• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

DEFENSE (Based on 66 snaps)

Line -- Ingram 61, Bosa 58, Darius Philon 35, Brandon Mebane 33, Damion Square 23, Corey Liuget 22, Tenny Palepoi 19, Chris McCain 11.

Linebacker -- Jatavis Brown 33, Denzel Perryman 23, Hayes Pullard 15, Kyle Emanuel 5, Korey Toomer 2.

Secondary -- Tre Boston 66, Trevor Williams 66, Jahleel Addae 66, Casey Hayward 66, Desmond King 61, Adrian Phillips 52, Rayshawn Jenkins 7.

Defensive analysis -- According to ESPN Stats & Information, 133 of Kansas City running back Kareem Hunt
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
      blueman commented
      Editing a comment
      If Smith drops take him.
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Perryman is becoming Verrett at LB. We just cant stay healthy at some key positions. Im definitely not opposed to LB. Ive mentioned its a position that interests me. But at this point im all about the trenches. I want interior OL and Interior DL. I want to start fixing the team inside out. I think we are lucky to have Lamp come back but im not sure that helps us enough inside. It may though. Feeney could really elevate his game for his sophomore year. Good players do that in the pros. I think he has the potential to up his game quite a bit. But center is a big issue.

DT, OC, OT, LB, PK all need to be looked at.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
      Perryman is becoming Verrett at LB. We just cant stay healthy at some key positions. Im definitely not opposed to LB. Ive mentioned its a position that interests me. But at this point im all about the trenches. I want interior OL and Interior DL. I want to start fixing the team inside out. I think we are lucky to have Lamp come back but im not sure that helps us enough inside. It may though. Feeney could really elevate his game for his sophomore year. Good players do that in the pros. I think he has the potential to up his game quite a bit. But center is a big issue.

DT, OC, OT, LB, PK all need to be looked at.
      I've thought about DT also, but look at the rotation we have at DL. 8 guys getting significant snaps. I'd love to get Maurice Hurst or Vita Vea, but they'd be sharing snaps. A top LB would get nearly all the snaps. And OL hasn't cost us any games IMO. The LB spot has.

This team is a dike. It always has new holes to plug. (have fun with that one.)
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I've thought about DT also, but look at the rotation we have at DL. 8 guys getting significant snaps. I'd love to get Maurice Hurst or Vita Vea, but they'd be sharing snaps. A top LB would get nearly all the snaps. And OL hasn't cost us any games IMO. The LB spot has.

This team is a dike. It always has new holes to plug. (have fun with that one.)
        Compared to who though? Just because interior DL are sharing snaps doesnt mean a much more dominant interior lineman wouldn't see increased snaps. We are still ranked close to last in run defense. There are guys that can collapse a pocket and defend the run. We have a bunch of incomplete DL rotating. I think we need to upgrade run D and get better push up the middle. And snap counts and rotation....in addition to our terrible run D...may actually support my theory. Is the rotation working? There are guys in this league that do both well. And i want to have one on this team.

Its like our secondary and how much better they look with our stout pass rush. I wonder how much better our Linebackers would look if we had DTs that helped them. I too think a LB would be nice....but im ready to dominate the trenches.

How many snaps would Malik Jackson get in our rotation? This is the type of impact DL we need.

Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 5.52.13 PM.png

Comment

• Attack
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2017
          • Send PM

The KC game exposed the D and the lack of stopping the run. Vita Vea or Billy Price would be good in first round. And whichever line isn't addressed in Rd 1 should be addressed in Rd 2. Then need to trust that Telesco will fill holes in free agency. I do like the TE on OK, Andrews, and think we can find a complementary RB in the draft too. I think I would let Verrett go and Benjamin too, and maybe even Liuget, unless they wanted to renegotiate a lower cap hit.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Build Back Better.

Comment

• OhioBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

1st pick DT or OT
              2nd Pick DT or OT

It should come to best player available when you pick but we need a Defensive Tackle who can be disruptive and command a double team that would improve our run defense Meabane is old has not been what we thought he would be.

Offensive Tackle time move on from Barksdale and hopefully we can get another good season out of Okung

After that I think we need a Safety Adaee has improved but still misses tackles especially in key situations, and Boston is boom and bust and way more bust he will make a nice play here and there, but makes bonehead plays and misses too many tackles

PR\KR we need a receiver that has big-time return ability and move on from Travis Benjamin he is a boom\bust player also makes some explosive plays and other times it is like why he do that.

Comment

• Attack
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2017
                • Send PM

I didn't think we had a lot of cap space this year, not anywhere near the middle of the league anyway. Thought we were near the bottom as far as cap space.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post

I didn't think we had a lot of cap space this year, not anywhere near the middle of the league anyway. Thought we were near the bottom as far as cap space.
                  I'd suspect we have a lot of dead money that goes away after this year.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

A little under 5 million in dead money for next year. Excluding players we cut in 2018 that add to that total. NFL winter meetings news came out that the cap could hit 178 million. We are projected to be around 30 million under the cap and thats based on the current 155 million. If it goes up another 20 or so add that. Thing is a lot of team will have amazing cap space. And this is what continues to drive up the price of players. I would have no problem using big money to secure a major important position. But we have some guys that need to be signed. Like. Hayward and maybe Perryman who are free in 2019. We dont really have any serious losses in UFA 2018. Maybe bring back Boston, Hairston, Toomer, Wiggins and Slausson.

So you want to hit on your draft picks. But we have some room next year to do some things. Maybe a guy like Poe to take the place of Mebane. Then draft another DT that can compliment Poe. Maurice Hurst type. Similar player to Peko. Can even play DE and use Ingram's versatility in some looks. Poe has been on the field almost 700 snaps this season. He and Jarrett rarely come off. Along with Deion Jones that trio has been pretty good against the run. And Poe has really helped Jones flourish at ILB. Be a big help for Perryman.

IMO you upgrade the LB spot with a stud full time DT. Money well spent for a full time player.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

I'm not bringing back Slausson. Great short term fix, be we have interior OL now, we're better off finding another young guy or bringing up a guy from the PS.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

I think im just done trying to project what this team does on the OL. So i put Slausson on there as a possibility. But im most likely drafting or bringing in a center. And drafting an OT. Id probably look at something like this.

Bring in Poe DT and Wesley Johnson C

Let Boston walk and draft

S Derwin James
                        DL Harrison Phillips
                        OT Mitch Hyatt
                        RB Sony Michel
                        QB
                        PK

Comment

Working...
                        X