• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

LMAO! You showed a whopping one highlight where Penning is off balance.

Now for the reality.

https://sobrosnetwork.com/2022/02/04...-wrestlemania/
    I looked at your first 'reality' link. It starts out showing another picture of Penning getting pancaked by a defensive player.
    Nice pick up on your part. It must be another one of those 'outliers'.

Senior Bowl: Trevor Penning Is Destined To Headline Wrestlemania

Penning's destiny is the professional wrestling circuit, after he flops out of football. The sooner he realizes this, the better for him.
    At least in that sport, you get away with holding and cheating and no technique.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2020
      • Oklahoma
      • Send PM

Anyone here have Penning and Jordan Davis in the same clusta?!imp:

Comment

• Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I looked at your first 'reality' link. It starts out showing another picture of Penning getting pancaked by a defensive player.
        Nice pick up on your part. It must be another one of those 'outliers'.

Senior Bowl: Trevor Penning Is Destined To Headline Wrestlemania

Penning's destiny is the professional wrestling circuit, after he flops out of football. The sooner he realizes this, the better for him.
        At least in that sport, you get away with holding and cheating and no technique.
        Again, the reality is that Penning is the player standing and doing the pancaking, not the player falling to the ground.

When you click on the photo in the article, you can see the whole photo, including enough to identify Penning's #70 on the standing player. Even in the partial photo that you posted, you can see that the second digit of the falling player is not a "0", which it would have to be for the falling player to be Penning.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Don't believe you lying eyes!!! Prospect X who had a great week of practice at the senior bowl actually sucks big fat donkey dicks because one video clip out of context supports my personal opinion! So there!
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Again, the reality is that Penning is the player standing and doing the pancaking, not the player falling to the ground.

When you click on the photo in the article, you can see the whole photo, including enough to identify Penning's #70 on the standing player. Even in the partial photo that you posted, you can see that the second digit of the falling player is not a "0", which it would have to be for the falling player to be Penning.

No, clicking the photo did not at all resolve the identity of the player, unless one desperately wishes to read the uniform number one desires.
            Moreover, the player doing the pancaking is wearing knee braces, and as you can see in the gif i provided, with Penning getting pancaked (with a little whipped cream) by Ebiktie, Penning is not wearing knee braces.

And further, there is no defensive lineman on the white National team with a number ending in 5; so that is either Penning throwing another offensive lineman
            down (which would make it very lame), or Penning most likely getting pancaked borrowing another offensive lineman's uniform: his having coffee stains.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
              Don't believe you lying eyes!!! Prospect X who had a great week of practice at the senior bowl actually sucks big fat donkey dicks because one video clip out of context supports my personal opinion! So there!
              This is what i remembered about Penning's performance at the Senior Bowl practices: that he was unsteady in pass protection and improved somewhat as the week went along.

Here is the tape btw: nothing decisive about his performance

Senior Bowl Practice Report (Day One Notes) - Steelers Depot

https://steelersdepot.com › 2022/02 › senior-bowl-pract...
              Feb 1, 2022 — — Penning had a tough time transitioning to the pass protection portion of practice, noticeably struggling with speed around the edge and looked visibly upset with his struggles.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2...national-team/
              The upside pops with Trevor Penning, which was to be expected. He’s a big, physical mauler who has imposing strength and a constant edge. He also showed he could reset his anchor and gather power rushers. However, while Penning is nasty, he’s also uncontrolled. He can be stiff laterally at times and didn’t always match positioning with timing.

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/202...roger-mccreary
              Despite the hype coming into the Senior Bowl, Penning underwhelmed in his first impression for scouts and coaches in attendance. He was consistently beat by smaller speed rushers and even had a rep that would make your mother jump.

Comment

No, clicking the photo did not at all resolve the identity of the player, unless one desperately wishes to read the uniform number one desires.
                Moreover, the player doing the pancaking is wearing knee braces, and as you can see in the gif i provided, with Penning getting pancaked (with a little whipped cream) by Ebiktie, Penning is not wearing knee braces.

And further, there is no defensive lineman on the white National team with a number ending in 5; so that is either Penning throwing another offensive lineman
                down (which would make it very lame), or Penning most likely getting pancaked borrowing another offensive lineman's uniform: his having coffee stains.
                Okay, this is just weak BS on your part at this point. If you go to the article and click on the photo, the standing player is #70. While you cannot see all of the player's number, enough is visible so that anyone can tell that the player standing is #70. That is Penning. And I would invite anyone reading this to go the article and click on the photo and see just how much of an outright falsehood powderblueboy is attempting to pass off as fact here.

Here is the link again:

https://sobrosnetwork.com/2022/02/04...-wrestlemania/

And...the player falling to the ground has what appears to be a "5" as his second jersey number, which is clearly not Penning.

The player falling to the ground is an OL player as not all drills are offense versus defense.

Also, there were multiple days of practice and multiple drills. Certainly, it is possible for a player to wear knee braces for one drill and not for one or more others, especially if they occur on different days.

Finally, your bias against Penning is absolutely pathetic. When you thought it was Penning falling to the ground, the player was "getting pancaked". But once it is clear that Penning is player doing the pancaking, now the pancaking player is "throwing" the player falling down.

Comment

This is what i remembered about Penning's performance at the Senior Bowl practices: that he was unsteady in pass protection and improved somewhat as the week went along.
                  Well, I do not find it shocking in the least that Petersen (BFTB) got something wrong. That is not exactly a "unique" occurrence for him.

The Senior Bowl Practice Report you cited noted minor technique issues among other positive traits. I would not disagree that those issues can be present at times. Penning is not as polished as Slater, but he is a more powerful player, which is why I think he is a better RT than LT for us. But he is also a player that can play LT effectively if called upon to do so. I do not think he would play LT quite as well as Slater (which could be said about 90+% of the starting LTs in the NFL right now), but he could play LT like a legitimate starting LT would.

Naturally, you omitted the positive comments made in the Steelers Depot article about Penning having great leg drive and finish and about his nastiness as an OL player.

Penning's tested speed and movement skills speak for themselves. He had the fastest 3 cone drill of all OL players and he came within one one-hundredth of a second of having the fastest 40 among all OL players at the combine. Any notion that he is somehow a "big slow guy" is out of touch with reality. His 3 cone is better than Slater's (by nearly a quarter of a second) and his 40 is one one-hundredth slower. He should be fine in pass protection, especially for a RT.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Penning was voted best OL on the National team. The National team OL generally got whooped so that in itself isn't saying much. He lost several reps, some badly. He showed the same issues he had on his film: wide hand placement and a tendency to open his outside hip. He was also quite grabby even on the clips people were sharing about him, again highlighting his tendency to get called for holds.

This can all be corrected, but don't pretend he had stellar practices.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leslie Grossman
                      The guy doing the pancaking in knee braces is too tall, huge, and white to be Ebekitie lol...look at his arm. Ebekitie only measured 6'2 tall.
                      In the other clip Penning is 76 not 75. Can't be sure it's Penning pancaking here but it probably is on another SB day, but it is not him getting pancaked. My guess is Cade Mays who had a disappointing SB. Pancaked guy looks shorter and not quite as big.
                      Penning is actually #70. So, if #76 is getting pancaked, that is Raimann, not Penning. The Ebiketie pancake play shown in this thread is small with no full screen option that I observed, so are you saying that that player is #76 (Raimann) and not #70 (Penning)? In that video posted by powederblueboy, it is difficult to tell for sure.

As for when Penning pancakes the player in the article I cited, I think a little common sense goes a long way here. The article is written about Penning and the number shown when clicking on the photo appears to be more than half of #70 (which makes sense since the article is about him and not someone else).

Here is the National Team roster supporting what I have said:

Comment

• Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                        Penning was voted best OL on the National team. The National team OL generally got whooped so that in itself isn't saying much. He lost several reps, some badly. He showed the same issues he had on his film: wide hand placement and a tendency to open his outside hip. He was also quite grabby even on the clips people were sharing about him, again highlighting his tendency to get called for holds.

This can all be corrected, but don't pretend he had stellar practices.
                        Penning was noted as having good practices by multiple sources. I just agree with them on the whole, but acknowledge that he was beaten on a few plays too, which eventually happens to all OL players as other posters have noted.

And I also agree with you about Penning having some technique issues as I have said previously. I like what he brings to the table as a potential starting RT for us. I am assuming higher ranked OTs (Neal, Ekwonu, Cross) will be off the board when we go to pick at #17.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Penning is from Clear Lake, Iowa. I fished that lake as a kid as my mom was from around there. Clear Lake was where Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper died in a plane crash. Waylon Jennings declined to fly and took the bus. Don McLean memorialized it in “American Pie”.

pass

Comment

Working...
                          X