• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Future QB

Not here to debate whether that should be next year or in 2020 or whatever...don't care about that right now.

But PLEASE...for crying out loud...can we draft a guy with some athleticism? I don't mean a run-first guy, but somebody that can at least move around, throw on the run, and not shit the bed when the OL isn't 100% perfect on each play?? Think Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck (before he got hurt)...sneaky-fast.

Look, I realize the OL has been a weak point of this team for years...but you can't expect ANY OL to be perfect all the time. The problem with a guy like Rivers is that even the SLIGHTEST breakdown and the play is either dead or a turnover. He can't move, he can't run, he can't throw on the run. The OL exacerbates his weaknesses and his weaknesses exacerbates the OL's. It's like a perfect shit sandwich.

ESPN Screename: GoBolts02
  • Budsman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Ummm, Hingle McCringleberry.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Jagged
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Omaha, Nebraska
      • Send PM

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

Well, we are another year away from Taryn Christion from my South Dakota State Jackrabbits (he's a junior).

But he's pretty damn good, and he's mobile (had an 86 yard TD run last Saturday), but he can throw too. Was Missouri Valley Football Conference Offensive MVP as a sophomore last year.

And, since SDSU is an FCS school, could probably pick him with a 5th rounder. (Same conference as Carson Wentz from NDSU)

But, is he NFL Caliber? I don't know. He's not as big as Carson is...but he's put up better numbers than Carson did, in the same conference.

More than likely, the team will over-react and draft a qb high this year...no matter what. Because that's what the front office has done. Need a RB? draft Ryan Mathews or Melvin Gordon.
        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

A running QB is great, but they first and foremost have to be able to pass from the pocket.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

A running QB can make some extra plays with their legs, but no QB can be effective when the pass blocking is bad. That is just how it is.

Adding a running QB doesn't solve the basic issue we have had.

The second problem is that if you build up the OL at the expense of other positions, then you have to get by with either secondary talent there or find players in unusual places that can perform like top tier talent (bargains).

Remember a few years ago, RG3, Kapernick, Luck, Wilson..... mobile QB were the new thing and the pocket QB were a thing of the past. Now, only Wilson is left (literally), and even he is ineffective at times.

This past weekend, I have heard so many people blasting Dak Prescott because of his performance vs Atlanta. What will happen to Watson.....

We need to put a good team around the QB. Even Case Kenum with a good team around him looks pretty solid. There are good QB out there, but they have to have all the pieces and that includes ST and D. Remember back in 2006, Everyone was talking about how Brady was done for, because their offense struggled. They had an OK OL, but they had Reche Caldwell as one of their better WR (yeah, that bad). He kinda struggled, especially late and in the playoffs, everyone said how bad he was, and he was almost at the end of his career. THen they got Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Donte Stallworth, threw 50 TD and only 8 int, and they went 16-0 in the regular season.

The point is every QB can struggle without the help them. Even some fail to win games with great offensive talent around them. We just need to focus on building the whole roster and not worry too much about 1 spot.

Comment

• Classic
              Hall Of Fame
              • Dec 2014
              • Send PM

We also need Clutch QB. It'd be nice to feel comfortable in the 4th quarter as Chargers fan.

Comment

• Charged4Life
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Send PM

Whomever our QB might be I'm guessing they'd really appreciate a full-time running back that is better than ordinary.

Comment

• Rugger05
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charged4Life View Post
                  Whomever our QB might be I'm guessing they'd really appreciate a full-time running back that is better than ordinary.
                  Or a oline that is at least ordinary?

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoDak
                    • Technology Director
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post

Or a oline that is at least ordinary?
                    Controversial opinion coming!

That's what the Chargers have. For as much guff as Okung has taken (mostly for his high salary), he's played pretty good.

I'm not saying they are a good offensive line, they are not. But they aren't absolutely horrible, either. which is a definite upgrade from last season.
                    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post

That's what the Chargers have. For as much guff as Okung has taken (mostly for his high salary), he's played pretty good.

I'm not saying they are a good offensive line, they are not. But they aren't absolutely horrible, either. which is a definite upgrade from last season.
                      The middle of our line is not good at all. It may be improved over last season, but that is a REALLY low bar.

Comment

• Rugger05
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post

Okung has played reasonable well IMO. It seems the Chargers are snake bitten when it comes to the oline. I can't blame it all on TT either. He signed the highest rated guard available a couple years ago who turned into a complete bust. He panicked and drafter Fluker his first year. Went out and signed a highly rated LT in Okung this year. Followed that up with drafting the two highest rated guards in this years draft.

Of course Lamp tore his ACL in training camp and Feeney is still a work in progress. The effort to improve the oline is there, but the results are lacking. Jax has one the best dlines in the NFL and the Chargers did a pretty good job of protecting Rivers. It's their run blocking that is suspect and losing Lamp hurt them in that regard. They need to add more beef next year and hopefully someone who can run block. They are really missing someone with a mean streak like Deilman

Comment

Working...
                        X