• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
    If you have to pick one...Vikings or GOT? Are they copies?

I can maybe do one of them. but not both. So who do you prefer?
    I'm just getting into the GoT, but been with Vikings almost from the start. From what I've seen so far, I like Vikings better, as the story is easier to follow. With GoT, there are about 5+ different plot lines and I think about 25 starring actors. However, if shock and disgust, as well as naked bodies are your thing, GoT seems to be the ticket.

Vikings is on the History channel, so it is based on some history, although the lead character may be just a legend. GoT is total fantasy.
    Last edited by Bolt-O; 05-06-2016, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Thank you. Did not know that about the Vikings show. I have limited cable channels. I love history stuff though. Vikings it is.
      For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Screeme
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by KarlC View Post
        Game of Thrones SPOILERS.

So, it was just a despotic power-grab and he was deluded by the red-haired witch? I get he thought it was his right from that Melodysheep song

The witch was telling him he was some kind of foreseen hero or something? So, he thinks: "Yeah, I AM. I can do anything". Then the floor collapses on that march north?

Also, in that video it kind of implies Stannis had something to do with that little blonde Calligula-wannabe's death. Did he?

I really don't mind being spoiled on this. I have no intention of ever reading the books, and I might watch some more of the tv show next HBO/MAX freeview, but it bothers me not at all to know what's going to happen.

And thanks for the info guys.
        I don't know that the show ever really explains how Melisandre got her star hitched to the Stannis wagon. But, she definitely shows a lot of power to Stannis that seems to be legit. (not dying after ingesting poison, giving birth to a smoke baby that kills Renly, off the top of my head). Stannis was known as a great war mind as well. Like I said, he probably should have won Blackwater, even with Tyrion's Wildfire gambit. Nobody knew Tywin was on the way. His march on Winterfell was definitely fool hardy, but he definitely decided she was trustworthy.

Stannis had nothing to do with Joffrey's death. The video may have been made before it was revealed who was, because it was a mystery for awhile. The family believed it to be Tyrion, and he was ultimately tried and found guilty.

I've never seen Vikings, but I can say the story of Game of Thrones is complex. It's true, there are a TON of characters and story arcs to follow. There is blood and boobs. But it is so much more than just shock and disgust (unless you mean shock in the sense of wonder and amazement at the story.. and not shock in the sense of gratuitous blood, sex and violence- which seems to be your point). The story is so rich and the show filled with wonderful writing and acting. No show has ever so continuously surprised me with its story. It's my favorite show on TV and it isn't even close (#2 is The Americans just for comparisons sake)

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Thank you. Did not know that about the Vikings show. I have limited cable channels. I love history stuff though. Vikings it is.
          They lose four Super Bowls and end up being led by a child beater and a Norv.

Comment

• KarlC
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

If you have to pick one...Vikings or GOT? Are they copies?

I can maybe do one of them. but not both. So who do you prefer?
            Game of Thrones seems to be more of a High-Fantasy Soap. Vikings is more of a fictionalized historical drama/action.

I haven't seen enough of GoT to judge, but it has fandom out the wazoo. On the other hand, I frakking LOVE Vikings. Even with the fact it's fictionalized, it does closely parallel historical events. It's getting now into the generation of characters that were actually documented, not just anecdotal like Ragnar, who most historians think was an amalgamation of real people into one mythical hero.

And thanks again for all the GoT info guys. Next freeview, I might just start at the beginning and give it a chance. I hate troll authors like GRRM and the guy who writes Walking Dead, but GoT seems more digestible to a High-Fantasy addict like me who was raised on things like the '77 version of The Hobbit (still the best adaptation imo), Star Wars, and the flood of Fantasy/Sci-Fi from the late '70s to early '80s.

Oh, and Vikings ep 10 SPOILERS.

Really liked the way they showed how bad Rollo and Ragnar looked after their Irish stand-down. Most tv shows and movies don't show anything like reality when it comes to being punched in the face. I know from personal experience that when you get hit in the face, it SWELLS. It swells huge. Media usually shows a cut or a bruise, but not the swelling. Ragnar and Rollo looked like swollen, meaty, crap. Good job, guys. :thumbsup:
            Last edited by KarlC; 05-07-2016, 10:08 AM.

SD guy in OZ

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by KarlC View Post

Really liked the way they showed how bad Rollo and Ragnar looked after their Irish stand-down.
              Irish?

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Screeme View Post
                I don't know that the show ever really explains how Melisandre got her star hitched to the Stannis wagon. But, she definitely shows a lot of power to Stannis that seems to be legit. (not dying after ingesting poison, giving birth to a smoke baby that kills Renly, off the top of my head). Stannis was known as a great war mind as well. Like I said, he probably should have won Blackwater, even with Tyrion's Wildfire gambit. Nobody knew Tywin was on the way. His march on Winterfell was definitely fool hardy, but he definitely decided she was trustworthy.

Stannis had nothing to do with Joffrey's death. The video may have been made before it was revealed who was, because it was a mystery for awhile. The family believed it to be Tyrion, and he was ultimately tried and found guilty.

I've never seen Vikings, but I can say the story of Game of Thrones is complex. It's true, there are a TON of characters and story arcs to follow. There is blood and boobs. But it is so much more than just shock and disgust (unless you mean shock in the sense of wonder and amazement at the story.. and not shock in the sense of gratuitous blood, sex and violence- which seems to be your point). The story is so rich and the show filled with wonderful writing and acting. No show has ever so continuously surprised me with its story. It's my favorite show on TV and it isn't even close (#2 is The Americans just for comparisons sake)
                Funny, The Americans is my favorite show. But game of Thrones is close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

I've been binge watching Bosch. Titus Welliver really seems to have settled into the character in the 2nd season. Good stuff.

Would've liked to see Michael Shannon as Bosch, but he is on to bigger things.
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Anyone watching The Americans? That was uncomfortable. Last night I mean.

I don't know this for a fact but I see a major break - as in "nervous" or even psychotic - for Elizabeth. The show seems to be snow-balling towards that.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoDak
                      • Technology Director
                      • Send PM

The Americans remains my favorite show on television.

Just the freaking best.
                      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ratenstein
                        Is anyone else watching the show The Path? The season finale is next week and it's been renewed, so if you need something to binge on in a while, you'll have 10 episodes.

I've been watching it. I like it. Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad is in it.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by ratenstein
                          That's cool. I wasn't quite sure what to make of it at first, but I really look forward to it now. And yeah, Aaron Paul was the only guy I recognized from it. I'm glad he hasn't been typecast as Pinkman.
                          Pinkman would be an awesome typecast, bitch.

Comment

Working...
                          X