The L.A. Underworld and a box-man named Baxter.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

The L.A. Underworld and a box-man named Baxter.

Crime-LA-Photographs-28-1280x768.jpg

I have a journalism minor and I really enjoy James Ellroy, as no one knows the seedy side of Southern California like him. He provided the content in these stunning photo exhibits. If you pause for a moment, I believe that you can look at every other major American city and assess that Los Angeles is the only one who took a very early proactive - in many cases and statutes, illegal - stance on organized crime. There exists little today in Los Angeles aside from transnational organized crime money-laundering, and gang-violence. The more research you do - St. Louis and their horrid foreign cartel drug and human trafficking issues, Cleveland's Danny Greene or Philly's Little Nicky Scarfo, or Carmine Perscico's lineage still participating in organized rackets - you realize what a phenomenon is really is.

Moving forward into my generation in the 1970s, I believe it had quite alot with the state of California's prosecution of Charles Manson and the Manson Family after their arrest by Officer Jim Pursell at Barker Ranch on Goler Wash Road in Death Valley National Park in October of 1969. Same time frame Paul Stine was murdered by the Zodiac at Washington + Cherry in the Presidio area, of the Bay area.

f88a01bf58d1683199f4e1abaf1103da.jpg

Officer Jim Pursell

Manson.jpg

When Pursell found Charlie, he was hiding in vanity cabinet clad only in his buckskin. They surprised and captured the whole family without one shot being fired. That last part is false. One assisting officer had his .12 gauge shotgun and he was so tense (Clem was hiding behind the door and could have clobbered anyone at anytime, Clem never moved because Charlie never gave the order to move) that he had the safety off and not in a port-arms position, the shotgun discharged inside the Barker house with the gang inside, and he blew a broom in the corner all to hell. Fucking broom was destroyed.

The raid was October 18th, 1969. Pursell and the other officers had no idea who these people were or they they were wanted in connection to a series of murders in Los Angeles. The Barker Ranch was going to be their stronghold. Officer Jim Pursell shut that down.

https://flashbak.com/bloody-brutal-vintage-crime-scene-photos-from-the-los-angeles-police-department-archives-430592/

Which brings us back again to the box-man, Baxter. 1954 was a banner year for crime in L.A. A box-man is a safe cracker, he worked sometimes for Mickey Cohen. Baxter signed on with a crew to break into the box of an woman elderly woman in Burbank, CA. Once the crew arrived, everything went wrong.

As for The Disappearance of Baxter Shorter, I'm going to let you discover that for yourself. I have a theory as to Baxter Shorter's whereabouts.
Working...
X