• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Byron Young – DL – Alabama | 6’3”, 292 lbs

The Steelers may not be in need of another 3-4 defensive end after the drafting of DeMarvin Leal, but one of the best individual performances in Week 11 came from Alabama’s Byron Young, not to be confused with the Tennessee EDGE rusher Byron Young. The Alabama standout has improved as a pass rusher in 2022, as he has now recorded 3.5 sacks this season. It may not seem like a lot, but that is more than his 2020 and 2021 totals combined. This past Saturday against Ole Miss, Young recorded 2 of those 3.5 sacks, as well as 11 tackles, 2 quarterback hurries, and 1 pass defended. With a strong finish to the season, he could very well push Day 2 territory.
    Others Who Improved Their Stock

DeMarvion Overshown — ILB — Texas (11 TCKL, 0.5 SCK)
    Jared Verse | EDGE | Florida State (4 TCKL, 1 SCK)
    Alex Forsyth — C — Oregon
    Sedrick Van Pran — C — Georgia
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

I’m in on Miyan Williams. 15 carries for 147 yards and a score in this one. I think with Williams the thing that stands out is his speed and toughness. For a bigger back, he can move just way better than a guy like Kyren Williams for example. The fact that he’s Ohio State’s number two back is going to make him a value on draft day.
      I’ll just say this. I’ll sleep fine at night turning the card in for Bryan Bresee. He’s damn good. Had a stunt move early in the game for a sack. Easy, easy mover. I can’t see how he doesn’t at least work to some degree.
      Bijan Robinson had 12 carries for 29 yards. They literally did not move the football. It was really hard to watch. I don’t know what to think. That was a Big 12 game, right? I don’t know what I saw. Maybe a lot of people are to blame but whatever it was… that was ugly.
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

12. Rome Odunze | Washington | 6’3” 205 lbs

On an explosive Washington offense with NFL talent, Odunze is the featured playmaker. His ascension as a prospect should not come as a surprise. He was a four-star recruit and produced well in his redshirt freshman season, but DeBoer’s arrival was what unlocked Odunze. He has the NFL size and length you like to see, combined with an explosive skill set and ability to beat up on man coverage. Jalen McMillan had been considered the Washington receiver to roster in devy circles, but Odunze has quickly proved to be the better asset.

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

DeMarvion Overshown, LB, Texas (senior)
          6-foot-3 1/2, 224 pounds

I previewed Overshown last season, and then briefly mentioned him again earlier this season, but he remains one of my favorite players and deserves some more love. Long, fluid, fast, and aggressive, Overshown brings the wood with authority. As a former safety, he has natural instincts in coverage and explodes to the ball.

Lions fit: The Lions need linebackers who can cover and Overshown can do that and so much more. Additionally, his ability to contribute on special teams is a massive plus.

An excerpt from The Athletic’s Dane Brugler’s mailbag:
          “For Texas to slow down the Horned Frogs, Overshown will need to play a complete game. Though he can be inconsistent with his take-on and finishing, the Longhorns’ linebacker flies around the field like he was shot out of a cannon. Some scouts believe Overshown will be a Day 2 draft pick.”

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah (senior)
            6-foot-4, 240 pounds

Kincaid, a TE-F (pass catcher), entered the season as a tight end to watch, then he announced himself to the world against USC this season, finishing the game with 16 receptions on 16 targets for 234 yards and a touchdown. Yo.

Lions fit: The Lions have two tight ends with balanced skill sets on the roster but, after trading way T.J. Hockenson, they lack a player at the position capable of separating and making big-time catches.

An excerpt from The Athletic’s Dane Brugler, just missed the top-50 article:
            “As a blocker, Dalton Kincaid has been inconsistent this season. But NFL teams looking for an athletic pass catcher at tight end will love what he has to offer. Kincaid quickly enters his routes to create passing windows and shows outstanding focus and ball skills. His best trait might be how quickly he transitions from a receiver to a runner and picks up yards after the catch.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0EUKC1_AHo&t=26s

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Another running back who had a career day was Texas' Bijan Robinson. Though he has had a rollercoaster season, he is still considered the top running back prospect and showed why this week. His career-high 243 yards and four touchdowns(also career-high) show just how much of a game-wrecker he can be.
              Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas
              As we reported in the Hot Press, sources from a number of teams have Robinson graded higher than other recent top five running back prospects of Saquon Barkley, Leonard Fournette and Ezekiel Elliott. Here is the quote from one area scout:
              "It's rare that the best pure runner is also the best pure receiver; that's what makes Bijan unique," said an area scout. "He can legitimately go run routes like a true receiver. His skill set is more Marshall Faulk than any of those guys. Saquon can obviously win in the passing game, but he's not out running routes like Reggie Bush (Bijan does). His ball skills are as good as the top receivers in this class.

"There are other runners on his level or even a notch better, but you're talking about the elite of every class, even on that alone. You can realistically run the offense thru him because he's in on every situation as your RB1, 1-2nd Down, 2 minute, 4 minute. He's more advanced all around than [Reggie] Bush, Joe Mixon, Saquon, Zeke. McCaffrey would have been like that had he been 215 pounds like Bijan. You have to go back to Faulk to find an elite runner and receiver like Bijan."

A couple days after our report, Robinson had the best game of his collegiate career, running for 243 yards and four touchdowns on 25 carries versus Kansas. The last time a running back was selected as a top-20 pick in an NFL draft was Saquon Barkley in 2018, and given the immense love for Robinson as a prospect, he looks poised to be a top-10 pick next April in the 2023 NFL Draft. He could even crack the top five like Barkley, Fournette and Elliott did.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

YaYa Diaby, DE, Louisville
                The 6-foot-4, 270-pound Diaby has been a tough defender for the Cardinals this season. On the year, he has recorded 6.5 sacks, 31 tackles and one pass batted. Diaby has good size and has shown improved pass-rush ability as a senior. He accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl.
                Clark Phillips, CB, Utah
                Evaluators still have Phillips as an early-round prospect for the NFL, but they have been disappointed with his film this year compared to 2021. They feel Phillips has missed some tackles, and missed some particularly badly in space. Phillips has shown some stiffness, and he does not look like the same player as in 2021. Perhaps Phillips is protecting himself and trying to avoid injury, but being a 5-foot-9 cornerback presents limitations, and teams are only projecting him to serve as a slot cornerback.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Now let’s get to Blake Corum. Let’s just summarize it like this. During the broadcast that fraud Todd McShay is doing his song and dance about how Brown and Corum have raised their draft stock. He goes on and on and eventually says both are probably going to be third or fourth round picks. That right there is my whole point. That’s still too high.

I’m not saying the guy is super terrible but you’re going to get your heart broken if you really good off the deep end here. Honestly reminds me a lot of Kyren Williams. You can tell he’s slow. Decent cuts and can show off the power. Got hurt in the middle of the game and you could tell he was better than Isaiah Gash. I’m not sure he’s better than CJ Stokes though which should tell you where I stand here.
                  Marvin Harrison Jr just swallows everything around him. It’s truly incredible to watch.
                  Caleb Williams is the best quarterback draft prospect of possibly my lifetime. I really think that.

Make no mistake, Jordan Addison is very, very real. Blew up once again with 11 receptions for 178 yards and a score. I think he looks very similar to Calvin Ridley. Slippery, fast, and has that craft part of his game taken care of. If I were to include Addison in last year’s draft, I’d put him 4th behind Pickens, Olave, and Wilson from my rankings a year ago. I think he’s a first round player and someone that I feel very confident will outproduce a DJ Moore-type guy in the NFL.
                  on a personal note, took some grief for my love for Pickens, and Wilson was my hands down No. 1, and was "ok" w/Olave if the Chargers went w/him there.... just sayin'

This USC defense is god awful....
                  just for posterity, and re: Kincaid's run the table day against 'em.

Speaking of (Hendon) Hooker, I didn’t catch much of the South Carolina game. Apparently, Spencer Rattler remembered how to play again. Hooker tore his ACL which is just so brutal for his stock. Older quarterback that needed to finish the year strong.

He’s going to enter the draft and I can’t wait to see what the loser analysts that know nothing decide what to do with him. Has some talent but you better be careful unless you want your heart broken.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                    We have a chance at getting Bijan.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

We have a chance at getting Bijan.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7WR-g7YDnE

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

• Arizona Cardinals: Joey Porter Jr, CB, Penn State – Do the Cardinals finally draft a top corner to try and fix their secondary, probably not. Should they, a hundred percent yes. Porter has been the best college corner in man coverage this season, something the Cardinals are running at a near 67% rate. He’s posted only one career interceptions but 20 breakups. He helps a much needed Cardinals secondary.
                        • Washington Commanders: Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State – Charles Leno and Cornelius Lucas are filler options for the Commanders. Both have played above expectations but neither are long term starters. Sam Cosmi has looked good in limited fashion also and pairing him with Johnson would give much needed stability on Washingont’s offensive line. Johnson is a freak of nature, insanely athletic and has only allowed a career five sacks over three years.
                        • Los Angeles Chargers: Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson – The Chargers defense is decent, it needs work and that starts at the second level. Kenneth Murray hasn’t lived up to expectations and Drue Tranquill is a decent second linebacker. Simpson is a playmaker, on tape he flashes in the run but he’s best in coverage, especially on tight ends. Something the Chargers have always struggled with.
                        • Cincinnati Bengals: Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame – The Bengals offense is elite, now add the best tight end in college football and what more can you expect. Mayer holds the Notre Dame record for receptions, yards and touchdowns by a tight end in school history with 167 receptions, 1937 yards and 16 touchdowns over 34 games. He’s a strong and willing blocker as well. Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon, and Mayer with Joe Burrow under center are nearly unstoppable.
                        • Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon – The Buccaneers secondary hasn’t been what they expected and while Jamel Dean is seeing a breakout campaign there’s a strong chance he could walk in free agency. It’s a talented roster overall, and Gonzalez is a speedy, physical corner. He plays the run incredibly well, something the Bucs highly value in their defensive backs.
                        • Denver Broncos (via SF through MIA): Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia – The Broncos can finally end their woes at right tackle with Jones. They don’t need any offensive firepower or defensive talent just work on the line. Jones is a monster athlete at nearly six foot seven, he provides an anchor in the run game but mainly as a pass protector. He’s allowed only three sacks and 16 pressures in a strong SEC for pass rushers. Paired with Garrett Bolles they’d form a good tackle duo.
                        • New England Patriots: Zay Flower, WR, Boston College – Flowers isn’t usually looked at as a first rounder receiver but he’s deserving of it. The Patriots don’t have many receivers that can play much, outside of Meyers and Thornton. However, Meyers, Parker and Agholor are free agents at the end of this season and Flowers provides them with a potential playmaker from the slot. He’s posted 2900 yards (1525 post catch) and 27 touchdowns on only 180 receptions. He’s an explosive athlete post catch and stretches the field for a much needed WR team.
                        • Buffalo Bills: Jahmyr Gibbs, HB, Alabama – The Bills just drafted James Cook in the second round and traded for Nyheim Hines, showing their wish to get better at running back especially in receiving form. Gibbs is a playmaker, he’s fast, strong, explosive and a great pass blocker as well. He’s a dual threat back and only takes the Bills to another level on offense, coming off 1980 rushing yards, 1138 receiving yards, and 22 total touchdowns in only 29 career games.
                        • Tennessee Titans: Tyree Wilson, DL, Texas Tech – Wilson is getting much deserved respect this season but he’s deserved it for a while. He’s posted a career 18 sacks, 33 tackles for loss, 121 tackles, two interceptions and two forced fumbles in 37 games through four years. At 6-6, 275 he can rush from a two point stance, four point inside or outside the tackle and some at DT. The Titans pass rush is strong but could only get better with Wilson.
                        • Dallas Cowboys: Clark Phillips III, CB, Utah – The Cowboys corner depth really falls off after Trevon Diggs and Phillips can be that. He’s a true ballhawk and playmaker at corner. He’s posted 107 tackles, eight interceptions, 22 breakups, three forced fumbles and an impressive four touchdowns in only 29 games. The Cowboys lack a corner opposite Diggs, and Phillips can be another cornerstone on the Dallas defense which is a top three unit in the league.
                        • Minnesota Vikings: OCyrus Torrence, G/C, Florida – Not many know of Torrence but they should. The Vikings offense is unstoppable at times and only gets better with increased talent on the interior especially in run blocking. Torrence is 6-6, 330 as an interior lineman with powerful arms and legs to punish defensive tackles.
                        • Philadelphia Eagles: Noah Sewell, LB, Oregon – The Eagle kept adding to their defense with Sewell. For an extremely talented unit they could use work on the second level and that’s Sewell. He’s made a career 205 tackles, 19 TFL, eight sacks, three interceptions, eight breakups and three forced fumbles in 31 games. First round including Sewell and Carter to an already talented defense works wonders for them.
                        • Houston Texans: Brian Branch, SAF, Alabama – This is technically a second round pick but I’m going to count it with the first round. Branch has flexibility to play nickel corner, free, strong, and box safety. He’s posted 144 tackles, 14 for loss, four sacks, an interceptions, 23 breakups and three forced fumbles over his 32 game career. The much needed versatility is important for a young Texans secondary. Houston comes out of Day one adding a starting quarterback, corner and safety which for a young team in much need of talent is amazing.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Pitt RB Israel Abanikanda

Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

The FBS leader in both touchdowns (19) and scoring (116 points), Abanikanda is exactly the threat the Chiefs have been lacking at the running back position. The 5-11 and 215-pound halfback is explosive, averaging 5.5 yards per carry to this point in his college career. He’s elusive, boasting tackle-breaking balance and strength in the run game. He also can catch the ball out of the backfield, with 36 career receptions for 346 yards and three touchdowns.

With the shift to Isiah Pacheco and another injury to Clyde Edwards-Helaire, it feels like it’s only a matter of time before Kansas City invests more draft capital into the running back position. Abanikanda could help provide a nice complement to Pacheco in the future. Pass-blocking hasn’t exactly been Abanikanda’s forte, with nine pressures (including two sacks) on 54 attempts so far this season according to PFF.

Comment

Working...
                          X