Clear All
  • Bearded14YourPleasure
    Fluent in Sarcasm
    • Jun 2013
    • Iowa
    • Man of the People
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

I agree with this ^ and I’ve been spouting the same reasons. The Mack signing certainly changes the dynamics—Bosa may suffer less fatigue because he won’t be fighting double and triple teams all game long—but in today’s NFL it’s becoming more and more vital to have 3 starting quality pass rushers. Just look at Buffalo.

If one of the top edges falls (including Karlaftis, but maybe not Ojabo) I would pounce—over Penning, (not over Cross) and over the CBs that may fall.
    I’m not sold that Karlaftis is a fit for what Staley wants in his Edges but I definitely agree with keeping an eye out on the early edge market. If we do trade down I think Ojabo becomes more of an option, but not at 17. Honestly with all the talk of Thibodeaux falling out of the top 10 I’ve been thinking of trading up for him as opposed to one of the OTs as has been discussed. A three headed pass rush of Mack, Bosa, and KT would be hard to beat.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

I’m not sold that Karlaftis is a fit for what Staley wants in his Edges but I definitely agree with keeping an eye out on the early edge market. If we do trade down I think Ojabo becomes more of an option, but not at 17. Honestly with all the talk of Thibodeaux falling out of the top 10 I’ve been thinking of trading up for him as opposed to one of the OTs as has been discussed. A three headed pass rush of Mack, Bosa, and KT would be hard to beat.
      I’m more leery than most when it comes to achilles injuries. Not saying that Ojabo won’t recover, but I’m not rolling the dice.

On the other hand, I’m sold on Karlaftis. I think his skill set is similar to Bosa. His hand fighting is elite. Not the bendiest but his power and use of leverage makes him great against the run. Plus, he’s got that inside/outside versatility that will come in handy on 3rd down speed rush packages. He’s the perfect guy to spell either Bosa or Mack while not dropping our pants against the run.

I have no idea what Karlaftis did to warrant the drop in draft status among pundits. He’s a top 10 talent in this draft.
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

There's no way we're going into next year with 3 edge players.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
          There's no way we're going into next year with 3 edge players.
          Right now we have 5 on the roster plus some decent 3t-5t Tillery, Gaziano.
          It's not a priority but talent options available could make a new edge happen.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Edge is definitely higher PON than IDL. Mack missed significant time last year, Bosa seems to always miss some time. Also a healthy pass rush rotation helps close out games, tired of seeing an exhausted Bosa on the sideline in crucial situations in the 4th quarter. I love the starting duo of Mack and Bosa but Rumph as the first option off the bench definitely has me worried, especially should he need to start a game.

I also don’t see how Wyatt mirrors the Slater pick. We have starters already across the DL, that was not the case on the OL last year. I think we probably add another body at DL in the draft but I don’t see the value of addressing it before day 3 with who we currently have in that room. Nothing against Wyatt as a prospect, I think he will be very productive at the next level, but he’s not going to come in and have a Slater-like effect on this team.
            We didn’t have Staley’s starters on the DL last year, remember? Last in league stopping the run. I’m going to cut bearded one 14 slack because Fouts was my boyhood hero growing up in Eugene Oregon, well before Pre, anyway, would you agree the DL is being completely overhauled? Just like last year and the offensive line. Slater is the foundation piece moving forward. Wyatt is the Dl foundation piece moving forward & would also next five years. Continuity.

I threw out a 3rd rd edge prospect that should be in cluster to consider. But Chargers did draft Rumph, early 4th last season. Generating pass rush can now come from multiple positions. Wyatt is an excellent interior pass rusher. He also is excellent run stopper, adding to the new front, Bosa/Wyatt/Johnson/Day/Mack teams will have to throw the ball to convert 3rd downs. Same unique opportunity to solidify what once was below league average group.

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Right now we have 5 on the roster plus some decent 3t-5t Tillery, Gaziano.
              It's not a priority but talent options available could make a new edge happen.
              Egbule and Jamal Davis are PS players used to backfill the bottom of the roster when injuries occur. Neither are opening day active roster players. Counting equivalents to them we would also have 6 ILB, 8 WR, and like 10 DBs, and no PONs anywhere.

Gaziano is a backup 4i.

There are 3 active roster edge rushers on the roster.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

I agree with this ^ and I’ve been spouting the same reasons. The Mack signing certainly changes the dynamics—Bosa may suffer less fatigue because he won’t be fighting double and triple teams all game long—but in today’s NFL it’s becoming more and more vital to have 3 starting quality pass rushers. Just look at Buffalo.

If one of the top edges falls (including Karlaftis, but maybe not Ojabo) I would pounce—over Penning, (not over Cross) and over the CBs that may fall.
                I fully agree except I've never thought that Cross could be available at 17. So to me, when I consider who I may rather pick than a RT, I'm thinking of Penning, who would I rather have than Penning? An excellent Edge like Karlaftis would please me.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Edge is higher PON, even with Khalil Mack?

Wyatt completes DL PON. Is higher graded than Day or Johnson yet their experience invaluable to Wyatt transition to the NFL and gives Chargers dynamic Dl rotation and depth. Fulfilling Brandon Staley’s vision of complete and deep line of scrimmage team. Now he could double down in third round and get better value to address 3rd edge? Someone like VT, Amare’ Barno a 6-6 250lb edge with speed and length, better prospect than Chris Rumph. That would fill that need as well.

Wyatt #17 would mirror Slater pick #13. Last year, 2021, Staley built OL around Herbert via free agency first, Linsley, Feiler and Aboushi, then 1st rd pick Rashawn Slater. 2022, Sebastian Joseph Day, Austin Johnson and Khalil Mack. Go with best interior Lineman Devonte Wyatt in first.
                  Yes, I think it is, Mack is coming back from a serious injury that cost him 11 games last year. Bosa has struggled with concussions in recent years. The rams traded a ton for von miller to make superbowl run and they already had a stable of pass rushers. Pass rushers are like CBs you have to have quality depth at those positions
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

I would love to go into next year with 3 superior Edges. Pass rush wins in this league. Keep our Edges fresh.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Thibodeaux is indeed plummeting, but I’m not convinced he’ll drop all the way to #17. Boye Mafe is rising so fast I'm beginning to see him mocked all the way up to #23, I like him a ton but not at #17. Ebiketi is also rising, he reminds me of Melvin Ingram but he might have more technique early in his career.

speaking of Melvin, why aren’t we talking about bringing him back to be the 3rd guy with Nwosu gone? He got 4.5mil last year and I’m not convinced he’ll get more than that this year, just a thought…
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

I have Karlaftis ranked in the second round, it’s only because there are so many talented Edge players this year

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Yes, I think it is, Mack is coming back from a serious injury that cost him 11 games last year. Bosa has struggled with concussions in recent years. The rams traded a ton for von miller to make superbowl run and they already had a stable of pass rushers. Pass rushers are like CBs you have to have quality depth at those positions
                          So pass on PON and BPA because another PON is greater, even though value doesn’t match up?

Comment

Working...
                          X