• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    A running QB can make some extra plays with their legs, but no QB can be effective when the pass blocking is bad. That is just how it is.

Adding a running QB doesn't solve the basic issue we have had.

The second problem is that if you build up the OL at the expense of other positions, then you have to get by with either secondary talent there or find players in unusual places that can perform like top tier talent (bargains).

Remember a few years ago, RG3, Kapernick, Luck, Wilson..... mobile QB were the new thing and the pocket QB were a thing of the past. Now, only Wilson is left (literally), and even he is ineffective at times.

This past weekend, I have heard so many people blasting Dak Prescott because of his performance vs Atlanta. What will happen to Watson.....

We need to put a good team around the QB. Even Case Kenum with a good team around him looks pretty solid. There are good QB out there, but they have to have all the pieces and that includes ST and D. Remember back in 2006, Everyone was talking about how Brady was done for, because their offense struggled. They had an OK OL, but they had Reche Caldwell as one of their better WR (yeah, that bad). He kinda struggled, especially late and in the playoffs, everyone said how bad he was, and he was almost at the end of his career. THen they got Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Donte Stallworth, threw 50 TD and only 8 int, and they went 16-0 in the regular season.

The point is every QB can struggle without the help them. Even some fail to win games with great offensive talent around them. We just need to focus on building the whole roster and not worry too much about 1 spot.

Oh I agree, and I'm not suggesting that a mobile QB fixes all of our issues. But a statue of a QB expontentially makes an OL's struggles, even if minor, look worse.

Look at Rodgers. Certainly not a run first guy by any means, but how many times a game does he make a huge play with his legs. Totally demoralizes a defense, too. Contrast that with Rivers who can barely even throw a football on the run.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• OhioBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

While the line is not great it is way better than last year. Rivers has only been sacked 11 times this year he is rank at one of the least sack QB's

ESPN is the place for NFL stats! Find a list of the Offense Total team stat leaders for the 2023 NFL Regular Season.

Comment

• OhioBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Future QB is not on the current roster.

How many teams need a QB that you can trade Rivers to without sending him into a crap situation like the Browns or the NY Jets I am surprise the Jets are doing decent. Rivers probably would retire if we traded him to those types of teams. One team that may fit the bill and we get a draft pick from them would be the team that just beat us the Jags.

This could be Borttles last season with the Jags unless he is lights out and gets them in the playoffs I think they would move on from him there team is built to win now. There D is top notch, they have an up and coming featured RB in Fournette, they have WR they are banged up or on IR, Allen, Hurns, and Lee is good group. So Rivers to the Jags we have our 1st round pick and the Jags 1st round pick.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Rivers has a no trade clause.

Comment

• OhioBolt
            OhioBolt commented
            Editing a comment
            Right that's why you can't trade him to a team that has no hope to contend at this stage he will be looking for a team that can go to the Super Bowl which takes me back to Jacksonville depending on how their QB situation plays out
        • Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
          While the line is not great it is way better than last year. Rivers has only been sacked 11 times this year he is rank at one of the least sack QB's

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/t...sition/defense
          Not even close, much worse. Lost of unblocked rushers coming right up the middle.

Rivers gets rid of the ball before the rush gets to him. It is not like he has time or room to complete passes most of the time.

If you watch the best QB, they have time to step into their throws and drive them downfield. Rivers is almost always going backward to keep some separation between the pass rushers and himself.

Comment

• OhioBolt
            OhioBolt commented
            Editing a comment
            Your assessment of Rivers is off it is like when we wanted to believe LT still had it and yeah part of the blame was the line, but we had Sproles and he would get yards behind that same line. Russell Wilson of the Seahawks his O-line is worse than ours Wilson is also there leading rusher they can run at all. Part of the reason Wilson is leading them in rushing because he has absolutely no time to pass. Arron Rodgers had injuries on his O-line last year and no running game they had to use their Receiver Ty Montgomery as their running back, Rodger manage to lead his team to victories despite the circumstances. Rivers was good to us and for us, but this train ride is slowing down.

• Steve
            Steve commented
            Editing a comment
            Except that I think we have a much worse OL is probably the worst OL in all of football.

We allow unblocked guys up the middle and at the point of attack on almost every key play. By definition, it can't get much worse than that.
        • Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Oh I agree, and I'm not suggesting that a mobile QB fixes all of our issues. But a statue of a QB expontentially makes an OL's struggles, even if minor, look worse.

Look at Rodgers. Certainly not a run first guy by any means, but how many times a game does he make a huge play with his legs. Totally demoralizes a defense, too. Contrast that with Rivers who can barely even throw a football on the run.
          Running QB, pocket passer.... it makes no difference. No OL, no offense. In fact, to take advantage of a running QB, you need a very good run blocking OL who can pass protect, which almost forces a team to spend nothing but higher picks on the OL. Look at all the offenses that are inconsistent and struggling, and the OL is a common theme. Always is.

There are plenty of QB around who have mobility, but relatively few who are good passers. It is the passers who are the impact plays. I'm not against having a player who can move, but the ability to make plays in the pocket that makes or breaks players. Running thing is a very, very distant second.

Far more important is fixing the OL.

I would also like to see Jones play now that he knows the offense. He may not have looked that good in preseason, but he was still learning a complex offense without any time in the offseason program.
          Last edited by Steve; 11-14-2017, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post

Controversial opinion coming!

That's what the Chargers have. For as much guff as Okung has taken (mostly for his high salary), he's played pretty good.

I'm not saying they are a good offensive line, they are not. But they aren't absolutely horrible, either. which is a definite upgrade from last season.
            OL play is horribly for 2/3rds of the teams in the NFL. The Chargers are far from the worst. Its a product of the college style of offense.

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Remember that ESPN article where they predicted that our starting QB in 2020 would be Tyrod Taylor...

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 13m13 minutes ago
              The #Bills

Comment

• King Bolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                Generous Donor
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I want Baker Mayfield...He fits the bill and will get the rest of the team energized along the way!

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by King Bolt View Post
                  I want Baker Mayfield...He fits the bill and will get the rest of the team energized along the way!
                  I understand that some think the Big 12 is a terrible grounds for finding a QB. But i really do like what hes done against strong defenses out of that conference over his career. Its not that he has a rocket arm and can make all throws....its his ability to make plays with his legs like Russell Wilson does. Hes got an incredibly high football IQ and reminds me of Brees coming out from that POV. I know the B12 is a knock against him...but i would not be surprised if he overcomes that knock against him.

Ive never been great at accessing QBs. Ive always been a defensive guy. But other than Lamar Jackson i dont think there is any other player in the league i enjoy watching more than Mayfield. And i dont enjoy watching Jackson for his passing game. Hes just a freak runner. Much better than Vick imo.

The thing with Jackson is he makes me think of Mariota...and Mariota isnt good imo. He looks terrible. So yet another college running QB who isnt using his legs a lot. The thing is could Jackson be a better passer than Mariota?

Ive always liked big pocket passer types. Like Wentz. But a team like ours may benefit from a mobile QB who is a great passer. I love watching Baker bootleg and throw screens to his backside on misdirection plays. I think that could be the type of stuff we need to run if our OL never gets fixed. Ive never seen a team make run blocking look so difficult. It has to be teams knowing Rivers will just stick in the pocket. There is no fear of him moving. That alone makes it easier to defend our offense. Teams have finally figured that out.

Comment

• King Bolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    Generous Donor
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I am a Sooner homer so I have been following him closely for a long time. Read an article this morning from a pro scout who was at the TCU game specifically to scout Mayfield. He said he along with several other scouts at the game agreed there was nice improvement in arm strength from last year to this. This scout had him as first rounder. Says some other good things as well.

Daniel Jeremiah says Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield is worthy of a first-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. Have a look at his 5 takeaways on the Sooners star after scouting him in person on Saturday vs. TCU.

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

What you want is for him to be a Brees type and fall to the 2nd because of his size.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                        OhioBolt commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I guess if fail to us in the second round, but the Big-12 doesn't have good Defenses and every QB puts up big numbers and that always reflects well, I mention earlier in the thread about lack of success the Big-12 QB have had in the NFL this article supports that too

The 2017 NFL draft demonstrated just how far the conference has fallen behind its Power Five peers. An inability to lock down Texas high school recruits is largely to blame.

• Fleet
                        Fleet commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I hear you man. Its an issue that has to be taken into consideration for sure. But Mayfield has done well against good defenses outside of his conference over his career. Hes a good little player.
                    Working...
                    X