• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexanBeerlover
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I think he's both. It's what I like about him so much.
    DC's are trying to figure out how to get more DB's onto the field every year.
    Problem is... it leaves a defense weak against the run. For our Chargers team, that's already an issue.

We're probably losing Tranquil, Callahan, and Adderly in free agency.
    How do you fix your run defense, stay prepared to defend the passing games of the Chiefs [Buffalo, Cincinati, Miami], and replace those 3 players...?
    Oh... and don't forget... you have a 1st round LB (you traded up for) that hasn't lived up to his potential...

Lately, I've been reading up on the "Ameba" defense. Basically, it's a 5-1-5 defense that changes to fit different offensive formations. It's hard for QB's to read because it's constantly flowing as if there are no real positions for its players. It's the ultimate defense to be in if you want to disguise coverages and pass rush assignments. The problem is... you need lots of "hybrid" players... and you need to be able to stop the run... see our playoff loss to the Patriots several years back.

So what does any of this have to do with JL Skinner...? Believe it or not... I think it actually starts with K9.
    I think Staley needs to set Kenneth Murray free. I want to puke every time I see Kenneth Murray drop into coverage. I want to see him go attack the RB and QB. Period. Make this game easier for him. Make this game the same game that he was so exciting to watch back in college. I admit it. I was a big fan of K9 when we drafted him. To this day, I think I've seen the Chargers use him correctly... ONCE!

In order to set K9 free, I think you need the personnel. In particular, you need 2 big safeties. Safeties that can read, cover, and tackle. We have 1 in Derwin. Problem is the other safety. Even if we re-sign Adderly (a mistake, I think)... he's not a sound tackler. And JT Woods aint it, either. Now, I'm not saying Skinner = Derwin. But I do believe Skinner = Rayshawn Jenkins or Adrian Phillips... or better. Imagine having 2 strong safeties on the field at the same time. Guys who could move into the box and be counted on to fill a running lane... or cover a TE across the middle... or RB in the flat... or defeat a WR/TE blocker in a bunch formation.

How many times have you seen Derwin chase a WR or TE across the formation only to see the play go the opposite direction...? Too many times. OC's are too smart to let your your best playmakers get involved. But what if you took those multiple responsibilities away and let your playmakers and just let them play...? Oh, you're going to send WR's/TE's away from me...? Great... I'm going to go attack your QB while my teammate covers the TE/WR/RB in motion. You play Derwin on one side... Skinner on the other. Skinner, in effect, replaces both Adderly AND Tranquill. You go 1 LB because you can now... with 2 strong safeties on the field.

And the 5-1-5 can be strong against the run, too. It allows you to have 3 DL in a "Tite" formation. A majority of the time, you've got 5 v 5 across the OL. 1 NT, 2 DE's (4i), 2 OLB's.
    In obvious passing situations, you sub 1 player... a DT (4i) for an extra safety (Woods). You could play 3 deep (safeties) and 4 under (CB, CB, NB, LB) in a zone. You would always have CB, CB, NB in. The key (IMO) are the cover corners. You have to have corners that can survive in man-to-man when asked to do so. The "Ameba" defense sends LB's and safeties into running lanes and on blitzes. It's a defense that creates confusion and pressure from multiple spots... and relies on sound coverage from your DB's.

Anyone watch the Utah/USC game last night. I didn't. I noticed USC WR (Addison) had a quiet game. How did my guy Clark Phillips do...? I assume he was on Addison most of the night...
    Shows me your just another fan, like rest of us draft guru wanna-bees, love that kind of ownership and passion.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Shows me your just another fan, like rest of us draft guru wanna-bees, love that kind of ownership and passion.
      Love my Draft Guru Wanna-Be Brothers! Keep the info coming.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

2023 NFL Draft Stock Down

Julius Brents, CB, Kansas State
        Brents was charged with taking on TCU's Quentin Johnston (6-4) in the Big XII Championship. It was a big-versus-big, as Brents is a 6-foot-3 cornerback who moves pretty well for his size. Brents though had a rough outing despite his team coming away with the win. He was called for multiple pass-interference penalties for grabbing downfield, and he dropped an easy interception. The pass was thrown up for grabs like a punt, and Brents let the uncontested catch fall right through his hands. Brents did reel in an interception on an underthrown pass in the end zone. He also came back to break up a deep ball in coverage on Johnston late in the fourth quarter.

The Big XII Championship showed the good and bad with Brents. He has excellent size for matching up with big receivers, alongside length, some ball skills, and instincts. Brents, however, faces speed limitations that could make him more of a No. 2 or 3 corner in the pros, and that makes him a second-day prospect for the 2023 NFL Draft​.
        Julius Brents Should No Longer Be Under The Radar

Acover corner with a wingspan of nearly seven feet and arms that droop down to his knees, Saturday’s Big 12 title game set the stage for Kansas State’s Julius Brents to shine. In a matchup against TCU’s Quentin Johnston that saw two NFL talents line up nose-to-nose all afternoon long, Brents saw his stock rise in Kansas State’s victory.

A Senior Bowl invite, fifth-year senior, and former transfer from the University of Iowa, Brents was as disruptive as you could possibly be on the outside. While he allowed just his second touchdown of the season against the Horned Frogs in 424 coverage snaps combined this fall, diving deeper into his game highlights one of the more impressive perimeter stalwarts in the 2023 NFL Draft—even among an impressive corner class. It’s not often you find corners with 34-inch plus arms. While Penn State’s Joey Porter Jr. and his pterodactyl-like appendages have received all the rave reviews, Brents sits in the same boat, and his ability to holster Johnston opened eyes both for myself and those within the industry.

At 6-foot-4, he fits the CB1 mold at the next level. At a position that has seen the play of long, aggressive corners like New York Jets’ top-five pick Sauce Gardner and Seattle’s steal of the draft in Tariq Woolen battle for the DROY award, skill sets like Brents’ translate to the highest level of the game. A perimeter black hole that’s allowed just 22 catches on 48 targets (45.8% reception percentage), Brents has recorded four interceptions, three PBUs, and has evolved into one of the nation’s elite man defenders. For offenses, his presence at times has shut down a third of the field.

While Brents has been a tad grabby this fall (six penalties), his aggressive nature constantly put Johnston in a bind, forcing the receiver to go deep into his bag to create open throwing lanes. Julius Brents is always quick to close. While his upright, high-hipped build would make it look difficult for him to rapidly change direction, he constantly plays with a low center of gravity and equilibrium that allows him to work downhill and to his left and right in the blink of an eye. And when you add in his willingness to stick his face in the mud at the catch point where his length gives pass-catchers nightmares when trying to secure the football, you find yourself with a top-100 pick when it’s all set and done.
        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Stock Down

Noah Sewell, LB, Oregon

Sewell had as bad of a start to a season as any 2023 prospect. In Oregon’s first game against Georgia (a huge game for Sewell’s draft stock), the third-year linebacker missed 33% of his tackle attempts—which is an abysmal number to post. Sewell looked like the worst player on the field. Per PFF, Sewell’s missed tackle percentage has since dropped to 11.1% on the year compared to 17.9% in 2021. Sewell has an extremely compact frame, which limits his fluidity in coverage. The downhill speed still exists, while ability to navigate to the ball and tackling issues remain in question. Sewell went from having a decent shot at the first round to being an unknown in terms of projection. Sewell likely has a third-/fourth-round evaluation by most teams at this stage.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

This year’s crop of wide receiver prospects took a serious hit between the disappointment of Boutte and the lack of Smith-Njigba in 2022. He went from 95 catches in 2021 to five in 2022. It wasn’t due to a drop-off in play—we really don’t know what JSN would have looked like in 2022 alongside sophomore sensations Marvin Harrison Jr. and Emeka Egbuka. Smith-Njigba suffered a hamstring injury Week 1 against Notre Dame. He attempted to return two weeks later where he re-aggravated the injury. Smith-Njigba remained out for over a month until he played against Iowa in late October. He caught one pass before once again leaving the game. He hasn’t been seen since and it seems unlikely he’ll play another game for the Buckeyes before a potential declaration. One of the more fun players in the 2023 NFL Draft has one true season of tape to utilize. Missing the season will stack upon athleticism concerns for Smith-Njigba. In addition, he has been a slot-only player for the Buckeyes in his time in Columbus, OH.

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2020
            • Oklahoma
            • Send PM

image.png

Here is a dream come true draft and PFF gives it a C+. Doesn't even have the 6th recovered from da Bears

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2021
              • Send PM

image.png
              Have to improve Weapons and Protection for Herbert. Flat out simple. Staley's & Telescos jobs on the line. Trade back after 1st pick (homerun solve TE gap) to address pressing needs on the cheap. Starting with OL depth on edge/guard and one of the best Center prospects in this whole class and probably selected earlier (so this is no reach) then a pair of WR's Toolsie Keenan Allen clone and lighting quick deep threat and returner. Couple of Clemson Defensive linemen next, Edge and DT to shore up pass rush and run stop. Finishing strong on defense @ LB and CB to add depth to both groups. Plan was to add more quality picks/players using both early and later selections in trades and it worked. Very happy with the players and positions addressed.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Screenshot 2022-12-10 002523.jpg
                last simulator mock, wasn't paying attention, and drafted two RBs, and while Abanikanda might be the better player than Julius Brents, think I prolly coulda, shoulda, woulda drafted the CB over RB ??
                this run thru, felt like I got a whopper on the line w/O'Cyrus round two, and still got Kincaid on top of that, albeit Eichenberg was a need pick, and not so excited 'bout him.
                @CB would be looking Cameron Brown as an UDFA.

ps. think Odunze is reportedly returning to school for the '023 ??

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Screenshot 2022-12-10 004047.jpg

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                    An F for Wilson at 17? Makes no sense to me.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

I had similar experiences at that similation.

You go CB/WR or whatever predictable PFF positions of value you can think of and you might get a B+ here and there.

Tyree is an excellent prospect and would give us the third big EDGE to make Khalil/Joey more impactful.

Brugler has us taking big EDGE, also with inside-outside flexibility...dude out of Iowa.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        I had similar experiences at that similation.

You go CB/WR or whatever predictable PFF positions of value you can think of and you might get a B+ here and there.

Tyree is an excellent prospect and would give us the third big EDGE to make Khalil/Joey more impactful.

Brugler has us taking big EDGE, also with inside-outside flexibility...dude out of Iowa.
                        And Jared Verse at 48? I'd do that in about a second.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

And Jared Verse at 48? I'd do that in about a second.
                          Many talented moving pieces in the Front Seven is a win.

PFF loves to talk about our run defense.

Guess they don't want us to set the EDGE on both sides.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X