• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Two players that have already started generating a ton of buzz early on this season are offensive tackle Ikem Ekwonu and running back Zonovan Knight. The two third-year standouts will both be eligible for the 2022 NFL Draft and are considered Top 100 players in the class, according to Pro Football Focus.

Ekwonu continues to move up the rankings after his strong first three weeks, coming in at No. 20 on the list. Currently slotted as a left tackle for the Wolfpack, he has ideal size for a guard at the NFL left with a 6-foot-4, 320 pound frame after three years with the Pack.

Here's a look at Michael Renner's breakdown of Ekwonu's draft stock:
    “Icky” has taken his physical dominance to another level this year. He’s allowed only one pressure through three games at left tackle and earned a 91.6 run-blocking grade. He may be a guard in the NFL, but he’ll be a bully no matter where he lines up.

Ekwonu's overall blocking grade of 91.9 puts him as the No. 2 tackle in the country among those who have played at least 100 snaps through the first three weeks. The only offensive tackles PFF currently has ahead of Ekwonu on the list are Evan Neal of Alabama and Kenyon Green of Texas A&M.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

We need mean. We need a tonesetter. This man brings it to the table.

Ikem Ekwonu, NC State OG | NFL Draft Scouting Report

By Oliver Hodgkinson

June 29, 2021

What's in this article? Click to show

His name translates as “my effort will not go in vain,” and he’s been described as “the most feared lineman in the ACC” ahead of this college football season. But don’t be fooled by his smiling, bespectacled, off-field demeanor — North Carolina State offensive guard Ikem Ekwonu is a violent game-changer who is one of the best interior offensive linemen in the 2022 NFL Draft class. So does he have the potential to be a first-round pick next spring? Let’s examine his scouting report to find out!
      Ikem Ekwonu NFL Draft Profile
      • Position: Offensive Guard
      • School: North Carolina State
      • Current Year: Junior
      • Height: 6’4″
      • Weight: 320 pounds

Ikem Ekwonu Scouting Report

Although he may not be considered a household name just yet, Ekwonu is making waves in the scouting community and the NC State OG’s scouting report details why.
      There is a reason why he’s been labeled “the most feared lineman in the ACC.” One of the critical components of player evaluation is ascertaining competitive toughness, and Ekwonu has enough to fuel three players. He looks to finish every play devastatingly, and more often than not, he is successful with dramatic consequences. There were multiple examples in the games studied — North Carolina, Miami, Wake Forest, and Duke — but one play where he shows blatant disregard for Hurricanes safety Bubba Bolden sticks in mind the most.
      Ekwonu is a good old-fashioned mauler who does his best work in the phone booth that is the interior offensive line. His high school wrestling experience is apparent in how he goes into combat as a run blocker. Furthermore, run blocking allows him to demonstrate impressive athletic tendencies. He can get out to the second level and routinely forces the issue downfield, as Bolden will attest.
      In addition to the violence he brings in the ground game, Ekwonu demonstrates a vicious and powerful punch in pass protection.
      Finally, having played both left tackle and left guard in his NC State career, Ekwonu provides valuable versatility. For me, he has the potential to be the Alijah Vera-Tucker of the 2022 NFL Draft class. By that, I mean he can probably play offensive tackle in the NFL. However, he is far more likely to have a successful career as a potentially exceptional guard at the next level.
      Areas for improvement

The reasons that I foresee Ekwonu as a guard prospect in the 2022 NFL Draft show up in the areas for improvement section of his scouting report.
      There’s no escaping that his ability in pass protection is behind his run-blocking prowess. He allowed 25 pressures and 7 sacks last season, which leaves some room for significant improvement. But, as much as statistical analysis shouldn’t be the basis for player evaluation, tape study shows some of the reasons why Ekwonu struggled in pass protection.
      Despite having a powerful punch and extremely violent hands, he needs to be more consistent with his hand placement. Additionally, Ekownu needs also to show consistency with the timing of his punch. There were examples where he was too late getting his hands on his opponent, losing the rep before it even started.
      Ekwonu also displayed examples of carrying his weight over his toes in pass protection. Thus, he can be guilty of lunging at his opponent, losing his balance, and ultimately losing the battle.
      Ekwonu’s Player ProfileEkwonu’s career at NC State

While Ekwonu was impressed by NC State, head coach Dave Doeren had been even more impressed by his new OG. Doeren described the young offensive lineman’s high school performances as “one of the most impressive performances I’ve ever seen by a lineman.”
      Ekwonu immediately translated his high school potential into results on the college level. Although he started the season at left guard, he became the first true freshman to start at left tackle for the program since 2010. He led the team with 37 pancakes, recording 7 in games against Louisville and Georgia Tech.
      His ability was recognized both internally and outside of the NC State building. Ekwonu was named the Philip Rivers Rookie of the Year. Meanwhile, he was a co-recipient of the John Ritcher Offensive Lineman of the Year Award. Furthermore, he was named to the FWAA Freshman All-American team and received second-team All-ACC honors.
      Despite the disruption of the 2020 college football season, Ekwonu showed no signs of a sophomore slump. Following a dominant performance against Duke, he was named the co-ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week. His statistical production was outstanding. Ekwonu totaled 50 pancake blocks and 22 knockdowns. As impressive as the output was, his ability to switch between OG and OT was awe-inspiring. As a result, he earned second-team All-ACC recognition at both positions.
      Being “the most feared lineman in the ACC” is not hyperbole. Ekwonu’s ability and desire to finish a play with savagery are evident on every snap. Despite sitting behind Texas A&M’s Kenyon Green as the top guard in the 2022 NFL Draft class, Ekwonu should earn first-round consideration next April, becoming the first NC State interior offensive lineman to be drafted since Garrett Bradbury.

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Prospect Rank - Offensive Line

Evan NealOL Alabama
        Kenyon GreenOL Texas A&M
        Ikem EkwonuOT NC State
        Dohnovan WestOL Arizona State
        Charles CrossOL Mississippi State
        Tyler Linderbaum...OL Iowa
        Jamaree SalyerOL Georgia
        Jaxson KirklandOL Washington
        Emil Ekiyor Jr....OL Alabama
        Nick FordC Utah
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

More than a 50% "disappointing" rate on 1st round DTs. And very few "good" ones.

I've lowered my standards on what I'd like to see in a DT. I want a big guy who can reset the OL backwards. I want a big guy who can tackle. That's it. Forget pass rush, forget sacks. Just a guy who's going to take it hard at the OL. And a later round pick seems to be the best place to get that guy since I don't require a pass rusher.

Another "two tons of fun" would be a great addition for me.

6 DTs were taken in 2019 including our very own Jerry Tillery. A lot of publicity went to them before the draft, not one has made the pro bowl though.

NFL draft Defensive Tackle Prospects - Success Rates in the NFL

By - Fitz
          • Wednesday, August 4, 2021
          Defensive tackle looks like being one of the more risky positions to draft.

Looking at first round defensive tackle draft picks over the past decade or so and there are an awful lot of picks that teams would likely like to have back. As with the review of QB picks, they are ranked as to whether they are 'disappointing' (this covers everything from complete busts through to players that are not viewed as quality starters - the minimum you would want to get from a first round pick), to OK (players that look like decent starters or that have potential to improve) through to 'Good' players - quality starters and beyond.
          It is clear that 2010 saves this particular group from looking even worse with Gerald McCoy and Ndamukong Suh adding almost half of the top tier DT draft picks from this period.
          Year Total Disappointing OK Good
          2010 5 2 1 2
          2011 4 4 0 0
          2012 2 0 1 1
          2013 4 2 2 0
          2014 2 1 0 1
          2015 2 2 0 0
          2016 4 3 0 1
          2017 0 0 0 0
          2018 3 2 1 0
          2019 6 2 4 0
          Total 32 18 9 5
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

PFF’s 2022 NFL Draft Rankings: Top 10 players at every position

Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
              PFF’s 2022 NFL Draft Rankings: Top 10 players at every position

QB * X - glad we aren't lookin' for one of 'em for next year
              RB ??
              Garret Wilson * OMG !! ....is he an injury concern ??
              George Pickens ??
              Trey McBride can block a little, eh....
              Otton to Rd 3 ??
              Evan Neal * ouch
              Linderbaum * trainwreck(er)
              RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                beachcomber Our boy ZTF played about 10 snaps tonight in his first game back from the achilles. He looked a explosive, but a little rusty. I counted 2 pressures in his limited play.
                Looks like I was right about ZTF playing 10 snaps, but he got 4 pressures not 2. Pretty impressive.

From https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/.amp/mo...e-up-the-draft
                After an incredible recovery, ZTF made his debut on Saturday against UCLA. In only ten snaps, Tupuola-Fetui had four pressures, picking up where he left off in 2020. It wouldn't be shocking to see him end up going first if he continues this success. The fact that he was coming off of that injury and looked as good as Tupuola-Fetui did against an excellent offensive line is phenomenal. Tupuola-Fetui slimmed down to 260 and is a freak of nature. He has superstar written all over him.
                Last edited by Bolt Dude; 10-18-2021, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

2022 NFL Mock Draft: Kayvon Thibodeaux goes No. 1 to Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles stock up on offensive weapons

by Trevor Sikkema, PFF
                  Oct 20, 2021

NFL mock drafts have varying purposes, and it can be frustrating for the fans who don’t like to see any before the month of March when they don't know exactly what that purpose is.
                  The point of this mock draft — and any mock draft during the season — isn’t for player-to-team accuracy. Some of that exists, but the draft order and team needs will change far too much for that to be the main focus at this time of year. Instead, this mock is all about giving those who are already “on to next year” an early peek at where their team stands in the draft order and a handful of names to know as the college football season starts to wind down and 2022 NFL Draft season starts to heat up.
                  This is much more of a “what I would do” mock draft, with a focus on introducing some of the best players I've scouted in this upcoming draft class. If you think your team might need a cornerback, here are some prospects who are showing first-round tape. If your team needs trench players, here is where the class is strongest and where the sweet spots for them might be. And, of course, we’ll gauge which quarterbacks will rule the headlines leading up to draft weekend.
                  It’s never too early to think about how your favorite NFL team can improve or examine the next draft class. Here are the players and teams to watch as we approach the home stretch of the 2021 college football season.
                  The draft order is determined by record, with strength of schedule used as a tiebreaker. The PFF rank and remaining schedule have been taken from PFF's power rankings tool. The remaining schedule is ordered from toughest (1st) to easiest (32nd).
                  Click here for more PFF tools:
                  1. DETROIT LIONS: EDGE KAYVON THIBODEAUX, OREGON

Record: 0-6
                  Strength of Schedule: .590
                  PFF Rank: 32nd
                  Remaining Schedule: 28th
                  The 6-foot-5, 260-pound Thibodeaux has been turning heads since his true freshman season, and he’s been at his best in his first draft-eligible year. He’s missed some time due to injury, but his 91.6 pass-rush grade is top-10 in the country. With no quarterback in the first overall pick conversation this year, most signs point to Thibodeaux being the first player taken.
                  2. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (via MIA): CB DEREK STINGLEY JR., LSU

Record: 1-5
                  Strength of Schedule: .459
                  PFF Rank: 27th
                  Remaining Schedule: 3rd
                  Stingley’s junior season has fallen somewhat short of expectations. He has missed time due to a foot injury and likely won’t play another game after undergoing surgery.
                  Don’t let Stingley's struggles — and the struggles of LSU's defense as a whole — sway you from believing how talented he is. Back in 2019, Stingley put up some of the best tape we’ve ever seen from a true freshman cornerback. He earned an elite 91.7 grade while being honored as a consensus All-American. He is still the cover-corner jewel of the 2022 draft class, giving you the length, speed and style for press-man schemes.
                  <span data-mce-type="bookmark" style="display: inline-block; width: 0px; overflow: hidden; line-height: 0;" class="mce_SELRES_start"></span>
                  3. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: OT EVAN NEAL, ALABAMA

Strength of Schedule: .465
                  PFF Rank: 30th
                  Remaining Schedule: 13th
                  On 468 snaps this season, the former five-star recruit has allowed only eight total pressures and hasn’t given up a single sack. At 6-foot-7, 370 pounds, Neal is a rare blend of size and athleticism for the position.
                  4. HOUSTON TEXANS: S KYLE HAMILTON, NOTRE DAME

Strength of Schedule: .470
                  PFF Rank: 31st
                  Remaining Schedule: 13th
                  Few players on either side of the ball have stood out more than Notre Dame’s Kyle Hamilton this season. So far this year, the versatile safety has played 88 snaps in the box, 232 at slot corner, six at outside corner and 118 at free safety. He’s that next Jeremy Chinn/Isaiah Simmons kind of defensive chess piece.
                  I won’t do much team analysis because the team needs will change between now and then. And I don’t have a quarterback here because we have no idea how the Watson situation will develop. Plus, this quarterback class doesn’t have a clear-cut top-10 guy, even though we know the NFL will likely force one anyway.customizable mock draft simulator gives you the opportunity to be the GM for any team in the 2022 NFL Draft. Try it today — it's free!5. NEW YORK GIANTS: EDGE AIDAN HUTCHINSON, MICHIGAN

Strength of Schedule: .540
                  PFF Rank: 28th
                  Remaining Schedule: 21st
                  It is hard to find many, if any, players in college football who have earned more money this season than Michigan’s Aidan Hutchinson. The Michigan star was a fringe top-50 player entering the season, but thanks to a relentless motor, strong hands and ideal size at 6-foot-5, 270 pounds, he now sees his name in the top-10s.
                  No edge defender in the country has a higher overall grade than Hutchinson's 92.6, which includes an 86.2 grade against the run and 92.1 grade as a pass-rusher.
                  6. NEW YORK JETS: CB AHMAD GARDNER, CINCINNATI

Strength of Schedule: .440
                  PFF Rank: 29th
                  Remaining Schedule: 8th
                  How about these for shutdown stats? Among corners who have played more than 500 snaps since 2020, Cincinnati’s Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner has allowed the fewest yards (268), fewest first downs (12), and he has not allowed a single touchdown over that span.
                  He’s got the stats, the size at 6-foot-1 and 190 pounds, and the speed to succeed on the outside at the next level for a team that plays a lot of man coverage. He also doesn’t just play on one side of the field.
                  7. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: OT IKEM EKWONU, N.C. STATE

Record: 2-4
                  Strength of Schedule: .459
                  PFF Rank: 21st
                  Remaining Schedule: 14th
                  N.C. State’s massive left tackle Ikem Ekwonu has been stellar on the blindside this season. First and foremost, he brings serious size to the position at 6-foot-4 and 320 pounds. Before this season, he knew how to be a bully in the run game, posting an 85.0 run-blocking grade in 2019 and a 91.2 run-blocking grade last season. This season, he's taken that strength and finessed it into the passing game, as well, leaping in pass-blocking grade from 55.3 last season to 83.4. He’s now establishing himself as a total-package offensive tackle.

8. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: OL TYLER LINDERBAUM, IOWA

Strength of Schedule: .469
                  PFF Rank: 26th
                  Remaining Schedule: 1st
                  Tyler Linderbaum entered the season as one of the top prospects in the country, and so far it’s all status quo for the Iowa center.
                  Linderbaum finished last season with a 91.5 overall grade and somehow got even better this year, recording a 93.1 grade through seven weeks. His quick movements and excellent core strength give him the flexibility to succeed in any kind of blocking scheme and certainly gives you the zone-run ability from the middle if you want it.
                  PFF's 2022 NFL Draft Guide provides analysis, strengths/weaknesses, comparisons, grades and more for all of college football's top prospects. Subscribe today for access…9. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (via IND): WR CHRIS OLAVE, OHIO STATE

Strength of Schedule: .490
                  PFF Rank: 19th
                  Remaining Schedule: 1st
                  There are so many good wide receivers in the country and the draft class this year, but few — if any — make it look as smooth and as easy as Olave does. I would have put money on the Buckeyes receiver being a late first-round pick last year, and this year he’s continued to expand his first-round tape. He has posted a PFF grade above 83.0 in each of the last three seasons.
                  10. NEW YORK JETS (via SEA): WR TREYLON BURKS, ARKANSAS

Strength of Schedule: .535
                  PFF Rank: 13th
                  Remaining Schedule: 10th
                  Burks’ 81.3 receiving grade in 2021 is lower than his 88.9 grade from last season, but don’t let those few points sway your mind from thinking he’s not a potential WR1 in the NFL. Receivers simply do not move at the speed and explosiveness at which Burks does at his size of 6-foot-3, 225 pounds.
                  11. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM: QB MALIK WILLIS, LIBERTY

Strength of Schedule: .540
                  PFF Rank: 25th
                  Remaining Schedule: 24th
                  The last time an NFL team picked the first quarterback off the board this low was in 2013 when the Buffalo Bills took E.J. Manuel at No. 16 overall. In fact, that’s the only time since 2001 a quarterback hasn’t been picked in the top 10.
                  With that said, it’s unlikely we’ll have to wait this long to see the first quarterback taken, but this class hasn’t really given us a sure-fire standout for the top 10, let alone one who would go No. 1 like we’ve seen most years.
                  If any quarterback is going to capture the draft with a high selection, it feels like Willis can be that guy. The Liberty product is that alluring combination of athleticism and traits, with a rocket arm and a ball-carrying ability like a running back. He’s late to the game as a starter, as this is just his second season as a college starter after being a backup at Auburn for two seasons. Now at Liberty, he has a 92.0 overall grade this season with an 89.7 passing grade and an incredible 95.1 rushing grade. The lack of consistent accuracy and ball placement feels like the only thing holding him back from being QB1 in this class.
                  12. ATLANTA FALCONS: IDL JORDAN DAVIS, GEORGIA

Record: 2-3
                  Strength of Schedule: .439
                  PFF Rank: 24th
                  Remaining Schedule: 18th
                  Find me 15 better college football players than Jordan Davis. You can’t.
                  People will push back on him being a top-10 or even a top-20 pick because he’s a defensive tackle/nose tackle who doesn’t play that flashy 3-tech pass-rushing style that gets you drafted high at that position.
                  But here’s the thing: this guy plays like Thanos vs. Thor, Captain America and Ironman in Avengers: Endgame. Throw your best at him, throw multiple people at him — it doesn’t matter. He’s bigger, he’s stronger, and he deserves to be one of the top players chosen in this class.
                  PFF's Player Props Tool leverages PFF's Fantasy Football Projections to reveal betting opportunities within player prop markets.13. MIAMI DOLPHINS (via SF): WR DRAKE LONDON, USC

Record: 2-3
                  Strength of Schedule: .525
                  PFF Rank: 12th
                  Remaining Schedule: 15th
                  Contested-catchers make draft scouts nervous. After all, how much do you really want to sit here and bet on a guy who isn’t great at separation to make a contested catch consistently? Math would tell you that’s a bad bet. Drake London would tell you you’re wrong.
                  The USC product currently leads the country in contested catches with 18 — eight more than the next-closest player. His 16 forced missed tackles after the catch is also the best in the nation. If there’s a contested-catch receiver to go after in this class, it’s the 6-foot-5, 210 pound London.
                  14. DENVER BRONCOS: DL DEMARVIN LEAL, TEXAS A&M

Record: 3-3
                  Strength of Schedule: .485
                  PFF Rank: 22nd
                  Remaining Schedule: 21st
                  Leal brings a ton of versatility to the defensive line, as he has played 143 snaps at defensive tackle, 23 at nose tackle, 33 at defensive end and 223 as a pass-rushing outside linebacker. His movement skills at 6-foot-4 and 290 pounds give him the potential to be a top-15 selection.
                  15. CAROLINA PANTHERS: IOL KENYON GREEN, TEXAS A&M

Strength of Schedule: .495
                  PFF Rank: 23rd
                  Remaining Schedule: 32nd
                  Green brings both versatility and experience to the entire offensive line. So far this season, he’s played 81 snaps at left tackle, 112 at left guard, 106 at right guard and 142 at right tackle. He’s a unique swing lineman with starter qualities at each spot.
                  16. NEW YORK GIANTS (via CHI): OT CHARLES CROSS, MISSISSIPPI STATE

Strength of Schedule: .554
                  PFF Rank: 20th
                  Remaining Schedule: 26th
                  Cross is a long and athletic offensive lineman with a ton of potential. He’s still a bit of a work in progress, but he’s a consistent starter at left tackle, and he has looked better and better with each season, going from grades in the 60s last season to an 81.2 overall grade in 2021.
                  PFF Greenline uses exclusive game and player data to make projections on NFL game spreads, moneyline, and over/under.17. CLEVELAND BROWNS: EDGE DRAKE JACKSON, USC

Strength of Schedule: .569
                  PFF Rank: 9th
                  Remaining Schedule: 19th
                  There was a lot of summer hype for Jackson in terms of the upcoming college football season and an audition for the NFL draft, and he has lived up to it. His 88.8 pass-rush grade is second in the Pac-12, behind only Kayvon Thibodeaux, and it’s a top-20 mark for all pass-rushers in the country who have played more than 100 pass-rush snaps. He has a nice blend of length and burst that, at times, gives you Brian Burns vibes.
                  18. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: EDGE KINGSLEY ENAGBARE, SOUTH CAROLINA

Strength of Schedule: .588
                  PFF Rank: 3rd
                  Remaining Schedule: 17th
                  No pass-rusher in the country has a higher pass-rush grade in our system than South Carolina’s Kingsley Enagbare. It’s been against some easier competition, and his production has been more hurries and pressure than it has been sacks.
                  Still, he’s a versatile edge player who can win from his hand in the dirt and from a two-point stance. His inside move is proving to be his bread and butter this season, and the better he’s gotten at attacking the outside shoulder first, the more he’s been able to go to that inside counter. He’s starting to put it all together.
                  19. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: CB KAIIR ELAM, FLORIDA

Strength of Schedule: .574
                  PFF Rank: 15th
                  Remaining Schedule: 18th
                  Elam being this low on a mock draft might turn some heads, as he was getting some top-10 hype before the season. He might end up there, but for now, I still think the top-20 range is his comfort zone.
                  His 65.7 coverage grade so far this season is a bit disappointing after posting coverage grades in the 80s in each of the past two seasons. But at 6-foot-2, 200 pounds, Elam presents the kind of length and athleticism you want to invest in.
                  20. PITTSBURGH STEELERS: QB MATT CORRAL, OLE MISS

Strength of Schedule: .578
                  PFF Rank: 18th
                  Remaining Schedule: 30th
                  Corral’s mock draft range is all over the place. I’ve seen it as high as in the top five, and I’ve seen some mock drafts not even include his name at all. This season marks two years in a row where his play and his grade have been good, and for that, I have to think he’ll be a first-rounder somewhere.
                  Pittsburgh would love to pounce on a young promising quarterback of Corral’s caliber. He’s a big moxie guy who brings a ton of fire to his craft. He also has the arm strength to support that gunslinger mentality, though I have some reservations about his ball velocity and overall arm talent.
                  Sign up to be the first to beta test PFF’s new prototype mobile app!21. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: WR GARRETT WILSON, OHIO STATE

Record: 3-2
                  Strength of Schedule: .495
                  PFF Rank: 8th
                  Remaining Schedule: 23rd
                  Wilson is another player who could be much higher in mock drafts, depending on who the author is. For me, this wide receiver class is so good and so diverse that someone is going to be picked lower than what some fans think is appropriate.
                  Regardless of where his name is in the order, Wilson is a very talented former five-star wide receiver who brings NFL athleticism to the field every time he suits up on Saturdays. He’s a mesh-route machine when it comes to yards after the catch, and he also shows great body control and quick feet when running routes deeper down the field. He’s a three-level threat kind of player.
                  22. BUFFALO BILLS: CB TRENT MCDUFFIE, WASHINGTON

Record: 4-2
                  Strength of Schedule: .378
                  PFF Rank: 2nd
                  Remaining Schedule: 2nd
                  We all thought the Bills were going to attack their CB2 spot last offseason in the draft, and it didn’t happen. Instead, they decided to double-dip on pass rushing. It has proven to be a great choice so far, but you can certainly see them using 2022 resources on a corner. McDuffie plays on a bad Washington team, so he won’t get a ton of national publicity during the season, but just wait until people get to his tape. He’s a feisty outside corner with really nice instincts. Taller corners in this class might force his name down a bit just because he is shorter than 6 feet, but he has still shown first-round ability.
                  23. TENNESSEE TITANS: CB ANDREW BOOTH, CLEMSON

Strength of Schedule: .404
                  PFF Rank: 11th
                  Remaining Schedule: 5th
                  The biggest question mark for Booth going into this season was whether or not he could continue his high level of cornerback play as a full-time starter. Even though Clemson is not the team we thought they would be, Booth has shown flashes of good play. At 6-foot and 195 pounds, he’s an ideal size for an outside cornerback with an aggressive style for takeaways and fantastic ball skills.
                  24. DALLAS COWBOYS: S JORDAN BATTLE, ALABAMA

Record: 5-1
                  Strength of Schedule: .480
                  PFF Rank: 9th
                  Remaining Schedule: 16th
                  At his best, Battle is an impactful safety who offers the versatility to play both free safety and strong safety on any given play, often rotating and responding well to pre-snap motion. His 88.6 overall grade is second-best on the Alabama defense, and his 90.2 coverage grade is the best coverage grade among safeties in all of college football. His best work still comes when he’s playing a slot or strong safety role coming downhill, but he has shown more comfort for deep coverage this season, which could spell a first-round selection.
                  PFF’s WR/CB Matchup Chart is a fantasy football tool that you can use to help you set the best lineups. You can toggle between showing the Matchup Advantage column against all projected coverage or the individual defenders. Click here for access.25. LAS VEGAS RAIDERS: LB DEVIN LLOYD, UTAH

Strength of Schedule: .500
                  PFF Rank: 13th
                  Remaining Schedule: 22nd
                  It's hard to find many defenders who have truly transformed their game like Lloyd has over the past few seasons. He led his team in tackles during his first year as a starting linebacker in 2019, but his coverage grade was 60.2. The following season it was a 65.3 — better but still tough to trust. This season, not only is he still tackling well, but his coverage grade is an impressive 81.2, showing the full transformation of a weakness into a strength to his game.

26. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: OT DARIAN KINNARD, KENTUCKY

PFF Rank: 15th
                  Remaining Schedule: 4th
                  Kinnard is a massive right tackle who can find a home at either tackle or guard at the next level. His powerful phone booth style of play lends itself better to guard, but his experience at right tackle means he can start there in a pinch. He needs to work on his balance more, especially if asked to play more in space on the outside. However, he’s a tone-setter in the run game with an 85.1 run-blocking grade, and his 85.0 pass-blocking grade this season shows improvement in his finesse game, too.

27. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: CB ROGER McCREARY, AUBURN

Strength of Schedule: .454
                  PFF Rank: 1st
                  Remaining Schedule: 9th
                  There aren't many weaknesses on the Buccaneers' roster, so this pick could go any way for the second year in a row. But we are seeing what is happening to their secondary with some injuries mounting up, so why not fortify the depth of that group?
                  McCreary has had the benefit of Auburn not playing the best opponents to start their season, but he has been impressive nonetheless. His 88.3 coverage grade is best on the team and seventh-best in the country among corners who have played at least 100 snaps in coverage. Auburn still has Ole Miss, Texas A&M and Alabama on their schedule, which will be good tests for their CB1.
                  28. DETROIT LIONS (via LAR): QB SAM HOWELL, NORTH CAROLINA

PFF Rank: 7th
                  Remaining Schedule: 11th
                  Howell came into this season with top-five potential, but we always knew it was going to be tough for him. He lost his top two wide receivers in Dazz Newsome and Dyami Brown, plus his top two running backs in Javonte Williams and Michael Carter to the 2021 draft. With this situation, we were wondering how much Howell could elevate the rest of the new cast. He has played fine but hasn’t exactly elevated them to a level where we’re thinking he can consistently do that in the NFL. His 72.2 passing grade is much lower than the 91.5 grade he earned last year. It’s not over for Howell by any means — it’s just not as easy as some hoped it would be to pencil him into the top 10.
                  29. CINCINNATI BENGALS: OT TREVOR PENNING, N. IOWA

Record: 4-1
                  Strength of Schedule: .510
                  PFF Rank: 17th
                  Remaining Schedule: 31st
                  The Bengals? Picking at No. 29 in a mock? You better believe it.
                  Regardless of the early season success from the Bengals, their offensive line is still what needs the most attention. This feels like a perfect excuse to slide in Penning, who is quietly having one of the best seasons of any offensive lineman in college football. His 88.0 pass-blocking grade is one of the best in college football.
                  30. GREEN BAY PACKERS: WR JOHN METCHIE III, ALABAMA

PFF Rank: 6th
                  Remaining Schedule: 27th
                  It’s hard for me to have one of my favorite prospects in the country this low in a mock draft. I think Metchie is the total package. He brings good athleticism to the position, both for route running and yards after the catch. He is tough as nails to bring down on first contact, has good hands in traffic and blocks his ass off. He reminds me a lot of Chris Godwin. I could see him going higher than this, but he is a first-rounder regardless.
                  31. BALTIMORE RAVENS: WR GEORGE PICKENS, GEORGIA

Strength of Schedule: .520
                  PFF Rank: 5th
                  Remaining Schedule: 25th
                  Prior to his unfortunate ACL tear in spring practice this offseason, Pickens was on track for WR1 status. His 6-foot-3, 205-pound frame brought NFL athleticism and strength. Pickens' stock is totally up in the air at this point since we haven’t seen him post-injury. If he can get back to the player he was as a freshman and sophomore, he’ll be a Round 1 talent.
                  32. ARIZONA CARDINALS: EDGE GEORGE KARLAFTIS, PURDUE

Record: 6-0
                  Strength of Schedule: .480
                  PFF Rank: 4th
                  Remaining Schedule: 23rd
                  Karlaftis has been making some serious noise this season, posting an 86.4 overall grade and 87.8 pass-rush grade, both of which are far and away the best of his college career. His hands are fast and strong, and he has a motor that doesn’t stop. At 6-foot-4, 275 pounds, he has the body type to succeed in multiple fronts. Karlaftis is not as imposing with strength as edge rushers of his size have been before, and that’s why his name is lower on this list after such praise. But his 32 total pressures this season speak for themselves.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

I would take Karlaftis over Kinnard in a heartbeat. No way he falls to #32.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                      Draftnik
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

ZTF with another strong showing in limited snaps (18).

1 sack
                      1 TFL
                      3 pressures
                      and drew a holding penalty

Also looked good dropping into coverage.

They’re bringing him back slowly, but so far, the kid’s playing his way back into 1st round consideration. I’ve got him tied with Hutchinson as EDGE-3, right behind Thibodeaux and Karlaftis.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Offseason is a time to fix your greatest problem. Here's my fix.

Scouting the Chargers: A statistical deep dive at the bye week
                        By Daniel Popper Oct 21, 2021

Offense

• The overhauled offensive line has performed very well in pass protection. It is allowing pressures on 19.2 percent of Herbert’s dropbacks, the third-lowest rate in the league. Herbert has been sacked on 4.3 percent of his dropbacks, which is the ninth-lowest rate in the league. The group has done this while facing a pretty heavy dose of four-man rushes. The Chargers have faced blitzes on 22.2 percent of Herbert’s dropbacks, which is the 11th-lowest rate in the league. Storm Norton has largely held his own at right tackle, but losing right guard Oday Aboushi for the season could make this level of protection tough to sustain. Michael Schofield’s performance will be something to monitor in the weeks after the bye.

Defense

Overall, the Chargers rank 22nd in the league in defensive EPA/play. They rank 19th in defensive DVOA.

This should not come as a shock, but the Chargers’ run defense has been the primary culprit. The Chargers rank 31st in the league in EPA/play against the run and rush defense DVOA. The passing defense has been much better in comparison. The Chargers rank 10th in EPA/play against the pass and fifth in pass defense DVOA.

The weakness here is blatant. The Chargers have to improve against the run. Staley’s defensive philosophy is predicated on preventing explosive passes. He starts his game plans with coverages and works from there. And that is a smart way to coach defense in the modern NFL.

• The Chargers pass rush has produced pressure on 6.1 percent of opposing dropbacks, the 13th-highest rate in the league. Joey Bosa is playing at an elite level. His pass-rush productivity, a Pro Football Focus efficiency metric, ranks 11th among all qualified pass rushers. The Chargers need more from their rushers around Bosa, though. Uchenna Nwosu ranks 47th in pass-rush productivity. Tillery ranks 78th. No other qualified Chargers defensive player ranks in the top 100.
                        It's not the offense line that is the problem, although I would definitely continue to add early pick OL talent.

Its the the rushing defense that needs the greatest upgrade followed by more talent at pass rusher.

My primary fix is to stop the run. I do it by getting the best D Tackle I can find/afford in free agency. These guys take years to develop, skip the development time and bring in a guy ready to produce on day 1.

Then my first rounder goes for a pass rushing edge. Pass rush wins games and we are weak there. If Bosa goes down, we are screwed.

My second and third rounders go for the best available OL, preferable an OT, and a big, run stuffing DT. Big, immovable, can stop the run. I don't expect pass rush from my DTs so a run stuffer should be available after the 1st round.

Win the trenches. win games.

Oh, and don't lose quality players to FA. We don't need more holes.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                          Offseason is a time to fix your greatest problem. Here's my fix.

It's not the offense line that is the problem, although I would definitely continue to add early pick OL talent.

Its the the rushing defense that needs the greatest upgrade followed by more talent at pass rusher.

My primary fix is to stop the run. I do it by getting the best D Tackle I can find/afford in free agency. These guys take years to develop, skip the development time and bring in a guy ready to produce on day 1.

Then my first rounder goes for a pass rushing edge. Pass rush wins games and we are weak there. If Bosa goes down, we are screwed.

My second and third rounders go for the best available OL, preferable an OT, and a big, run stuffing DT. Big, immovable, can stop the run. I don't expect pass rush from my DTs so a run stuffer should be available after the 1st round.

Win the trenches. win games.

Oh, and don't lose quality players to FA. We don't need more holes.
                          think one of the best available DTs in FA is already on our roster.... Linval Joseph.

and do think we can get a NT via the draft.... Robert Cooper.

also gonna presume that there is depth to be had @DT as well.

far as a stud ED, not as excited 'bout these guys as the some of you are.... do like Brenton Cox some, and like Tupuola quite a bit, and.... dude is an injury concern.

personally don't think run defense is job/priority one that Popper makes it out to be, as speaking for myself, job one is to maximize Herbert's effectiveness, which starts w/the Oline.... finish the job.

hedge your bets against Linsley, take care of the RT position, and if that means moving Feiler over there, then make sure you nab someone real good in the draft, draft for depth as well, and if you can upgrade Schofield or one of the other vets in FA.... then do it.

for the front seven, we need a rotational NT to pair w/Joseph, need someone opposite the rotation of JJ 'n Jerry, and perhaps someone to spell Nwosu if he ends up somewhere else in FA ??

@LB, we need to decide if Murray is a fit w/Staley's scheme, and if not we need to both draft and look into FA there.

we also need to upgrade our DBs.... a vet corner and some talent @S.

as always, if someone falls to us in the draft.... then no brainer, nab the man.... otherwise, we simply need to continue to find talent as we can in FA, and not bust in the draft.

ps. back 2 Herbert.... we need to make sure he has the horses in the backfield @RB, and in our pass catching corps, 'specially if we lose any of the likes of MW, Guyton, or Cook, or if some of our fledgling talent turns out is not for long @RB or elsewhere ??
                          RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

Working...
                          X