• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Honestly, I like back-ups Chris Rumph and Christian Covington better than what we have starting at RT (Pipkins/Norton).
    No way am I willingly exposing Justin Herbert to Chandler Jones, Maxx Crosby, Frank Clark, Bradley Chubb, and whoever else may be drafted by our foes... just because there may be an injury (or not) to Bosa/Mack...

We are a line of scrimmage team... right now, there's only 1 glaring hole along the line of scrimmage....
    Wow, you have a really high opinion of rookie OL. As far as blocking against pro bowl pass rushers, not sure there’s much difference between some of the first round OL guys and OL I see mocked in the third. Raimann might be my favorite first round OL, just cuz of his maturity. Not sure I’d draft him at 17 at the expense of a McDuffie or Olave or (high hoping here) J. Johnson.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

They're *also* one Herb ACL tear from having the entire season go down the toilet!

Fix the trenches. Beef before gazelles.
      Every team has that worry. No QBs will go un-hit. Getting rid of the ball quick is your best feature but sometimes they will get hit.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Wow, you have a really high opinion of rookie OL. As far as blocking against pro bowl pass rushers, not sure there’s much difference between some of the first round OL guys and OL I see mocked in the third. Raimann might be my favorite first round OL, just cuz of his maturity. Not sure I’d draft him at 17 at the expense of a McDuffie or Olave or (high hoping here) J. Johnson.
        Boltnut has always been a OL trencher every year. I don't necessarily disagree about Green but I do not think DT will be our pick at 17......and I didn't want Covington back either so we'll see.

I'm not stressing about our pick. To me seems Green would be a good pick but whatever position get get I'm fine with. DL just seems the unlikeliest of picks there.

Comment

• electricgold
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

[QUOTE=powderblueboy;n1340543]

Whose left in free agency that can supplement this draft?

I see a number of holes that they won't be able to fill in the draft (chances of 6th/7th rounders playing key backup roles is like being struck by lightning)

[/QUOTE}

Yep, but remember TT in the past has addressed issues when the players cuts happened after the draft. There should be some serviceable Olineman and maybe CB's, LB's on the market and sometimes some major surprises. Maybe they really do draft the BPA available with each pick with the hope maybe a vet could be there after the draft... It will be based on who is on the board with pick 17... IE if Jameson or Stingley is on the board it could get interesting.?

Comment

• electricgold
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2020
            • Send PM

Honestly, I like back-ups Chris Rumph and Christian Covington better than what we have starting at RT (Pipkins/Norton).
            No way am I willingly exposing Justin Herbert to Chandler Jones, Maxx Crosby, Frank Clark, Bradley Chubb, and whoever else may be drafted by our foes... just because there may be an injury (or not) to Bosa/Mack...

We are a line of scrimmage team... right now, there's only 1 glaring hole along the line of scrimmage....
            That's why IF Penning is who we thought he could be is there at 17 we have to really consider this.... Not to mention Maxx vs. Penning could be epic..

Comment

• electricgold
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

It's been mentioned numerous times that Wyatt had 3 domestic violence cases against him. Telesco is not going to draft that guy.
              Haven't heard about the domestic violence charges its a shame if true. I'm starting to think trading down could be our best option, but I don't believe TT ever has in the first round.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I have a really high opinion of certain rookie OL... not all. I have a high opinion of Kenyon Green and Zion Johnson.
                I've tried to convince myself of Bernhard Raimann and Trevor Penning @#17.

Trent McDuffie and Chris Olave both give me pause @#17.
                But neither are more polished than Kenyon Green.
                Neither will see as much playing time as Kenyon.
                Neither will make the immediate impact as Kenyon.
                And both positions are far more deep than OT/OG in this draft.

Are you looking at opportunity cost or return on investment.
                I'm curious to know who you believe to be worthy of the #79 pick along the OL...?
                I'd certainly put my #79 prospect up against yours.
                BPA still applies to the 3rd round, right...? The 4th round...? The 5th...?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  https://www.kansascity.com/sports/sp...260671637.html

The Chiefs feel this draft is lacking in players who have a true first round grade. They don't think that there will be any guys left at Nos. 29 & 30, where they draft, that are worth a first round pick. If they feel that way, it means the draft rooms of other teams feel the same. Which, IMO, means that teams with picks lower in the draft will be motivated to trade up, and I think the Chargers' No. 17 pick could be a sought after commodity, especially if a team is targeting one of the 1st round grade WRs that are expected to be available in the middle of Round 1 but off the board when they draft later in the round.

I think it's possible the Chargers could trade down and pick later in the 1st round, and pick up an additional 3rd round pick in the process. I don't think the Chargers would trade directly with the Chiefs, definitely WR needy, who have picks 29 & 30, but I will wouldn't rule it out. Green Bay, also WR needy, picks at 22 & 28. The Cowboys pick at 24, and they, like the Packers, are WR needy after sending Amari Cooper to the Browns. Detroit is another needy team that owns a late 1st round pick (No. 32 from the Rams). The Cards pick at No. 23 and may also be WR needy after losing Christian Kirk to the Jags.
                  Anywhere from 10 - 15, from what i've heard.

If one of them falls to 17, trade back? Probably not!

And if none of them fall to 17, who would want to trade up?

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

That's why IF Penning is who we thought he could be is there at 17 we have to really consider this.... Not to mention Maxx vs. Penning could be epic..
                    Chargers have secretly employed their own spy in the Trevor Penning camp.
                    His name is Rashawn Slater... LOL! Just kidding, of course.
                    But Rashawn would have a front row seat to the Trevor Penning Technique Overhaul Show.
                    Both have been working on their warts with Duke Manyweather.
                    I would suspect that working next to Penning doesn't bode well for Pip... LOL!

But it sure would be one hell of a way to evaluate the competing skillsets...

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Tom Telesco's greatest hits each round the last 8 drafts:

1rst round: Justin Herbert
                      2nd round: Denzel Perryman
                      3rd round: Dan Feeney
                      4rth round: Kyzir White
                      5th round: Desmond King
                      6th round: Darius Philon
                      7th round: Justin Jackson

Maybe we should spend more time on discussing his surprises in rounds 3 & 4

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

I couldn't care less about having a line-up full of All-Pros or not. I think we had 10 of them on that 2006 roster... and lost our first playoff game.
                        Give me a balanced, solid roster. You are only as strong as your weakest link.
                        You can get solid starters anywhere in the draft.

Why aim for a solid starter at #17?

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                          Tom Telesco's greatest hits each round the last 8 drafts:

1rst round: Justin Herbert
                          2nd round: Denzel Perryman
                          3rd round: Dan Feeney
                          4rth round: Kyzir White
                          5th round: Desmond King
                          6th round: Darius Philon
                          7th round: Justin Jackson

Maybe we should spend more time on discussing his surprises in rounds 3 & 4
                          It bothers me that we had some very good players on this list that we simply let go. What's the point in drafting then, teaching them, and then replacing them? I think we are too quick to replace our players.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X