• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the corners in this year’s draft slid. They did last year.

I have a theory as to why. There were 38 CBs drafted last year, more than any other position group, even more than WR, and 2021was supposed to be the deepest WR draft in years.

The depth at the CB position got GMs thinking they could grab a good one in the later rounds. So the early runs went on other position groups, like edge (see Payton Turner - slated as a 2nd/3rd - Saints took him at #28).

No one thought Asante would slide to us. Aaron Robinson was slated as a high 2nd rounder and slid to the 3rd. Molden was a slated as a borderline 1st/2nd and slid to pick 100. Melifonwu was a 2nd round lock and went one pick after Molden, in the 3rd.

The big run on CBs went from #71 and ended at #108, and by then almost all the talent was gone.

Most agree that 2022 is even deeper at CB than 2021. Talent will slide. All we need is a starting slot defender and depth.
    ASJ's concussions concern me (I predicted and mocked him in the 2nd to us numerous times). We need a guy that can play slot AND outside corner... in case of ASJ injury. If we wait too long (into the 2nd/3rd round) that kind of talent will not be available. Staley asks his CB's to do a lot. I like McDuffie/McCreary in the 1st round. Do not leave yourself thin at CB in the NFL. I think we saw what that gets you last year (I'm looking at you, Tevaughn Campbell)...

Comment

• foreigner
      Tom Telesco is gone
      • Sep 2013
      • Send PM

Best available DL or RT....

Comment

• Bolt Dude
        Draftnik
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

ASJ's concussions concern me (I predicted and mocked him in the 2nd to us numerous times). We need a guy that can play slot AND outside corner... in case of ASJ injury. If we wait too long (into the 2nd/3rd round) that kind of talent will not be available. Staley asks his CB's to do a lot. I like McDuffie/McCreary in the 1st round. Do not leave yourself thin at CB in the NFL. I think we saw what that gets you last year (I'm looking at you, Tevaughn Campbell)...
        I know you love this guy but have you seen any evidence that he can play slot?? I’m curious why you believe he has inside/outside versatility? Hunch?
        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

I know you love this guy but have you seen any evidence that he can play slot?? I’m curious why you believe he has inside/outside versatility? Hunch?
          The same hunch that leads you to believe Darrious Williams can play slot for us... traits.

"His mobility allows for all-around versatility. McCreary can be an effective defender both in the slot and on the boundary..."

"Roger McCreary is an exceptional athlete who plays with very good reactive athleticism, hips, and short-area quickness. McCreary is a willing wrap-up tackler in the run game and this projects well for his versatility to kick inside..."

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Bernhard Raimann. That's a tackle. #86

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Bernhard Raimann. That's a tackle. #86
              No way he’s 300lbs in that photo.
              Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

No way he’s 300lbs in that photo.
                Bernhard Raimann is a 6-7, 230-pound Tight End from Delton, MI. He has committed to Central Michigan Chippewas.

That was when he was tight end. In 2019. He put 70 lbs. on his frame and worked out with the Bengals OL coach in the off-season.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Both Staley and Telesco priority is to address IDL, Jordan Davis would be proof of that. Very coachable, hardworking, great attitude, intelligent, oh yeah still growing into his massive frame and from a winning culture.

So, if Trevor Penning is off the board, pick #17 for your Los Angelas Chargers is - Jordan Davis, IDL, UGA, 6-6 340 declares for draft 9 hours ago.
                  was gonna do an indepth look @Davis, but not gonna spend the time.... dude is def worth 17 overall, and.... will be surprised if he makes it by the Iggles.... don't think he's gonna be on the board for us.
                  5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

am gonna take a look @DeMarvin Leal, given that he was once upon a time a top ten prospect, and that we are purportedly/admittedly going after players to bolster our "defensive front."

after giving him a decent going over, gonna say pass, and not so much that he's not a good football player, just don't think we can afford to draft someone like him on the heels of Tillery.

he is disruptive and does get pressure, but he is inconsistent from game 2 game, and there is the question of how he wraps up.... all Tilleryesque traits.

there is also the question of how well can he disengage, and.... personally think he's an edge defender and not an IDL.... which then begs the question: is he better than Uchenna >> yes.

is he better than Travon/JJ2 >> no.

similar to Tillery, he's prolly better as a subpkg rusher, and similar to Mel, he gets his edge inside by outquicking the IOL, but do think he's gonna end up playing out wide, and where that is not quite as happenstance/effective, and the death knell.... there is the question as to how he might hold up against the run.... inside and out.

just can't get behind this guy.... not on my board, and again.... not coz he's not gonna have success in the NFL.... just not who I want to repeat any gambit with, and much prefer other options.

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

Please no to Leal

you got him nailed down pretty well

not interior (IDL) more of a 3-4 DE

Foreshadowing pick, are there more coaching changes coming?

Is Lombardi staying?

Staley plate must be full

Very disappointing from a defensive guru coach and such a glaring miss on right side of OL, especially given resources allocated in the offseason to protect Herbert

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Is Lombardi staying?
                        haven't heard anything along those lines, and.... was raisin' the flag for Joe Brady last go 'round,
                        Last edited by beachcomber; 01-24-2022, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

Playoff football is different than regular season football, that much was learned this past weekend. Regular season is a grind of attrition and depth. Playoffs are about off to the races with weapons, held in reserve unleashed in high volume to simply beat slower players to a spot then beyond for game winners.

Having said that #17 should be a multi-faceted tool that continues to cut and knife through obstacles throughout the game and into overtime. That one player, who could stop a Tyreek Hill or least slow him down until reinforcements come is Nakobe Dean Georgia. Much as I want to protect Herbert’s right side with best possible player or plug the interior DL with monster run stopper, it’s speed and athletic ability Chargers lack and no better defensive player left on your board than the Dean of 2022 LB class.

Comment

Working...
                          X