Forrest Lamp, Scott Quessenberry and Trent Scott.

There are some that are still wondering if the Bolts could dip into the free agency pool, but general manager Tom Telesco appears to be content with his in-house options.

Telesco reiterated that they like the options they have on the roster. He also said that the offense will be changing a little bit this season. By this, he means the scheme will revolve around a mobile quarterback, which would mask with pass or run-blocking deficiencies.

Nonetheless, let’s not disregard the idea of them still looking to sign a free agent like veteran Jason Peters. It’s still a possibility.
        Not that im disagreeing but who runs Chargerwire? If its a fanbase like this is here then of course we will see the same ol things lol.

I also think it would have been nice to get another LT but Lynn seems to like the guys they have with the scheme they plan to run with the QBs they have. Do not expect to see the offense be ANYTHING like it was with Rivers at QB..... Which will have an influance in OL play.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

We got 6 players not 7.U have no idea right now when Herbert plays.
          And who says a rookie OL starts anyways? All these guys, they got to earn their spots.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Not that im disagreeing but who runs Chargerwire? If its a fanbase like this is here then of course we will see the same ol things lol.

I also think it would have been nice to get another LT but Lynn seems to like the guys they have with the scheme they plan to run with the QBs they have. Do not expect to see the offense be ANYTHING like it was with Rivers at QB..... Which will have a influance in OL play.
            I agree. The Rivers offense is dead and buried.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

And who says a rookie OL starts anyways? All these guys, they got to earn their spots.
              We have a good mix of vets and youth. Biggest improvement will likely be coaching and going zone block . This coach has a great track record of developing olinemen.

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                TT’s been drafting fatties heavy the past few drafts. Plus he just dropped $$$$ on two top trenchers and traded for another. And he paid even more $$$$ in the last few years for FA fatties. An all skill guy draft was due, and perfect timing for it (Hill in the 7th?? WTF?!).
                agree with all of that....

the right side of our OL are former pro bowlers
                we signed a former pro bowl run stuffing DT

OL who are not drafted top 5 or 10 usually take some time to develop and more so with so many college teams using non pro style systems..... and hopefully with new/better coaching some of those guys who have not looked great so far, will take the next step?

This also was a very skill position type of draft and the Chargers desperately needed an infusion of more speed, skill, and explosiveness at the skill positions.... . Multiple good QB's, Many very good RB's, many great WR's, and Many good DB's..... along with some great OT's at top of draft..... Chargers needed more speed and more skills at the skill positions and TT used this draft to do that along with trading up for the best all round full time LBer Chargers have had since Seau.....

games are not played on paper, but on paper this team got alot better.... our offense will ultimately be faster and more explosive, at QB, RB, WR, TE...OL should also be better and more consistent.... and our defense got alot better too with the new FA's and draft choices ..... especially if previous draft choices like Jones, Tillerly, and Adderly take the next step....

If there is a season this fall, it should be an interesting one......

Comment

• Silversurfer
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Los Angeles
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

We still have a first rounder from last year that hasn't shown up yet and we still have o lineman from previous drafts that haven't shown up yet.
                  They are on that 5 year developmental program.

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I agree. The Rivers offense is dead and buried.
                    that is likely true, which makes sense...... a smart coach will choose a system that fits the personnel he has....... vs Turner would make the personnel fit into his scheme.....

NFL Network was saying that Lynn told them that Chargers would play more of a scheme like Hebert played in college rather than straight pro style.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/20...0-nfl-draft/2/

Interesting...

Even after the additions of Bryan Bulaga and Trai Turner, drafting an offensive lineman was seen as a priority. However, the Chargers came away empty handed. Am I surprised? Not at all.

One of the bold predictions that made before the draft was that Los Angeles wasn’t going to select a single lineman. The main reason I believe that they held off was because of new offensive line coach James Campen.

During his time with the Packers, Campen turned a slew of mid-late round projects into Pro Bowl and All-Pro selections. This could lead to the possibility of them banking on his coaching to develop Trey Pipkins, Storm Norton, Forrest Lamp, Scott Quessenberry and Trent Scott.

There are some that are still wondering if the Bolts could dip into the free agency pool, but general manager Tom Telesco appears to be content with his in-house options.

Telesco reiterated that they like the options they have on the roster. He also said that the offense will be changing a little bit this season. By this, he means the scheme will revolve around a mobile quarterback, which would mask with pass or run-blocking deficiencies.

Nonetheless, let’s not disregard the idea of them still looking to sign a free agent like veteran Jason Peters. It’s still a possibility.
                      Telesco says a lot of things. But it's always half truths and downright lies because that's what a GM has to do. It's poker face 24/7 it seems. TT's main advantage over AJ Smith currently is that he doesn't let his emotions show publicly. I appreciate that he avoids those sly remarks to the media. Now he just needs to get more of those draft picks to contribute. Part of that is Lynn's responsibility.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Ontario , Canada
                        • Send PM

Telesco's record w the OL is patchy at best. They had a decent OL for a few years w Russell Okung but they never had draft picks or any depth behind him so when he was hurt last year it was a fiasco. Last year at this time we were going into the season w UDFA scrub Trent Scott as our LT and praying it would be ok. This year in is div2 3rd rnd pick project Trey Pipkins and we are praying it will be a different result.

Maybe the new offense doesn't require pass blocking and we will be ok or this new coach can get Pipkins to play at a high level in his 1st yr as a starter.

I can't figure out what the reward is for taking so much risk w the OL each year.

Would it kill them to sign Jason Peters for $8M or whatever it takes just to add a little stability?

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
                          Telesco's record w the OL is patchy at best.
                          Or is it the coaching staff that never developed the players? I kind of wonder.

Comment

Working...
                          X