• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Attack
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
    Havnt really followed him this year but now that im looking at the reports it doesnt sound like hes doing great. I saw the free agent list and remember him playing really well last year. Its why they let Mangold go. Maybe hes regressed. He looked really solid last year when he started playing. Like a really good up and comer.

May need to look elsewhere if hes not panning out. Nobody will command a shitload of money imo. And there are probably better options than what we have. Drafting a guy like Billy Price also makes a lot of sense. May be able to use Lamp outside. But Lamp, Price, Feeney sounds like a nice interior.
    Being the GM, and including free agency, do we upgrade the O-line or D-line with the first round draft pick? I really want to build the D, and would probably pick Vea over Price, if given the choice. But the C options in free agency don't look good. The second and third rated C in the draft should be available for picking later too.

You mentioned Mangold (not as a player for us), and he was a really good C, but age, injuries, and cap hit did him in. Now that he has been out of the league all season, it looks like he may be done for his career. He'll be around 34 for the 2018 season.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post

Being the GM, and including free agency, do we upgrade the O-line or D-line with the first round draft pick? I really want to build the D, and would probably pick Vea over Price, if given the choice. But the C options in free agency don't look good. The second and third rated C in the draft should be available for picking later too.

You mentioned Mangold (not as a player for us), and he was a really good C, but age, injuries, and cap hit did him in. Now that he has been out of the league all season, it looks like he may be done for his career. He'll be around 34 for the 2018 season.
      I wanted to kick the tires on Mangold during the season. Im not sure hes done and its possible a year off is what he needed. Im just not sure. I too would like a DT but i wouldn't pass on a guy like Nelson if he were there. I have Price somewhere between 20-45 so he may be someone to look at in the 2nd. I just want to continue to build the trenches. If we are going skill in the 1st round id look at S or possibly even QB. But that depends on who drops. If we win out the next 2 games and dont make the playoffs we are probably close to pick 20 or so. Ive always felt like its a good spot in the draft to wait and see who falls. Get good value there. And its also a good place where you find value for positions like Center and Safety. Meaning you can get the best at the position in that part of the draft. TE's, Safeties, Centers etc tend to go there. If we signed a guy like Poe id probably look at OL in the 1st. And i dont consider Price a reach in the 20's if you are thinking along those lines. I expect him to climb. In fact i think hes a pretty safe pick. He may be a better prospect than Pat Elflein and look at what is happening with the Vikings. They lost Cook and still run the ball pretty well. Its just such an important position. Max Unger in New Orleans. Brees doesnt have to carry the team these days.

I believe in a trickle down effect that starts on the lines. We see what a pass rush is doing for our secondary. And i actually like Boston. His numbers are close to Weddles. Hes made some great plays for us. But with continued pass rush and then pressure from the interior or the ability to stop the run will also trickle down to the LB core. So trench players can elevate the game or potential of our skill players. Thats my belief so i keep working on the lines. If Rivers plans on staying for a couple more years id just keep building the trenches.

Comment

• Attack
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2017
        • Send PM

I'd like to hear Hardwick's honest evaluation of Pulley, which may give some insight into what Telesco and co think of him, and what the team may do moving forward.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
            blueman commented
            Editing a comment
            Wiggins has been a nice surprise, Pulley not so much (is he nursing an injury?). Hopefully Lamp can beat out Feeney.
        • Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

20 (or maybe 30) years ago, we used to talk about bookend tackles. And coming out of this draft, I definitely want to finally achieve that.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
            Fluent in Sarcasm
            • Jun 2013
            • Iowa
            • Man of the People
            • Send PM

Price in the 1st, Tyrell Crosby in the 2nd (to replace Barksdale), and Royce Freeman in the 3rd. That would solidify the offense pretty well I think. Starting OL of Okung, Feeney, Price, Lamp, Crosby.

Comment

• Budsman
              Budsman commented
              Editing a comment
              Bradley would have a conniption if he got stonewalled in the draft again.

• bonehead
              bonehead commented
              Editing a comment
              Get Bradley Poe and he will be alright
          • Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Rashaad Penny joins lofty company with his 5th straight game of 200 yards, but SDSU falls to Army

Penny ran for 221 yards, his fifth straight game of at least 200 yards. His scores came on runs of 81, on his first carry, 31, 49 and 4 yards.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Penny is the most underrated football player in the world.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Budsman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

12/2/17: Penny has run well as a senior, using his size to roll over a lot of weak opponents. He is averaging 7.4 yards per carry for 2,027 yards with 19 touchdowns, plus he has 18 receptions for 142 yards and two scores. As a junior, Penny averaged 7.4 yards per carry for 1,005 yards with 11 touchdowns. He made 15 catches for 224 yards and three scores that season as well.

For the NFL, Penny is a one-cut downhill runner. He has a nice build, but runs upright and could stand to improve his knee bend to run behind his pads. Penny may not have special speed or power in order to be a starter in the NFL. He could still be a rotational backup, but he will need to improve his pass protection.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018RB.php#ixzz529csYTK6
                Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018R...mkhPfUxc0Aq.99

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

That really reads like something written by someone watching very little game film on Penny.

Comment

• Classic
                    Hall Of Fame
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    That really reads like something written by someone watching very little game film on Penny.

Basically everything at walterfootball.com is like that.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I think the eval was done preseason, and had Penny came out after his Junior year that would have been correct. I saw a more recent one that had him as the 57th best overall, 7th positionally. East coast bias on a G5 player who plays after 9pm Eastern.

Comment

Working...
                      X