• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

SD Craft Brew Scene

OK, since I have returned to SD post-craft brew explosion I have all sorts of questions and opinions. Eager to hear what you cats think.

Question 1: Why is this market so overwhelmingly IPA-world? Does it have something to do with Comic-on?

Question 2: What's your favorite local brew and why?

Question 3: Are local breweries that get big deals from the big boys sell outs?

Discuss.
  • Lightningwill_420

I don't have an answer to any of your questions.

I like talking beer though.

I like stouts. Any recommendations?

And sours - does anybody other than the posh clowns in Snottsdale drink that shit? I've tried two, and they've both tasted like rotten milk blended with sweat that had been squeezed from my socks after a workout.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

Black Watch Brewery Modern Times coffee stout.
      You're welcome.
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
        Black Watch Brewery Modern Times coffee stout.
        You're welcome.
        Stank you.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I haven't tried the Modern Times, because I don't drink beer from cans. Haven't been anyplace where they have it on tap. But I'd be less likely to enjoy the stout. I like dark beers but ones that are quite a bit smoother than most of what's out on the craft scene today.

I've tried a few of the Lightning brews. They're pretty solid. I like that Coronado Orange Wit. But I tend to like wheats. You can take the punk out of Bavaria but you can't take the Bavaria out of the punk.

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

I typically like Stouts, Dark Lagers, some Brown Ales, and Porters. Thick, sweet, burned, malty, chocolaty, even coffee tones all good for me. Tend to go heavier in Winter and lighter in Spring and Summer. I'm a little bored with Newcastle- just too weak and common now though they do have a mix pack from a sister brewery with some tasty Scotch Ales and heavy IPA that change it up nicely. Not a real fan of anything Amber- and hate wheat beers. Light lagers, Pilsners, Mexican and German beers depends on brand and quality and time of year for me.

And yeah, if the quality and taste go down while price goes up on Ballast Point and St Archer- they will be sell outs for sure. Don't know what is driving the IPA craze, but it's probably something to do with the bold tastes and higher alcohol content. I've seen it explode in Colorado in the last year too. I don't consider lite beers worthy of discussion, much less drinking.
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
              I typically like Stouts, Dark Lagers, some Brown Ales, and Porters. Thick, sweet, burned, malty, chocolaty, even coffee tones all good for me. Tend to go heavier in Winter and lighter in Spring and Summer. I'm a little bored with Newcastle- just too weak and common now though they do have a mix pack from a sister brewery with some tasty Scotch Ales and heavy IPA that change it up nicely. Not a real fan of anything Amber- and hate wheat beers. Light lagers, Pilsners, Mexican and German beers depends on brand and quality and time of year for me.

And yeah, if the quality and taste go down while price goes up on Ballast Point and St Archer- they will be sell outs for sure. Don't know what is driving the IPA craze, but it's probably something to do with the bold tastes and higher alcohol content. I've seen it explode in Colorado in the last year too. I don't consider lite beers worthy of discussion, much less drinking.
              I am with you on all of the dark stuff.
              Also, dont be put off by the cans anymore. Some of these canned beers are terrific.
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Also, dont be put off by the cans anymore. Some of these canned beers are terrific.
                I like most of the Oskar Blues. And I know you like the cans of Salma.

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

yeah, the 2 local largest Microbrews near me in Colorado (SKA and Durango Brewing Co) have now switched (or soon will) to cans. They claim it lessens the chance of light ruining the flavor of the beer and has a slightly different taste- but not in a bad way. They claim they would have done it before because its more cost effective, but there is some minimum canning order required of like 100,000 units and it took awhile to reach the numbers.
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

Working...
                  X