Clear All
  • MakoShark
    Disgruntled
    • Jun 2013
    • North Alabama
    • Send PM

So, any of you guys motor heads?

It's the bye week.

I have a old Vette I'm building. Getting pretty close to having it ready for the dyno. Any of you guys do any hot-rodding? Its So-Cal so I figured there's gotta 1 or 2 of ya that's got a cool old car you'd like to talk about.
    sigpic
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

My baby, 57 stepside.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• MakoShark
      Disgruntled
      • Jun 2013
      • North Alabama
      • Send PM

Very nice Hoarse! I didn't know they made bikes like that back in 57! J/k...that pickup looks like a really good specimen. All original? California car so the rust is minimal? Here's my Vette. I'm doing a LS swap. The engine is from a 2000 Vette and is heavily modified. I'm hoping for at least 450 horses on the dyno.

DSCN1846.jpg

DSCN1849.jpg
      sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

That's a lotta Hoarses!
        Looks way beyond my old school backyard mechanical abilities.

Yeah, the 57 has the original 3 on the tree setup, with the floor starter and rear end, except I swapped out the pumpkin for freeway gears.
        Original straight 6 235 engine. Plenty of torque without the gas hog 350.
        sigpic

Comment

• MakoShark
          Disgruntled
          • Jun 2013
          • North Alabama
          • Send PM

There is a ton of hot-rodding potential in that 57, if you ever decide to go that way. OMG, the possibilities would have me drooling. Its hard to find old pickups in such good shape because of the intended use of such a vehicle, but yours looks like its in excellent shape. And, you'd be surprised at how well an LS V8 does on gas mileage. With all the horsepower I expect, I still expect close to 20mpg and that's without an over-drive gear. Of course I will be burning Premium though.

Here's the details of my 77. I'm over 2 years into this build, it was a complete body off restoration.

LS1 with LS6 heads and intake. Texas Speed and Performance Magic Stick 4 cam, Double roller timing set, 1 3/4 inch Sanderson Headers, 3:55 posi rear end. Vette Brakes and Products "Rack Attack" steering (power rack and pinion), Global West offset trailing arms for fatter rubber, hydraulic clutch, VB&P spring and bushing upgrades, stiffened frame per Chevy Power spec's, frame painted to match interior, Fiero seats with red leather covers from Mr Mike and seat heaters. Removable rear window. Paint job by Anthony Wells and Larry Winkle.
          sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

I prefer the simpler original equipt. My truck runs forever without much maintenance. I have thought about rat rodding it, but I really like the way it is already. I've had many projects over the years but my 64 Bug was stolen in 91 after a ground up resto, and it kind of took me out of it for quite a while. I used to build Karmann Ghias and Microbuses as a hobby. now my daughter's old 67 Mustang is sitting in the driveway waiting for someone with more time and energy. I do enjoy the car shows though.
            If you get offers for magazine shoots, be careful to check they are legit.
            sigpic

Comment

• MakoShark
              Disgruntled
              • Jun 2013
              • North Alabama
              • Send PM

I'm not going to accept any photo shoot offers at all and I really won't show the car in the formal sense. This car is for driving, for my personal enjoyment. Its not a trailer queen. I like to go to "cruise ins" and that may be as close as it gets to being in a show. I probably won't join any of the local clubs either, even though I know a lot of the guys in them. This is my car, built my way for my enjoyment. I don't need a club or show trophies to validate all my effort.
              sigpic

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Yeah, I am.

Time to Ace dis Spades.

Comment

• KarlC
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Wish I knew machines like you guys. Most I've ever done is changing a battery on a car or changing a pull-cord on a lawn mower.

SD guy in OZ

Comment

• floydefisher
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • siberiacuse, ny
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                    I prefer the simpler original equipt. My truck runs forever without much maintenance. I have thought about rat rodding it, but I really like the way it is already. I've had many projects over the years but my 64 Bug was stolen in 91 after a ground up resto, and it kind of took me out of it for quite a while. I used to build Karmann Ghias and Microbuses as a hobby. now my daughter's old 67 Mustang is sitting in the driveway waiting for someone with more time and energy. I do enjoy the car shows though.
                    If you get offers for magazine shoots, be careful to check they are legit.
                    Have you ever been to the Syracuse Nationals?
                    sigpic

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

I know dick about cars, but my uncles have a collection of Kaiser Darrins that win prizes and pop up in magazines every once in a while.

car.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X