• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Who is Your Selection @17 ?? !!

Let's see if we can distill down and out this below list of 25 prospects to a near consensus cluster of 5.

Make your case as to why you think your guy will drop to us @17, and/or if from some peoples pov it might be a reach, make your case as to why your guy provides good (Staley) "value" @17.

How do you think he will fit in as a Charger, w/Staley, Renaldo Hill and/or Lombardi ??

Are you drafting just as much for need as you are liking the player ??

And feel free to eliminate guys based on red flags, off the board, or just too much of a reach, or maybe you've got your eye on someone for the same position or type of player later in the draft ??

What is your draft strategy and why do you think this guy is the best guy for the Chargers @17 ??

WR Treylon Burks, Jameson Williams, Garrett Wilson
    OT Trevor Penning, Ikem Okwonu, Charles Cross
    OG Zion Johnson, Kenyon Green
    OC Tyler Linderbaum

NT Jordan Davis
    DT DeMarvin Leal
    ED Drake Jackson, Cameron Thomas, Travon Walker, Jermaine Johnson, David Ojabo, George Karlaftis
    LB Nakobe Dean, Devin Lloyd
    CB Trent McDuffie, Kaiir Elam, Ahmad Gardner, Andrew Booth Jr., Derek Stingley Jr.
    S Daxton Hill

Screenshot 2022-01-17 114143.jpg
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton
  • TexanBeerlover
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2021
    • Send PM

Trevor Penning OT, Northern Iowa
    measureables post combine, but appears elite size
    Draft Stock Rising but still feel comfortable #17
    Starting LT, RT and RG experience.
    natural knee bender, maintains balance, centers up man and doesn’t loose engagement and finishes block. Mirror in pass protection or pull and drive opening up running lanes. Gives Chargers bookend tackles and versatility. Only red flag is level of competition but so was Ali Marpet, Tampa Bay starting LG but can also fill in RG or Center. Bottom line: Day one starter, OL done!

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Mock 18.0.png

I traded down with Dallas to take Jermaine Johnson at 24, but to be clear, I will take Johnson at 17.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Mock 19.0.png

This 1st Round pick provides Coach Staley's scheme with length, energy and speed to his Fangio pressure-scheme.

Add to this Mathis at DT and his play in solidifying Staley's vision of a four-man front - that reads pre-snap like a 5-man front - being able to anchor and stack and shed consistently in the run game, and beating his man, in one-on-one in the passing game. Kendrick and Chenal are for shoring up the pass coverage, Leo for his phenomenal play against the run.

Raimann and Goodson allow the Chargers to address the power running game and effective clock management, through ground control.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

Must be difficult as hell to manage/merge these threads….

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Mock 20.0.png

Channing Tindall beats Ken Murray in camp. Each of those three Bulldogs has spent time in Kirby Smart's pro 'stunting-blitzing' scheme with overload principles, and flourished. These guys are going to be ready to produce at a high level right out of the box.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

No way to tell before FA's get signed or re-signed.
              Assuming our big FA's get re-signed...

1a OT Charles Cross
              1b CB Trent McDuffie
              1c CB Roger McCreary

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

With the money we have, I expect to resign all our high impact FAs.

I also expect to bring in one or two high-priority FAs.

Depending on who the outside FAs are, I’d take one of the following: Davis, Trevon Walker, Cross, Penning, or McDuffie.

…unless someone unexpected falls, like Ekwonu or Karlaftis. In that case I’m drafting them, obviously.
                Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                  Mock 18.0.png

I traded down with Dallas to take Jermaine Johnson at 24, but to be clear, I will take Johnson at 17.

Ghost, gotta tell you.... don't watch a lotta tape, and.... Jolt might be right.... not sure that was first round film ??

yeah, he seemed to maintain leverage against the man opposite him, and seemed to be pretty good at getting/staying under the opposing lineman's pads.... he also commanded attention, w/the back chipping him or staying in to help out, and it wasn't uncommon for another lineman to slide over to offer help, and....

his pursuit left alot to be desired on a play or coupla few, and he made some plays, but not sure he was pressing the issue more oft than not, and there is a pressing question: was he a backup for a reason @Georgia ??

AJ would love his production, and personally do love his intangibles, and.... gonna be watching how he pans out during the draft process and as more of the talking heads weigh in on things.
                  RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

WR Treylon Burks, Jameson Williams, Garrett Wilson
                    OT Trevor Penning, Ikem Okwonu, Charles Cross
                    OG Zion Johnson, Kenyon Green
                    OC Tyler Linderbaum

NT Jordan Davis
                    DT DeMarvin Leal
                    ED Drake Jackson, Cameron Thomas, Travon Walker, Jermaine Johnson, David Ojabo, George Karlaftis
                    LB Nakobe Dean, Devin Lloyd
                    CB Trent McDuffie, Kaiir Elam, Ahmad Gardner, Andrew Booth Jr., Derek Stingley Jr.
                    S Daxton Hill
                    if I break down this 25 into clusters, think it looks something like the below.... speaking for myself of course,

WR Jameson Williams, Garrett Wilson, OG Zion Nelson, OC Tyler Linderbaum, ED Jermaine Johnson II * these are my guys atm, as would be stoked on most any of 'em as Chargers

WR Treylon Burks, ED Cameron Thomas, Travon Walker, LB Devin Lloyd, S Daxton Hill * my mind says these guys are all (really) good, but my heart is not as into 'em as the previous five

OT Ikem Okwonu, Charles Cross, NT Jordan Davis, DT DeMarvin Leal, ED George Karlaftis * think this party of five is gonna be off the board by seventeen

CB Trent McDuffie, Kaiir Elam, Ahmad Gardner, Andrew Booth Jr., Derek Stingley Jr. * just not a fan of a CB early unless really taken by said player, and.... if we're going DB early, am going Daxton

OT Trevor Penning, OG Kenyon Green, ED Drake Jackson, David Ojabo, LB Nakobe Dean * honorable mentions who eye just can't check the box for their intangibles, @least by my take

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                      Trevor Penning OT, Northern Iowa
                      measureables post combine, but appears elite size
                      Draft Stock Rising but still feel comfortable #17
                      Starting LT, RT and RG experience.
                      natural knee bender, maintains balance, centers up man and doesn’t loose engagement and finishes block. Mirror in pass protection or pull and drive opening up running lanes. Gives Chargers bookend tackles and versatility. Only red flag is level of competition but so was Ali Marpet, Tampa Bay starting LG but can also fill in RG or Center. Bottom line: Day one starter, OL done!
                      took a closer look @this guy given that he has been mentioned more than once already here, and think the main question for me is does he provide "Staley value" @17 ?? some peoples have him slotted day two, but personally think he's pretty much a solid last third of the first round, somewhere between 20-32 atm, unless of course team Tommy John, or another midround GM, feels otherwise.

the main cautionary tale is his level of competition, w/some mentions that he sometimes plays too high, and that his mindset might need to be coached up, that he sometimes lax focus, and can play down to his competition.... some suggest he can refine his hand placement and maintain more consistent leverage, and.... that said, he did fare well against Will McDonald of Iowa State, and peoples love his demeanor and physicality @somewhere in the neighborhood/vicinity of 6'5" & 325 lbs.... he is big, fast and athletic, and he is currently riding high on the coattails of Spencer Brown in plenty of draft circles.... his NFL compare is Matt Feiler.

edit: sorry, guess I wasn't done/was a bit premature w/the post....

'nother question 'bout Penning: is he Ryan Ramczyk good ?? a guy that went late round one, and of whom eye personally had as a top ten talent.

people also question whether Penning will be able to handle NFL speed around the edge, and suggest he can be sluggish into the second level and in pass pro ?? some say he is top heavy and even wonder if he might be a better blocker if he lost some weight ?? there is also mention of penalties when reviewing his games.

overall the consensus is that he has a high ceiling, albeit there might well be an NFL learning curve ahead for Trevor, and that he might be a year two/three starter ?? he was a former shot putter and discus thrower, has long arms @34 7/8, and w/10 1/8 hands, is an investment that some suggest might take a year or coupla few for the hoped for/expected ROI.

for myself, if going RT early, would prefer Daniel Faalele day two, as for now, am just not sure that Penning isn't just short of value @17 ??

Last edited by beachcomber; 01-17-2022, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                        No way to tell before FA's get signed or re-signed.
                        Assuming our big FA's get re-signed...

1a OT Charles Cross
                        1b CB Trent McDuffie
                        1c CB Roger McCreary
                        the other guy I'm gonna take a look at is McDuffie, as there seems to be some support for him beyond just Nutty....

dude has prototypical CB size @5'11" 195 lbs, is explosive, athletic and plays w/the quickness.... he is a quick twitch athlete w/the hops to challenge things vertically on defense, has good recovery speed and sudden lateral movement agility, can flip his hips and owns efficient footwork, is instinctual in the open field and has long speed to get after the long ball. people also cite his composure and mental quickness, and add that he is crafty, and while others volunteer that he is a capable tackler and perhaps a (punt) return man to boot.

any cautionary tale around McDuffie usually calls to his somewhat slight frame by some peoples measure, saying that he can be outmuscled, due to his somewhat middling length/strength, and that size matters, as they scry that he may find difficulty w/oversized receivers and TEs. there are mentions of his lack of ball production and that he is two inches shy of his fellow first round corners.

dude sounds like a slot corner in the NFL to me, that can play outside for the if and when need be, albeit some suggest he could well be an NFL lockdown corner. his NFL compare is PJ Williams/Byron Murphy.

for myself, there is no doubt that dude has talent and is gonna be a force for someone in their NFL defensive backfield, albeit and again by my take, just can't get the boyz II men thing outta my mind when am looking @the "man." know he delivers the goods, and.... again, just not checking the intangibles box for myself, and not to mention am not overly enamored by CB @17.

Comment

Working...
                        X