• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

We are going to get Lamp back. Possibly goes to RT.
      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
      181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
      225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Boltster
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Baltimore, MD
        • Send PM

Being a rookie is part. He was known to need more lower body power when he came out. He's getting a lot of good playing time and for the most part has been ok. Him next year and if Lamp can be productive is a start to a better line.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Feeney struggled some against Jones. The thing to keep in mind is that Jones has been playing very well this year. Feeney isn't the only guy to get embarrassed by Jones. And even before Jones went down, Feeney was doing a bit better.

As far as the talent level of the interior OL, I think it is getting there. Wiggins has actually played reasonably well most of the season. Not great, but enough to be an average starter. Pulley is the weak link. He may get better, but I think he is better suited to being a backup OG. He can pull and lead really well, and moves well.

If we can trade up to get Quenton Nelson, I think we probably should. He is a great interior OL who really does a great job of not only his own position, but helping out the players around him. IF we did that, I would consider moving Feeney to C. A lot of teams looked at him there, and it would fill a need.

If we can't trade up far enough to get Nelson, then try to do the same thing with Billy Price, who is nearly as good only I would play him at C (he has experience there).

It's not so much that I think we need to add interior OL talent, as that is where the talent is on OL. I would love to add an OT, but I am really not that high on the top ranked OT, at least in the 1st round. As 2nd day picks, they would be OK, but might not play much as rookies.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

The draft is about getting the right players. If you can add them from trading up (or down) then do it. As far as I am concerned, Nelson is one of the top few players in all of college football, and yet I doubt he goes in the top 5. He is going to be seriously undervalued because he is an OG. To me, it is a chance to add a bargain because of stupid conventional wisdom that the NFL has been dragging around for years. While every player is being drafted based on their future potential, I love Nelson's technique. He is the guy who is making McGlinchey look like a top draft pick.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

It is about finding the rate players, but the failure rate is very high so sometimes the quantity over quality thing comes into play.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Nelson and Price are guys ive been talking about. Id be stoked if we stayed and got Price. Likely a trade up would be needed for Nelson. Unless we lose out and are in the 15 range. I still think hes top 10. But you never know. I thought Ingram was top 10.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    It is about finding the rate players, but the failure rate is very high so sometimes the quantity over quality thing comes into play.
                    Are we talking about Mike Williams

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I'm sticking to my OL/DL/MLB philosophy, especially in the early rounds. If you ain't strong up the middle of the field, you ain't shit.

Would never happen in the modern NFL because of valuable roster space and having to build chemistry, but imagine having like 7 competent STARTING-CALIBER (not including backups) OL you could rotate just like you rotate your RBs....your OL never gets hurt or tired and they just lean on the opposing defense all day long and grind them to dust. Would be a beautiful thing.

But in all seriousness I would love to have a RB committee like what NE employs or has employed in the past. A different tool available for different scenarios. I'm tired of the workhorse RB mentality. That shit is dead.
                      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Boltx
                        Dominate the day
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

Are we talking about Mike Williams
                        I didn't like the pick but the one good thing is that at least it's out of the way and we don't need to worry about spending a high pick on WR.

That being said...this dude has already had a serious neck and back injury already in his young career. Doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence in having a long, productive career.
                        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

They will probably not rotate 7 OL. Too much teamwork and coordination, plus the salary cap implications of that many top paid players. It could happen, back in the day the 49ers had 7 starting OL, LT, 3OG, C, 2 RT with 2 of the OG and 2 RT rotating by quarters. But that was back in the day before teams had the variety of blitzes, and not nearly the protections. It just takes too much time to get everyone up to speed in practice, and they had more practice time then too.

I like the point Boltx makes, except for one thing. I think Gordon is the change of pace back now. He is fast, explosive and a good receiver. He is not a between the tackles runner who avoids lost yardage, even at the expense of explosive plays. Better to give a little more of the designated power running role to someone else, and let Gordon be the fewer carries, when the D is tired and is used more in the passing game. IF we could get someone like the Redskins runners (either Samje Perrine or Fat Rob Kelly), it would really help our O, even if Gordon might be the glitter runner and receiver.

I still think Ekeler would be a better fit as a 3rd down back, where his route running underneath would be better, provided he can learn to pass protect.

Comment

Working...
                          X