• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

Agreed it’s a passing league, but they lost to the Raiders because they couldn’t stop the run even when they knew it was coming. I’m not totally in on the Jordan Davis wagon, though I wouldn’t be completely upset. I am all in on Devonte Wyatt though. I love his size and quickness. Wyatt, resign Jones and sign SJD, and that would be a great start to rebuilding the Dline.
    Some say they lost to the Raiders because Storm Norton couldn't keep Maxx Crosby off of Justin Herbert.
    I'm not saying "don't fix the run defense". There are a variety of ways of doing that. I prefer a FA NT and a mid-round draft pick.
    Both the Chiefs (4.8 ypc) and Packers (4.7 ypc) were worse than us (4.6) ypc) at stopping the run last year.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Some say they lost to the Raiders because Storm Norton couldn't keep Maxx Crosby off of Justin Herbert.
      I'm not saying "don't fix the run defense". There are a variety of ways of doing that. I prefer a FA NT and a mid-round draft pick.
      Both the Chiefs (4.8 ypc) and Packers (4.7 ypc) were worse than us (4.6) ypc) at stopping the run last year.
      I think no matter what they are going to do their best to fix both positions via free agency and draft.

I’m seeing teams restructure contracts, so why aren’t the Chargers doing it with Linsley, Allen and Bosa? Marcus Lattimore just restructured and freeing up $18+ mil just this year. If they really want to make a push this year, they should really consider that. Considering the cap is expected to go up $50+ mil over the course of the next 2 years.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

If teams can't pass on us and can't stop our passing game they will never be able to run enough to keep up with us.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

I think no matter what they are going to do their best to fix both positions via free agency and draft.

I’m seeing teams restructure contracts, so why aren’t the Chargers doing it with Linsley, Allen and Bosa? Marcus Lattimore just restructured and freeing up $18+ mil just this year. If they really want to make a push this year, they should really consider that. Considering the cap is expected to go up $50+ mil over the course of the next 2 years.
          Saints chased an additional SB with Brees. They got themselves in cap hell by re-structuring a number of contracts. Now they're stuck with a bunch of players they will eventually have to cut... and eat their contracts. Without finding a very good QB, the Saints will be a bad team for years to come.

The Packers are traveling down the same road. We got Linsley because the Packers couldn't re-sign. Smart on our part.

We're in a totally different situation... very manageable QB contract for the next 3 years.

There are a number of teams (Rams/Giants) that will not be able to re-sign good players (Sebastian Joseph-Day/Austin Johnson). I say we scoop up one/both. Take advantage of other team's bad decisions. Be a predator rather than the prey.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
            If teams can't pass on us and can't stop our passing game they will never be able to run enough to keep up with us.
            Exactly!

Get a RT and a CB... even 2 CB's.

Then unleash the dogs (Bosa and Mack).

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Saints chased an additional SB with Brees. They got themselves in cap hell by re-structuring a number of contracts. Now they're stuck with a bunch of players they will eventually have to cut... and eat their contracts. Without finding a very good QB, the Saints will be a bad team for years to come.

The Packers are traveling down the same road. We got Linsley because the Packers couldn't re-sign. Smart on our part.

We're in a totally different situation... very manageable QB contract for the next 3 years.

There are a number of teams (Rams/Giants) that will not be able to re-sign good players (Sebastian Joseph-Day/Austin Johnson). I say we scoop up one/both. Take advantage of other team's bad decisions. Be a predator rather than the prey.
              I understand that, but I feel like some restructuring could really help them right now. Especially since the cap keeps going up. I’m not saying to do it as dramatic as the Saints, just a few mil here and there to be able to sign JC Jackson, SJD and some depth. I Don’t know the ins and outs of structuring deals with signing bonuses and guaranteed money, so maybe they can still do that with what they have after releasing Bulaga and some other players.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                Yeah, the only thing that can stop our passing attack is our opponents controlling the clock. How do you do that? Quick throws and running the ball for 5 ypc. It must be addressed.
                Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I understand that, but I feel like some restructuring could really help them right now. Especially since the cap keeps going up. I’m not saying to do it as dramatic as the Saints, just a few mil here and there to be able to sign JC Jackson, SJD and some depth. I Don’t know the ins and outs of structuring deals with signing bonuses and guaranteed money, so maybe they can still do that with what they have after releasing Bulaga and some other players.
                  I think the JC Jackson boat has sailed (with the Mack signing). For every super-star you sign (creative salary structure or not)... there are 2-3 good FA signings you can not sign. You hurt your depth. Depth was a huge problem last year. There are 15-16 current roster spots that will probably not make the 53-man roster (practice squad caliber). That gives you 35 current players that make the 53-man roster.

You've got 21-22 roster spots to fill via FA and the draft... after cutting Bulaga. You've got $33 million (after Bulaga cut) to fill 10 spots, 10 draft picks, and have mid-season wiggle room. There's another $15 million available after you move those 15 players to the practice squad... but still not enough to bring on JC Jackson IMO.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

I think the JC Jackson boat has sailed (with the Mack signing). For every super-star you sign (creative salary structure or not)... there are 2-3 good FA signings you can not sign. You hurt your depth. Depth was a huge problem last year. There are 15-16 current roster spots that will probably not make the 53-man roster (practice squad caliber). That gives you 35 current players that make the 53-man roster.

You've got 21-22 roster spots to fill via FA and the draft... after cutting Bulaga. You've got $33 million (after Bulaga cut) to fill 10 spots, 10 draft picks, and have mid-season wiggle room. There's another $15 million available after you move those 15 players to the practice squad... but still not enough to bring on JC Jackson IMO.
                    You rather pay Bosa 28 million or Mack 17.75 million?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Agreed it’s a passing league, but they lost to the Raiders because they couldn’t stop the run even when they knew it was coming. I’m not totally in on the Jordan Davis wagon, though I wouldn’t be completely upset. I am all in on Devonte Wyatt though. I love his size and quickness. Wyatt, resign Jones and sign SJD, and that would be a great start to rebuilding the Dline.
                      It all comes down to whether they sign a #1 CB in FA, imo. If not - CB is priority as long as they do something for the IDL. JJ also becomes a must resign. Wyatt instead of Davis - can see coaches going with more speed and positional versatility. Can also see them just saying fuck this shit, we haven’t had a force in the middle in 13 years, I’m plugging the A gap for good and will worry about the rest with the other 10 players.

Mack opposite Joey will help outside rush defense a lot. He’s not just a quick outside rusher, he’s strong. That adds to the importance of sealing the middle. Who does that better - Wyatt or Davis? I think Davis but understand the 2-down concerns. Tillery is still here for 3rd down, he might be fresher and faster if he’s not playing more downs.

But As i started, it all hinges on signing a CB1 before the draft. I’m not sure there will be a CB1 at 17, what say yee TPB? Gardner and Stingley will both be gone.
                      - McDuffie? He’s more suited for zone, I think CB1 should have lockdown man skills. Some mocks have him gone too
                      - Elam? Most rate him a CB2 i think.

Who?

I like the idea of Bobby Wagner, but definitely solve CB1 first
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

They didn’t play in the Superbowl either.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

The Chargers have spent 9 years applying the model to not spend big on a couple big impact FAs but instead sign a larger number of mid-level FAs. It hasn’t worked. Maybe lets try the other approach. CB1 is critical in AFCW - juggle and adjust CAP numbers somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                          X