• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    Trading up has been the Kiss of Death for TT.
    trading up for linebackers has been the kiss of death for TT

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Here is an article were Stanley says that he is really confident he can come back from ankle surgery.
      Probably came back too soon. He just signed a huge contract.

Villanueva signed a two year deal to play RT, and the Ravens seemed to like Patrick Mekari.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...-back-from-ank

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

If Charlie Cross is sitting there at #13, i'd be tempted. Baltimore picks next and Ronnie Stanley has missed the last two seasons.
        The Chargers are not one player away - and that would cost a 3rd round pick.

If anything, thinking longer term, Telesco should try to acquire more mid-round picks - cheaper depth

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

If Charlie Cross is sitting there at #13, i'd be tempted. Baltimore picks next and Ronnie Stanley has missed the last two seasons.
          Charlie Cross at #17 is an A+ pick. Another TT steal.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Kiper in his mock today has the Chargers taking Jordan Davis

Dane Brugler of the Athletic has the Chargers taking Penning (OT) and PhiDarian Mathis - IDL from Alabama

I like the Brugler picks - all things equal, getting RT and IDL with picks in R1 and 2 would be excellent
            Popper’s breakdown on Brugler’s mock.

The Athletic’s Dane Brugler dropped his mock draft 2.0 Wednesday, and he had the Chargersselecting Northern Iowa offensive tackle Trevor Penning with the 17th pick in the first round and Alabama defensive tackle Phidarian Mathis with the 48th pick in the second round.

Overall, I think Dane’s assessment of the Chargers’ needs is on track. After Bryan Bulagawent down in Week 1 and underwent what ended up being season-ending core muscle surgery, Storm Norton stepped in as the starting right tackle. And though Norton had promising moments, the former XFL player was a liability, particularly in pass protection. His worst game came in the season finale when he was dominated by Raiders edge rusher Maxx Crosby and gave up 11 pressures. That played a major role in the Chargers missing the playoffs.

In total, Norton allowed 60 pressures on the season, the second most of any tackle in the league, according to Pro Football Focus. He allowed nine sacks, also tied for second most among tackles. And his efficiency numbers were not much better. Norton ranked 53rd of 58 qualified tackles in PFF’s pass protection efficiency, which calculates effectiveness on a per-snap basis.

Bulaga’s Chargers career is likely over. They can save $10.75 million in cap space if they cut him before June 1, according to Over the Cap. Bulaga has played in just 11 of the possible 33 games since the Chargers signed him to a three-year deal in 2020. With Norton in line to start 2022 as the Chargers’ right tackle, it is clear they need an upgrade. Penning — who has tantalizing size at 6-foot-7 and 325 pounds with 35-inch arms — would provide that. The Chargers also have Trey Pipkins as an option. Pipkins showed marked improvement in his limited playing time this season. But he and Norton still project better as depth swing pieces as opposed to reliable starters.

Defensive line was a glaring weakness for the Chargers this season. Their lack of talent and depth up front was the primary reason Brandon Staley’s defense finished as one of the worst units in the league. I think they have to address this position with a premium draft pick and in free agency, on top of re-signing in-house free agents like Justin Jones. Mathis, who hopes to follow a long line of outstanding defensive line pros developed by Nick Saban, fills that need.

In Dane’s mock, Jordan Davis, the towering defensive lineman from Georgia, was available at 17. If he does fall that far, I find it really hard to believe the Chargers would pass him up. They need a solution at right tackle. Don’t get me wrong. But the defensive line is the bigger weakness heading into this offseason, and Davis is the type of run-stuffing presence that could dramatically shift the Chargers’ performance — especially with 33-year-old nose tackle Linval Joseph set to hit free agency.

At his end-of-season news conference, Staley said this about bolstering his defensive front: “It’s going to be the center of our thought process moving forward.” This is a particularly loaded defensive line draft. I think the Chargers will go in that direction in the first round if Davis is available. They can address right tackle later in the draft, or in free agency.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

trading up for linebackers has been the kiss of death for TT
              Yep:

Teo
              AttOUCHu
              Murray

BUST...BUST...BUST...

Comment

• Parcells
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

The issue for us regarding free agency is that we don’t know how the draft will shake out. So with that said, I think we have to do something to upgrade RT in free agency, unless we like so many of the potential tackles that we can live with a run on tackles happening before we get to 17. Personally, I’d vote for a reasonably priced vet and then if the right guy comes to us in round 1 or 2, pull the trigger.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Not sure a reasonably priced vet OT will be out there. Likely someone we’d have to overpay who may - just may - get beat out by the new Pipkins.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
                    The issue for us regarding free agency is that we don’t know how the draft will shake out. So with that said, I think we have to do something to upgrade RT in free agency, unless we like so many of the potential tackles that we can live with a run on tackles happening before we get to 17. Personally, I’d vote for a reasonably priced vet and then if the right guy comes to us in round 1 or 2, pull the trigger.
                    The Chargers got Slater at 13 so I think in R1 or R2 - there will be options for RT available. The names that I think would be available are Morgan Moses or Dennis Kelly in true free agency.

I think I would roll with Pipkins and the draft for RT help. Same with CB. Guys like Carlton Davis from Tampa or the player from NE (if he is not franchised) - could be priced pretty high - not that the Chargers do not have the cap space. But in free agency, looking for two guys to help out Justin Jones. Or maybe Davante Adams

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Charlie Cross at #17 is an A+ pick. Another TT steal.
                      Cross is elite at pass pro, not so strong in run game...and I'm okay with that...

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Bulaga’s Chargers career is likely over. - Daniel Popper

The weeping Frenchman, 1940.jpeg

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                          Bulaga’s Chargers career is likely over. - Daniel Popper

The weeping Frenchman, 1940.jpeg
                          He played half a game - the Chargers cannot risk 11m of cap space on Bulaga.

Comment

Working...
                          X